Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Are True Point Guards Valued Today?

Featured Replies

Points are easy to record and require no basketball knowledge or thinking.

 

I am always cynical when I see assists reported. Too often the person keeping stats does not know when to give an assist. Many do but too many do not.

 

In addition, a great pass is still a great pass if the person on the receiving end cannot finish the play. Passer gets no credit.

 

Just before Rondo was traded some television sports show displayed a stat that amounted to his assist opportunities per game -- in other words, passes that reached the hands of players with scoring opportunities regardless of outcome. For the life of me I can't remember the title of the category nor can I find any reference to it online, but even given the subjective nature of such numbers I wish there were a way to track them for young, developing point guards.

There aren't many true PGs anymore. More often in Ky basketball, your best scorer is your "PG" because you want the ball in their hands.

 

There are a lot of 5'10" kids in KY who are labeled a PG but really aren't a PG in the traditional sense.

Very well stated...

Why are assists not reported? A true point guard creates for others and makes those around him better. Too often it is all about how many points per game a player scores.

 

Agree!

Points are easy to record and require no basketball knowledge or thinking.

 

I am always cynical when I see assists reported. Too often the person keeping stats does not know when to give an assist. Many do but too many do not.

 

In addition, a great pass is still a great pass if the person on the receiving end cannot finish the play. Passer gets no credit.

 

Not sure if it's a fact or not but I was told that assists are not reported because there is too much subjectivity on whether to give an assist or not. For instance if a post player makes a move after receiving the ball in some instances it may not warrant an assist but will depend on the stat keeper on whether to award one or not.

 

Both great points. My father always told me that if the passer makes a pass and the person who receives the pass takes less than two dribbles and scores it is an assist. That's pretty much all he told me about them. Because he is my father and he is always right that is how I always figured out what was an assist or not. :lol2:

Washington from Henderson is a great PG, and the freshman Cager from Hoptown is very good as well.

IMO, Coaches love great PG but our system, as Clyde states above, isn't set up to recognize them. However, if you look at won/loss records of teams I'd be willing to bet that the better teams all have a better than average to great PG.

I've been wondering this for the past few years myself, Seems as too many people are more focused on a players PPG and the player who is creating opportunity for his team a lot of times goes without notice.

In a game today that only rewards kids with 1000 points banners in schools why would these kids want to be a true pg. it's a shame. I know there are a lot of high school stars that make their own shots but a lot of these scorers needed good or great point guards to get them the ball. I was a point guard and if I played today I'd really be upset if I had 8-10 assist a game and the only one recognized was the guy that scored 25pts and I fed it to him 10 times.

Timmy Taylor is the best point guard that I have seen this year. Without his play Lincoln would just be an average team IMO .

A point guard with exquisite passing ability is one of the true joys of basketball. Does anyone remember Ernie DiGregorio (sp)----from Providene College (I think)? Used to love watching him play.

If they'd report as hockey assists, that would be beautiful. Last 2 players to possess it before the score. Would slightly help move the "me" focus to "we" focus.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.