March 14, 201511 yr Final. Boatwright continues the trend of UConn PGs driving daggers into the chest of UC players and fans.
March 14, 201511 yr UC falls into a tough bracket having to play UCONN on their home court in their first game, but Tulsa has to play them there tomorrow. UConn counting by three's for a period in the second half was remarkable. I'm not sure how UC stayed in the game during this frame, given their offensive struggles at times. An AAC game that sure looked a lot more like an old fashioned Big East game than the Big East segments I watched tonight. When UC tied the game, I looked at the time, and knew Boatwright would win this one in regulation.
March 15, 201511 yr Care to elaborate? Movement on offense in the 2nd half and the way they defended the final play come to mind... Still can't figure out why Shaq Thomas was on Brimah leaving Ellis on Hamilton on the last play. That allowed the big/small switch and gave Boatright the matchup to get the step back. And when Boatright came off the ball screen you had to jump him and double, Force the ball out of his hands and make someone other than their best player beat you.
March 15, 201511 yr Movement on offense in the 2nd half and the way they defended the final play come to mind... Still can't figure out why Shaq Thomas was on Brimah leaving Ellis on Hamilton on the last play. That allowed the big/small switch and gave Boatright the matchup to get the step back. And when Boatright came off the ball screen you had to jump him and double, Force the ball out of his hands and make someone other than their best player beat you. Tried to out think UConn and it backfired. Were banking on Brimah setting the screen, and wanted Thomas on the switch. UConn saw it and used Hamilton instead. Couldn't double because Johnson got himself hung up on the screen. He needed to go over/under and tried to fight through. UConn won the chess match and hit the shot. It happens...
March 15, 201511 yr Tried to out think UConn and it backfired. Were banking on Brimah setting the screen, and wanted Thomas on the switch. UConn saw it and used Hamilton instead. Couldn't double because Johnson got himself hung up on the screen. He needed to go over/under and tried to fight through. UConn won the chess match and hit the shot. It happens... Even after getting hung up on the screen Johnson needed to run at him to force the ball out of Boatrights hands. Talked to someone today that commented that that likely leaves Hamilton open. I contend the defense woulda rotated and forced the extra pass, then it gets dicey as to whether they get the shot off. Or you make a freshman make a game winner rather than the senior. Having Ellis on Hamilton rather than Thomas was over coaching. Of course, if it worked, it was a great move, but it didn't so...
March 15, 201511 yr Even after getting hung up on the screen Johnson needed to run at him to force the ball out of Boatrights hands. Talked to someone today that commented that that likely leaves Hamilton open. I contend the defense woulda rotated and forced the extra pass, then it gets dicey as to whether they get the shot off. Or you make a freshman make a game winner rather than the senior. Having Ellis on Hamilton rather than Thomas was over coaching. Of course, if it worked, it was a great move, but it didn't so... I would have like to see Johnson run at him as well, but that is much easier to say from the couch on a play that happened in 2 seconds real time. I also think they over thought putting Ellis on Hamilton, but reality is UConn was sending the guy he was guarding either way. He checks Brimah and they send him to create the mismatch. Could have gone 5 small or played the zone to negate the pick. Staff made a decision and Boatright made the shot. Sports...
March 15, 201511 yr I would have like to see Johnson run at him as well, but that is much easier to say from the couch on a play that happened in 2 seconds real time. I also think they over thought putting Ellis on Hamilton, but reality is UConn was sending the guy he was guarding either way. He checks Brimah and they send him to create the mismatch. Could have gone 5 small or played the zone to negate the pick. Staff made a decision and Boatright made the shot. Sports... Thing about it is is that if Brimah sets the screen he's not near the offensive threat that Hamilton is on the roll/pop. I just felt like it could've been said in the huddle if Boatright goes off a ball screen were going to jump him. But I know a lot goes on in those huddles. But that seems to be a pretty important thing to say. I know the guy hit a great shot but I felt like the second half they could have done a fair few things that coulda changed the outcome in their favor.
March 15, 201511 yr Thing about it is is that if Brimah sets the screen he's not near the offensive threat that Hamilton is on the roll/pop. I just felt like it could've been said in the huddle if Boatright goes off a ball screen were going to jump him. But I know a lot goes on in those huddles. But that seems to be a pretty important thing to say. I know the guy hit a great shot but I felt like the second half they could have done a fair few things that coulda changed the outcome in their favor. A fair whistle over the final 10 minutes would have been great as well. Didn't happen. Look, I didn't love how they decided to play it but you have to make a call based on a ton of factors and they tried to make a bold move and get Thomas on the switch. UConn spotted it and made an adjustment. It happens...
March 15, 201511 yr Yes they have. 23-3 in postseason play since 2011 given who they have played is just absurd. The Kemba, Bazz, Boatright run at PG doesn't get nearly the love it deserves...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.