Central/Corbin Last Plays

ftbll4life

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The KHSAA has released a statement about the penalty call...

12/09/14 ? KHSAA Issues Clarification on Penalty Near End of Corbin/Central Playoff Contest | Kentucky High School Athletic Association

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: December 9, 2014

Following the conclusion of the Corbin vs. Central playoff contest on November 21, the KHSAA has received several inquiries regarding a penalty assessed near the end of the game. On the last timed down, a long pass was completed by Central and a face mask foul was called at the end of the play. The play, which was widely scene on ESPN SportsCenter and in other media outlets, showed a Central player losing possession of the football, with the ball striking his foot before being caught by another Central player who was subsequently tackled near the sideline as time expired. On the tackle, the game officials called a foul for tackling by the face mask, and administered the penalty against Corbin and awarded Central one untimed down.

“As the video shows, the catch and run were legal and at the end of the play, the Corbin player tackled the Central runner with one hand grasping the helmet edge,” stated KHSAA Commissioner Julian Tackett, a longtime member of the NFHS football rules committee. “By NFHS rules, it is a face mask foul to ‘Grasp an opponent’s face mask, any edge of a helmet opening, chin strap, or a tooth and mouth protector attached to the face mask’. Though the mask on the front of the helmet was not involved in the tackle, the edge of the helmet is included in the rule for the protection of the players.

“It is apparent on review of this play that the official correctly ruled that the tackle was grasping of the face mask by the definitions in the rule book, since the player grasped the edge of the helmet. I feel certain in watching the play that there was no intent to injure and the player was simply doing whatever necessary to tackle the opponent. However, the foul was correctly called and administered, allowing Central one untimed down, ” Tackett concluded.

I wonder why the video has been changed.

In the original version, there were 4 views. Now there is only 3 views in the clip. The view from behind the offense, which really showed the facemask penalty, is now missing.

Why?

I don't think there is any doubt about the facemask from the first angle shown in the video, the poor receivers head was about ripped off.

I don't think there is any doubt about the facemask from the first angle shown in the video, the poor receivers head was about ripped off.

Have to tend to agree with you on this one. Without reading this thread I originally wondered why the Facemask call (Which was called Immediately) and not a late phantom flag, shouldn't have awarded a 15 yard penalty instead of a 5 yard penalty. That was vicious! I would of argued that one! It was pretty obvious in the 1st clip by the demeanor of the WR being whipped around. Cant see on whether the ball was close to the ground on the last play but I do know the Ginormous O-lineman for Central almost cost them the game by looking back at his QB. Great throw and catch by Central. Corbin did what they needed to do on the long hail mary pass. No one gets behind the Safety. It's a funny game and that's why you play it!

Have to tend to agree with you on this one. Without reading this thread I originally wondered why the Facemask call (Which was called Immediately) and not a late phantom flag, shouldn't have awarded a 15 yard penalty instead of a 5 yard penalty. That was vicious! I would of argued that one! It was pretty obvious in the 1st clip by the demeanor of the WR being whipped around. Cant see on whether the ball was close to the ground on the last play but I do know the Ginormous O-lineman for Central almost cost them the game by looking back at his QB. Great throw and catch by Central. Corbin did what they needed to do on the long hail mary pass. No one gets behind the Safety. It's a funny game and that's why you play it!

They awarded a half the distance to the goal penalty, infraction happened around the 17 yd line.

The ball did not come close to touching the ground. The receiver may a couple of really heady plays, first he slowed down and pivoted in front of the DB, who was kind of camped under the ball waiting on it, then kind of jumped and effectively blocked out the DB, then when the ball was falling to the ground, he kicked it as he was falling and it went straight to the only Central player and hit him in stride with 6 Corbin defenders within 5 yards or so.

Sometimes that's the way the ball bounces, but it should have never come down to that. Corbin took their foot off the gas and tried to milk the clock and the clock didn't run out quick enough.