Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Whats wrong with Cooper Baseball?

Featured Replies

Whats the deal with them? Consistently starting 2 freshman and a sophomore? Is there no junior or seniors who can start?

Need an update from Hellbird.

 

Know they lost a lot to graduation last year.

Are the freshmen and sophomore starting because they are that good or because Cooper does not have enough upperclassmen? There is nothing wrong with freshmen starting in baseball if they are that good.

The question you have to ask yourself is, are those 3 better at their positions than any other kids on the team. Obviously they must be, if they get the nod most of the games. But a lot has to go into it, such as work ethic and you also have to look to the future. And rest assured it is not the Freshman or Sophomore's fault if a coach brings them up and starts them. And then there is the final factor, people complaining behind the scenes, let me tell you, that helps no one . So keep it real my peeps, don't blame the little guys, just keep shakin your head, and one day the method or the madness will come out.

Who are the Freshman and the sophomore? That will tell a lot.

I'd say most teams have at least one sophomore in the starting lineup, and it's certainly not rare for freshman or even 8th graders to start.

I'd say most teams have at least one sophomore in the starting lineup, and it's certainly not rare for freshman or even 8th graders to start.

I would say it is rare for a big school like Cooper to start two freshman. I think you see that more in smaller schools. The freshman must be pretty good at their position or there is reasons/ issues behind the lineup. I was at a couple of their games and I was surprised by some of the names that were on the bench.

I don't know a lot about the Cooper Baseball program but I do know one of the Freshman that starts is very athletic and has earned his starting spot. The same young man started on the varsity football team this past season and they made it to the state semi-finals. He is a very talented athlete and is athletically mature for his age. The other two I can't speak to.

I've been to two of their games and it looks to me like the new coach is trying to turn the program around and one of the ways to do that is by playing the younger guys to see what you have for the future. If you have some seniors and/or juniors who aren't very good then there's no reason to play them if they are leaving the program. From what I've heard the last couple of years it sounds more like the previous coaching staff really didn't do anything to get the program up and running when the school started a few years ago and now the new coach is basically starting over and doesn't have much upper class talent.

Another thing that is really important in high school baseball is solid pitching. If you have great pitching than that makes up for a lot of issues. Cooper has one or two "solid" pitchers but nothing that stands out. Pair that with an awful display of swinging the bats right now and it is a recipe for disaster

Southwestern pulaski starts a freshman. He plays 1st or 3rd depending on who is pitching and another freshman pinch runs. Sw also starts soph in centerfield and 2nd base. So not really very odd. Last year SW started 3 soph and two freshman.

Cooper 12

Ryle 7

 

Great Job Cooper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure what's wrong with Cooper, but they almost beat Boone last week. They had really good pitching from their starter and they played really well on defense. Now they beat Ryle 12-7. I'd say their coach is doing a good job and it looks like they are turning the corner. If playing the younger more talented players is the key then they should probably continue with that approach. Congrats to Cooper!

I would say Cooper and Ryle lost more than any team in the 33rd last year. I think Cooper only has maybe 2-3 guys that started varsity last year. Very young at the varsity level.

Cooper lost a lot over the last 2 years due to graduation. They were loaded with talent the last 2 years but most graduated. Their entire starting 9 from last year graduated except for 2 I believe. As far as the freshman go, they had a really good group of 8th graders last year who all played and mostly started for the Freshman team. They will be fine the next few years, its just this year outside of Pat Dragan and Hawthorn the 2 seniors this year who started last year, their position players are basically all new to Varsity ball. Their freshman are good but it may be just as much as need to use them as talent wise.

 

I know they were loaded at Catcher the last couple years and now they are really short at that position so that may be one of the freshman playing.

 

So basically it isn't the "Lets give the younger guys a chance to see what they can do" it's more like, all we have are young guys and underclassmen so that's who has to play. I'd be surprised if there are 6 seniors on the team. They just don't have a lot.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.