Rick Barnes to Tennessee

BIG BLACK JACK

I didn't want to see that. Barnes is an excellent coach imo. He was at Texas 17 yrs. (I think) and brought that program to one of the top programs in the Big12 and America. Barnes fell off the expectations the he built at Texas, still having good recruiting classes and not doing well at all in the post season. Sometimes when a coach falls off like that it's a good sign that he had done about all he could possibly have at the particular school.

I think that Barnes will do a very good job building a consistent winner at Tenn., hence the reason that I didn't want him at Tennessee.

Doesn't seem like it happens often. However, makes sense if you think about it. Roughly the same geographic area, same regional recruiting base, knowledge of the schools you'd be playing. Plus, in this case, the $ would have to be better.

Not sure I'd wear the orange at that school down south but that's just me.

How often do coaches move from one school to another in the same conference without being fired (ie Pearl)...does it happen often?

Don't think it happens too often. I know Tubby did when he came to Kentucky, but can't think of any others.

I'm sure there are others but that's the only one I could think of right off too.

Different sport, but Billy Curry from Alabama to Kentucky.

I guess I'll be the one that doesn't get it. Is he an upgrade? Sure he is. But the guy has done less with more than pretty much any coach in America. There were far better options IMO for Tennessee to go after.

I see both sides on Barnes. He has never really impressed me as coach and seems to underperform his talent. However, he has coached at four schools and has been a winner at every one of them

I guess I'll be the one that doesn't get it. Is he an upgrade? Sure he is. But the guy has done less with more than pretty much any coach in America. There were far better options IMO for Tennessee to go after.

I think a big reason is that Tennessee knows he's a safe hire, and he has great name recognition.