Justice will be served today for Deputy Kyle Dinkheller

halfback20

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dinkheller's father, Kirk Dinkheller, posted on his Facebook page this month that "January 12, 2015 it will be 17 years since my son Kyle was murdered in the line of duty and on January 13, 2015 his killer will finally be held accountable. Nothing will ever bring my son back, but finally some justice for the one who took him from his children and his family."

Incredibly tragic.

Still...Andrew Howard Brannan, the man being executed tonight is - and was at the time of Officer Dinkheller's murder - diagnosed with bipolar disorder and was off of his medication at the time of the murder, in addition to being diagnosed and suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder as a result of being a combat decorated Vietnam veteran. The video clearly shows that Andrew Brannan wasn't all there in the video. Who gets pulled over for speeding and then proceeds to dance around like that and yells at the police officer to shoot them without having some kind of major mental malfunction?

I can understand and justify anyone saying that we should lock Brannan up and throw away the key (after all, the cost to do so is less than the cost of appeals and execution)...but I just don't see how his execution is justified.

Incredibly tragic.

Still...Andrew Howard Brannan, the man being executed tonight is - and was at the time of Officer Dinkheller's murder - diagnosed with bipolar disorder and was off of his medication at the time of the murder, in addition to being diagnosed and suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder as a result of being a combat decorated Vietnam veteran. The video clearly shows that Andrew Brannan wasn't all there in the video. Who gets pulled over for speeding and then proceeds to dance around like that and yells at the police officer to shoot them without having some kind of major mental malfunction?

I can understand and justify anyone saying that we should lock Brannan up and throw away the key (after all, the cost to do so is less than the cost of appeals and execution)...but I just don't see how his execution is justified.

This is my thought as well. :thumb:

This is why I would make a lousy cop. After the first time telling him to put the gun down, I'd have just shot him. Might even have done it while he was dancing around in the road.

Prayers to this officer's family.

I don't think that would make you a lousy cop. He displayed his intentions at that point imo. (When he grabs the gun)

I have sympathy for those with PTSD. I truly do. And I'd argue right here and now that I understand the chemical imbalance thought to occur and the regulation of the uptake systems as well as they can currently be understood and as well or better than anyone on this board. However, that doesn't preclude one from having the ability to understand right and wrong. This clearly wasn't a psychotic event where he thought he was back in the middle of the rice patties. He made a conscious decision whether medicated or not. While I'm empathetic to his situation, I find that as no excuse for what was in that video. None.