Finally pulled the trigger on my first modern deer rifle.

Oldtimebaseball84

Price was a main factor.......didn't want to go over the amount I brought back from Vegas.....

Have been looking for some time now. Decision between .270 and 30-06......

Finally decided on a used set up that I found at Glaubers....

Smith and Wesson Ibolt, 30-06.

Composite stock.

Came with a Simmons 6.5-20x50 scope.....also in very good shape.

Price was where I wanted it and they came down to me a little.....let's just say under $350.

Had a price on a new Remington 783 with a 3-9x20 scope that would have been $45 more, but I feel I got a lot more scope for the cash and more gun.....was the display model at The Walmart.

Anyone have these......thoughts, advice for the new owner?

They did.....this one does have the punch notification on the bolt showing it was taken care of already.

Took me 25 shots to dial it in today at 100 yards.......

I had it bore sighted, but I think it was done incorrectly........AND I made an incorrect assumption that the first ones were low........

After I figured out it was actually high...way high.....I was able to dial it in within 10 shots. Last 3 were inside a quarter in the bullseye at 100 yards....

Very happy.

Actually. Dicks has federal 30-06 , 150 grain on clearance for 17.97 for 20 cartridges..... Bought two...

Mountain ref.....what kind of .270. Almost bought a walther .270 but didn't have a scope and they weren't willing to move on the price...

Keep in mind, if you are going to be taking any long distance shots you need to stick with the same ammo you used to sight it in. Ammo is actually something I don't mind spending some extra money on. Go cheap to get it sighted in then buy spend the money on the good stuff to fine tune it.

• 2 weeks later...

OK...Chapter two.....

Had to send it back to Smith and Wesson for a recall from 2008. Just heard back that it couldn't be repaired.

HOWEVER......The gave me a choice of any of the Thompson Center Venture bolts for now charge.........

However, I was able to talk them into a TC Dimension (left handed 30-06) for no charge instead. Still have the 6.5-20X50 Simmons Whitetail scope......

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/bolt-action-rifles/dimension/complete-rifles

I'm in it for $320 total including the scope.......and the Dimension is on the web at $689....with no scope....I still have my scope.

I am very happy.

OK...Chapter two.....

Had to send it back to Smith and Wesson for a recall from 2008. Just heard back that it couldn't be repaired.

HOWEVER......The gave me a choice of any of the Thompson Center Venture bolts for now charge.........

However, I was able to talk them into a TC Dimension (left handed 30-06) for no charge instead. Still have the 6.5-20X50 Simmons Whitetail scope......

T/C Dimension® - Thompson/Center

I'm in it for $320 total including the scope.......and the Dimension is on the web at $689....with no scope....I still have my scope.

I am very happy.

I know spindoc is a big fan of his TC gun(s?). You might give him a nudge if you have any questions about suiting it out.

OK...Chapter two.....

T/C Dimension® - Thompson/Center

I am very happy.

Dude you hit the lotto. That's a sweet rifle. I only heard poor things about your other purchase and refrained from comment on it for that reason. The best part is that rifle has an adjustable trigger. just takes a screwdriver. I like the action also. My brother in law has one in 30.06 and loves it. I was impressed with the action to be honest. Smoother than I expected. It's not a Sako, but it's really a solid rifle. You did good!!

I know spindoc is a big fan of his TC gun(s?).

Told ya...

Dude you hit the lotto. That's a sweet rifle. I only heard poor things about your other purchase and refrained from comment on it for that reason. The best part is that rifle has an adjustable trigger. just takes a screwdriver. I like the action also. My brother in law has one in 30.06 and loves it. I was impressed with the action to be honest. Smoother than I expected. It's not a Sako, but it's really a solid rifle. You did good!!