9th Region Updated Top 10 Players

Same kid...he had Hill and Chames ahead of him last year so he played a lot of JV and came off the bench at the varsity level. Really started to give glimpses of what he could do during the district and region tournament.

I could be mistaken, but wasn't it Avery who last season was most recognized for coming off the bench once in awhile to knock down a 3 here and there? Considering his duties now that seems like a distant memory, but I could swear that's what I remember about his contribution last season. Perhaps I have him confused with someone else, but I really don't believe that I do.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost all of the shots in this video were dunks or lay ups.

Is this the kid that played JV last year? Holmes had a kid, #10 on JV (I think) that impressed me against CCH. I believe he was a junior and was actually on of the first kids off the bench in varsity game.

delete

As for Avery vs Stockwell, I've seen both play a lot of games... and JR is the better POST player and its not even close if we're talking about a true post player.

Avery has super good, raw, athletic ability, but Stockwell puts his back to the basket like Clyde said and goes to work (ala, a poor man's Danny Fortson). Avery gets up and down the floor like a gazelle and jumps out of the gym (2 things Stockwell isn't going to do).

I could be mistaken, but wasn't it Avery who last season was most recognized for coming off the bench once in awhile to knock down a 3 here and there? Considering his duties now that seems like a distant memory, but I could swear that's what I remember about his contribution last season. Perhaps I have him confused with someone else, but I really don't believe that I do.

You're thinking of Glover.

You're thinking of Glover.

Not doubting you as if anyone knows the Dawgs it's you, but I still seem to remember Avery connecting on a fair amount of 3's last season. His release was slow and not one of a pure shooter, but still accurate enough to make an impact.

Is there any way without digging too deep to check on his stats for last season?

I sorta remember thinking too that for his length it was a bit unusual for his primary duty to be standing outside waiting to pop a 3. With that said, it seemed like he had the wide open looks which warranted the attempts and were necessary when he did so.

Of course a couple of years beforehand (on an unnecessary side note) you also had the likes of Elijah Pittman with his length jacking up his share of 3's, and although he was touted as amazing, I never thought that his release was that remarkable or his IQ that high when often his attempts were ill-advised at certain parts of the game where they weren't at all needed.

As for Avery vs Stockwell, I've seen both play a lot of games... and JR is the better POST player and its not even close if we're talking about a true post player.

Avery has super good, raw, athletic ability, but Stockwell puts his back to the basket like Clyde said and goes to work (ala, a poor man's Danny Fortson). Avery gets up and down the floor like a gazelle and jumps out of the gym (2 things Stockwell isn't going to do).

Many seem to think Avery is just an athlete because he scores around the rim in a different way than Stockwell. We will see when the two go head to head but I'd take Avery all day and I'd be willing to bet most coaches in NKY would as well. And that's not a knock on Junior. He's a great kid and I really like his dad. Good dude.

Avery is the more skilled of the two though. If Holmes has a big like Chames or Hill along side him this year, he would be able to showcase his true skillset, which is as a face up 4. He can hit the mid range jumper with consistency and take his man off the dribble if given the chance. I watched him do it at the JV level consistently last year when he had a little more freedom because of Brandon Moore playing as a true post player next to him.

Not doubting you as if anyone knows the Dawgs it's you, but I still seem to remember Avery connecting on a fair amount of 3's last season. His release was slow and not one of a pure shooter, but still accurate enough to make an impact.

Is there any way without digging too deep to check on his stats for last season?

I sorta remember thinking too that for his length it was a bit unusual for his primary duty to be standing outside waiting to pop a 3. With that said, it seemed like he had the wide open looks which warranted the attempts and were necessary when he did so.

Of course a couple of years beforehand (on an unnecessary side note) you also had the likes of Elijah Pittman with his length jacking up his share of 3's, and although he was touted as amazing, I never thought that his release was that remarkable or his IQ that high when often his attempts were ill-advised at certain parts of the game where they weren't at all needed.

You're thinking of Glover... :lol2:

He was long and athletic at 6'2 but all he did was shoot from outside. That was it.

Agree that EP drifted outside way more than he should have. He could have dominated inside with his size, length, athleticism, and strength.

1. Let's remember I had him top 10 before bumping him so I'm not saying he can't play.

2. I said that he has to be set up to score. Penetration drawing a defender or a lob. Your tape shows that's 90% of his scoring.

3. I said Junior and Drew can do things from the post with their back to the basket. I haven't seen them from Rod.

4. His main skill is defense IMO. He changes shots. That's what makes him so valuable. His offensive game is raw.

5. Junior can a)get position where he wants to (Avery isn't strong enough) b)catch it with his back to the basket and c)put a move together to score. IMO that's where Rod struggles.

6. Numbers. Numbers do lie if your game is getting the ball dished to you when your man has to help. Rod is a great athlete and fits PERFECTLY with this Holmes team. Reminds me of Lexi when Duran used to kill guards with penetration and Lexi would come in for the dish and score.

7. Numbers. He averages two more rebounds per game than 6'1 B Stanley. Bo has the same issue. Should be getting more boards.

Again, before anyone says I'm killing the kid. I'm not. I say he's in the convo for top 10. He can play. I'd take him on my team.

Honestly Jr doesn't care about being in the top 10 or stats,he's just focused on trying to help the team win games weather its scoring or doing the little things.Jr loves a challenge he will give you 110% and leave it all on the court knowing he did the best he could for the team.

I guess I'll go ahead and get it out of the way...

Is Brenden Stanley really playing like a top 10 player in the region?

I think Junior Stockwell has played at a much higher level and been a bigger factor to the success of Boone than B Stanley.

One could argue Markel McClendon or Colin Hathorn has been better than him as well.

Snapp takes a lot of criiticism on here, but put him on a team where he has more talent around him and he wouldn't have some of the rough shooting nights that he has had so far. He is getting doubled and face guarded virtually every game yet is still averaging 20 ppg and gets to the free throw line a lot (78 of 93 84%). He has struggled from the field at 37% FG and 33% 3FG but at some point, those shots are going to start falling.

If I were ranking the region, I would go with:

1. James Bolden

2. Drew McDonald

3. Ben Weyer

4. Cole Vonhandorf

5. Sean McNeil

6. Zack Pangallo

7. Rod Avery

8. Bo Schuh

9. Mike Scott

10 Markel McClendon-Junior Stockwell-Liam Rabe- Colin Hathorn-Ethan Snapp....I'd have no problem with any of the 5

When did this guy get more eligibility?

mike_scott.jpg

Wasn't there, so couldn't tell ya.

Like you said though, it's not all about scoring. Avery's double double of 23 & 12 was a bigger factor in the coaches eyes than Bolden's 40. He's playing at a really high level right now and has improved since sitting the majority of the Ballard game. That seemed to be the spark he needed.

What Avery does on the boards and defensively is what makes him top 10, IMO.

If we are going to go off AAU ball, you of all people should know how good Snapp is and that he's top 10.

Snapp is definitely top 10 in scoring. Certainly higher even. Kid can absolutely kill it. I would like to see him play more D, and get more boards. I also think Snapp is a great leader, as a sophomore and junior, he has that whole team under his wing and is leading them to be the best they possibly can be.