Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Underclass Big Men

Featured Replies

Who are some of the best big men in the class of 2017 and 2018? I haven't heard a lot about any true big men coming up in Kentucky.

Who are some of the best big men in the class of 2017 and 2018? I haven't heard a lot about any true big men coming up in Kentucky.

 

True post players? Power forwards?

Oumar keita from cordia he is a freshman averaging 11 points and 11 rebounds a game. He has tremendous work ethic and plays really hard.

....

 

I would say Jake Walter in the class of 2018 is one to keep an eye on....size-wise alone, as he matures into his body, he is going to be really tough to handle.

6'8 Bayley Rice of North Laurel is probably the best true "big" for 2018.

Ben Swolsky from St. Pat, should be about 6'5-6 by the time he's done growing, recorded a few double-doubles as a freshmen this year. I know Mason County's got a big ol boy coming up too.

  • Author

I've known of Rice and Keita for a while and they seem to have a bright future a head of them. Where does Walter go to school and how big is he, Mentsch?

I've known of Rice and Keita for a while and they seem to have a bright future a head of them. Where does Walter go to school and how big is he, Mentsch?

 

Walter is a frosh at Covington Catholic. I'd say he's 6'8 or so. Developing his body. Moves better than I expected. Will get better with weightroom and conditioning.

 

The other CCH big we did not get to see this year is soph Ziegelmeyer. Really good football player. TE/OT. About 6'6 and growing. Really strong and physical. I was told he played well in the summer. Had injuries in football early and then had another injury that required surgery before the basketball season started.

I agree Rice would be my choice of bigs. Think he's ranked in the top 30 best big men in ky including all classes 2015-2018. Think he would have been in top 10 if he had got his hands on the ball more at north laurel. It's not good to see a great player like him with an high ceiling not be used.

Hoptown has a 6'10" kid from Africa. Enrolled in Feb 2014 so didn't get to play this year. He is raw, but athletic. Akeem Atiola.

Oumar Keita - Cordia

 

Ross Jenkins - Lafayette

DeAndre Dishman - Bryan Station

Tre King - LCA (potential)

Who are some of the best big men in the class of 2017 and 2018? I haven't heard a lot about any true big men coming up in Kentucky.

 

Zan Payne - Lexington Catholic 2018

Michael Moreno - Scott Co. 2019

Tre King - LCA 2017

 

Will be three really good ones before they are done. Payne has huge upside. Might be really really really good. Moreno as well. All 3 really solid.

....

 

I would say Jake Walter in the class of 2018 is one to keep an eye on....size-wise alone, as he matures into his body, he is going to be really tough to handle.

 

I just heard he is 6'9 now.

In addition to the guys in the 11th I named above, I really like Dontell Brown of Dunbar's game. Not really saying he's going to top out at a huge level or anything, but I do think that there's a place for him at the next level at the right school.

 

 

11th:

 

Ross Jenkins - Lafayette (#1 overall at the moment)

Zan Payne - Lexington Catholic (long term potential)

Tre King - Lex. Christian (needs to develop, but could blow up)

Peter Whitman - Lexington Catholic (height)

DeAndre Dishman - Bryan Station (athleticism)

Dontell Brown - Dunbar (toughness)

 

That's what I'd say about each right now if I had to rate them and say what separates each from the pack right now.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.