Braves Trade Gattis to Astros

The Braves will get two of the Astros’ top-10 prospects — right-hander Mike Foltynewicz and third baseman Rio Ruiz — in the package for Gattis, who was in Houston for a physical examination on Wednesday, as first reported by USA Today’s Bob Nightengale.

http://m.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball/braves-trade-gattis-to-astros-for-prospects/njnsz/

Johnson or Callaspo? Do they have any youngsters that they want to give an audition to?

IDK but I hope to God it's not Johnson. Keep him at 3rd...

If Callaspo plays LF who is going to play 2nd?

The Braves minor league rosters are beefing up, but their MLB roster is getting thin. Freeman has no decent hitters anywhere around him :lol2:.

FWIW though I actually think the Braves did pretty good in this trade.

Yeah. Sounds like a decent group of prospects and if they are looking towards 2017 Gattis likely wouldn't have been a big part of that. They will have the finances to turn it around quickly. It might result in a lean year or so but they weren't going to win a title with the roster that they had. This gives them a season to evaluate some of the young talent that they've acquired.

I thought the Reds would have been a good fit for Gattis, but that's because I assumed he would have been relatively cheap. It looks like the Braves received some pretty nice prospects, and I would've been upset if the Reds gave up 2 of their top 10 prospects for Gattis.

This makes the Marlon Byrd trade look better, to me. I'd rather have Gattis, but the Reds cannot afford to give up that many prospects for him.

Nori Akoi is receiving quite a bit of interest from the Braves for LF.

I like this trade a lot for the Braves. Young prospects, but they are quite good prospects.

I hate the idea of this fire sale type offseason, especially after signing Freeman and Simmons to longer deals but the Braves may surprise and compete.