Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coaching Advice

Featured Replies

I need some help from the crowd out there...

 

I would like to get into coaching football. My work schedule now allows me the time to do this. I've been out of the game for a few years, but would like to come back and volunteer for someone. I would have to be reacquainted with the 'nuts and bolts' of the game, but feel I could pick this up quickly and easily. I've got a legnthy background in management and working with people. My goal is to eventually be an offensive line coach on a high school level.

 

My question is this, What would be the best way to enter this? Apprentice? Networking? Seminars, perhaps? I wouldn't have any problem working with a Freshman or JV squad for a few years to learn the workings.

 

I would be interested in any and all advice that you guys could provide!

Thanks,

Sting

I would go to the local High School coach and talk with him. They may allow you to come aboard.

I need some help from the crowd out there...

 

I would like to get into coaching football. My work schedule now allows me the time to do this. I've been out of the game for a few years, but would like to come back and volunteer for someone. I would have to be reacquainted with the 'nuts and bolts' of the game, but feel I could pick this up quickly and easily. I've got a legnthy background in management and working with people. My goal is to eventually be an offensive line coach on a high school level.

 

My question is this, What would be the best way to enter this? Apprentice? Networking? Seminars, perhaps? I wouldn't have any problem working with a Freshman or JV squad for a few years to learn the workings.

 

I would be interested in any and all advice that you guys could provide!

Thanks,

Sting

 

 

Where are you from?

  • Author
Where are you from?

 

The Northern Kentucky area.

go to clinics

order videos

talk to coaches of all levels

read books

watch games

visit your schools in the area

watch the KHSAA open jobs board

etc

I would agree with talking with coaches in your area, especially if you know any of them very well. They may be able to use you and if not they probably could put you in contact with someone who could and what seminars, clinics,etc. that they would advise that you look at.

I would agree with talking with coaches in your area, especially if you know any of them very well. They may be able to use you and if not they probably could put you in contact with someone who could and what seminars, clinics,etc. that they would advise that you look at.

Thats what i would recommend. It's good to have "sources" so to speak.

I agree with all the suggestions above, but I would add one thing. If you really want to coach, coach. It shouldn't matter where or at what level. If you can't find a local high school program right now, coach middle school for a couple of years. The high school coaches will get to know you and, if you know your stuff, someone will offer you a spot.

One last thing, beware the time commitment. Even with a flexible schedule it can still be tough to find the time required by a high school program. Once you sign on, the team will be counting on you to be there.

 

Good luck!!!!!!!!:thumb:

Don't do it!!! Its crazy out there!!!!:lol:

go to clinics

order videos

talk to coaches of all levels

read books

watch games

visit your schools in the area

watch the KHSAA open jobs board

etc

Go visit sucessful high school coaches. You'll learn more from them than you will college coaches.Most college coaches only coach 1 position and don't know alot about the other positions.

In my experience most FB coaches LOVE to talk football. As long as you are genuine, ask appropriate questions, and respect their time most guys will encourage, explain, offer suggestions to others interested in the game. There are always exceptions for personality quirks, those who may feel suspicious of those around their program, or are under fire currently, etc.

 

As far as the comment about college coaches - you might be surprised.

In "most" every case that Ive contacted a college coach for info, etc. they have responded very nicely. I even wrote to Jerry Sandusky who was the defensive coordinator with Joe Pa for a zillion years and asked about an old book of his about coaching defense I couldnt find (out of print). Coach Sandusky had his copy of the book photo copied and mailed it to me with a personal note encouraging me. He just asked me to send any $ amount for it so that he would not violate NCAA rules. How cool is that?:cool:

 

So ask questions and seek people out. Its no different than what I tell folks when investigating new careers; talk to the people who do what you want to do - EVERYONE likes to talk about what they do (usually).

 

Cheers, Woody Jr

 

P.S. Also, when I started out coaching youth sports I did the same thing I would do in business - I try to surround myself with people that know more than me:thumb:

and be a thief ! I steal all the good ideas & suggestions I can. There really isn't anything "new" in the game, a study of the history of the game will help you understand that (passing - see Sid Gilman):ylsuper:

I can tell you from experience that you need to find a situation where the Head Coach places high value on teaching his assistants the " right way" to coach. Of course there is no set "right way", but you must find a situation were there is heavy emphasis placed on the process, where each coach has meaningful input, and where you can learn. There are situations that you may get into that you may win a lot of games, but will not be learning a much in terms of schemes, how to prepare a game plan effectively, coaching a particular side of the ball or position, or running a program (However, I will say that most teams that are winning games are not doing so by going through the motions.) You will be simply put into their way of doing things and not brought up to speed on the why's or the how's.

 

I also recommend doing anything you can do to be involved. Get in the weight room, attend any clinic you can, meet with coaches, be willing to paint/clean/etc., and while doing this ASK what you don't know or might be unsure about.

 

In terms of finding a position most HS coaches utlize the KHSAA's site or the coaches listserv to advertise jobs. I don't know that there is a coach out there that wouldn't meet with you if you were to inquire. Once you meet with a few coaches, trust me, it will be clear what situation will be the best in terms of learning and growing.

 

Coaching football is a lifestyle. Find a role model who does things right, can have fun while doing it, is ultimately concerned first with doing things the right way for the kids, and has his prorities in place.

 

Best of luck!!

I can tell you from experience that you need to find a situation where the Head Coach places high value on teaching his assistants the " right way" to coach. Of course there is no set "right way", but you must find a situation were there is heavy emphasis placed on the process, where each coach has meaningful input, and where you can learn. There are situations that you may get into that you may win a lot of games, but will not be learning a much in terms of schemes, how to prepare a game plan effectively, coaching a particular side of the ball or position, or running a program (However, I will say that most teams that are winning games are not doing so by going through the motions.) You will be simply put into their way of doing things and not brought up to speed on the why's or the how's.

 

I also recommend doing anything you can do to be involved. Get in the weight room, attend any clinic you can, meet with coaches, be willing to paint/clean/etc., and while doing this ASK what you don't know or might be unsure about.

 

In terms of finding a position most HS coaches utlize the KHSAA's site or the coaches listserv to advertise jobs. I don't know that there is a coach out there that wouldn't meet with you if you were to inquire. Once you meet with a few coaches, trust me, it will be clear what situation will be the best in terms of learning and growing.

 

Coaching football is a lifestyle. Find a role model who does things right, can have fun while doing it, is ultimately concerned first with doing things the right way for the kids, and has his prorities in place.

 

Best of luck!!

 

I was going to post something on this thread, but after I read this, there's no need. Charlie's hit every nail just about directly on the head.

I was going to post something on this thread, but after I read this, there's no need. Charlie's hit every nail just about directly on the head.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.