Ashland Attempting to Schedule Morgan Co. for '06-'07 Season

Just thought I would let all you guys who gripe about Ashland not scheduling Morgan that we have contacted them about playing this upcoming season, and have a tenative date in mind. I believe we have also scheduled Raceland, and will also be playing in Johnson Central's holiday tourney...

Just thought I would let all you guys who gripe about Ashland not scheduling Morgan that we have contacted them about playing this upcoming season, and have a tenative date in mind. I believe we have also scheduled Raceland, and will also be playing in Johnson Central's holiday tourney...

I heard Ashland's schedule was already full and set?

I guess the answer to that question depends on which team is trying to schedule them:rolleyes:

If it can be worked out, I'm sure they will play.

Also, Rose Hill is interested in getting Morgan Co. back on the schedule as well.

However, it should be noted, Morgan has really had a hard time finding teams to travel to West Liberty for Cougar home games. Cougars had 8 regular season home games this year and actually Morgan Co. was (2) games under the total limit of scheduling. Cougar administrators want GATE as well as the next guy...for example, Morgan County could have made a lot of money with an additional HOME game or even two, as Morgan County averaged 1,000+ in attendance for the entire season.

I believe the last time Ashland and Morgan County had home and home contracts was in the 1992 and 1993 season's....as I mentioned before they were barn burners. In 1992, Ashland (undefeated in regional play) needed a last second jumper by Jason Strader to escape Morgan Co. 50-48, coached by Jeff Hall. In the next season, AT ASHLAND, Ryan Robinson hit a game winning shot to defeat the Cougars. That was the last time I believe both school's had 2 year contractual games.

And I think in 1990 Morgan/Ashland played at Morgan which saw a hard fought game with Juan Thomas and Morgan's Matthew Perry...they played at Ashland in 1991...

Bottom line, when these teams have played, it's usually been tight...I know one of Morgan's biggest wins was the 1986 regional semi-final victory over Ashland in which the Cougars ran them right out of the gym. Another regional thriller in 1993 in which the Tomcats won by 5, and then the ultimate game:thumb: in 2004 regional championship when the Cougars won 54-42 on Ralph Hamilton's bombs away heroics.

Some good history between the two schools.

Guys i dont see why there is so much bashing every year about Ashland not scheduling Rose Hill or Morgan County. They play much tougher teams year in and year out and you cant schedule every team in your region.
I can't speak for anyone else G, but I'm not bashing at all. I love Drew and Daniel McDavid, Matt Thomas, Tyler Reliford, Brandon WIlliams, and heck, all the kids in your program... from grade 12 down to preschool. They're terrific young men, gifted athletes, tremendous competitors and credits to their families and to our community.

I've coached many of them at some time or another, and cheered on many more. I know them well enough to know, they just want to play ball. Anytime, anyplace.

I also know Coach Flynn and his staff, and if they're half the men I think they are, they just want to play too. It's all about getting ready for Districts, Regionals and Rupp. You don't do that by playing patsies. Your schedule this season proves that somebody understands this.

I happen to know some other kids and coaches at another school just a mile or so away that are the same way. If indeed Ashland does play much tougher teams year in and year out as you state above, it seems pretty silly to me that we can't arrange it for these kids right at home.

I can assure you they'd be hard fought but cleanly played contests that would cause every player on both teams to dig deep and find the best they have to give. IMO, that's what this should be all about... at least that's what it used to be about when guys like Larry Conley played the game.

With certain folks trying in vain to breathe life into old rivalries that gave up the ghost 20 years ago, it seems to me they'd welcome a new one ready to go, guaranteed to pack gymnasiums and sell radio air time and newspapers.

I really was just trying to be helpful. :D

Guys i dont see why there is so much bashing every year about Ashland not scheduling Rose Hill or Morgan County. They play much tougher teams year in and year out and you cant schedule every team in your region.

"Every team in your region"???

How about at least scheduling every team in a four team district?:rolleyes: