Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Conner Freshman players looking for way out.

Featured Replies

Anyone that thinks that the education at Conner is good is kidding themselves. They may have curriculum that is considered Ap but the system is terrible and flawed. Fortunately in northern kentucky kids have the opportunity to attend bw or HHS where they could go for either reason sports or academics and still be in better shape.

  • Replies 85
  • Views 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As is Conner. What can a kid get at Beechwood they can't get at Conner?

 

It doesnt hurt that BW is generally known to be a very good academic school system.

It doesnt hurt that BW is generally known to be a very good academic school system.

 

Not only known, it is proven. Beechwood consistently ranks in the top 5 schools in the state and in the top 500 in the entire nation.

As is Conner. What can a kid get at Beechwood they can't get at Conner?

I understand you don't want to hear the facts, but Unfortunatly that is all I deal in. Do me a favor and look up the national rankings. If you like just look up the state rankings. Beechwood has been nationally recognized and I Al's believe last year alone they were the only HS in NKY recognized and 1 of only 2 schools in the entire state to win national award for the same.

 

I live in Boone co and am proud of the school system here, but don't try and compare Beechwood to Conner, it just doesn't hold up. I'm not putting down Conner at all, but to be stubborn and refuse to give credit where credit is due like you are doing is just wrong.

 

Here is just one site you can visit yourself

http://www.schooldigger.com/go/KY/schoolrank.aspx?level=3

 

Beechwood is ranked 4th on this list alone for ky schools while Conner is 25th. These are just based off of test scores.

 

There was an interesting top 10 list a couple years ago in Cincinnati Magazine. It was the best of the best issue and they had the best of the best schools and Beechwood also made that list and was near the top. The one thing that stuck out in the article was the teachers. They listed all the top schools and the degrees the teachers had at each of the schools. Beechwood was the only school in the entire issue that just about all the teachers there had Phd's. Most of the other schools the teachers didn't come close to the education level the Beechwood teachers had on avg. that always stuck out with me.

 

Now you can keep telling yourself Conner has the same education level as Beechwood, and there are some great teachers and students at Coner, but I'd take Beechwoods education over Conner or any other BC school everytime.

Here are national rankings

 

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/kentucky

 

Do me a favor and do a search for Conner(who isn't ranked) and look at their English and Algebra%'s compared to the nations %'s

then look at Beechwoods.

Edited by Hellbird

As is Conner. What can a kid get at Beechwood they can't get at Conner?

 

Rings

Colton is a solid player. The freshman class has some good kids coming up. Colton Catlett, Mason Smith, Noah Hammond, Hunter Michael just to name a few. Should be fun to watch over the next couple years.

 

Lots of people saying this, but would you put Colton as a top 10 freshman in NKY?

They listed all the top schools and the degrees the teachers had at each of the schools. Beechwood was the only school in the entire issue that just about all the teachers there had Phd's. Most of the other schools the teachers didn't come close to the education level the Beechwood teachers had on avg. that always stuck out with me.

 

I'm sure to anger some educators, but PHd in Education is not the same as a subject matter PHd. It is, however, a way to earn more money.

 

So these players are leaving for better academics, not football?

 

Of note, larger schools tend to have more to offer due to a larger student population. Their enrollment at large is not as statistically smart on average, but they have some very smart kids with more academic options.

I understand you don't want to hear the facts, but Unfortunatly that is all I deal in. Do me a favor and look up the national rankings. If you like just look up the state rankings. Beechwood has been nationally recognized and I Al's believe last year alone they were the only HS in NKY recognized and 1 of only 2 schools in the entire state to win national award for the same.

 

I live in Boone co and am proud of the school system here, but don't try and compare Beechwood to Conner, it just doesn't hold up. I'm not putting down Conner at all, but to be stubborn and refuse to give credit where credit is due like you are doing is just wrong.

 

Here is just one site you can visit yourself

Best High Schools in Kentucky - KY School Rankings

 

Beechwood is ranked 4th on this list alone for ky schools while Conner is 25th. These are just based off of test scores.

 

There was an interesting top 10 list a couple years ago in Cincinnati Magazine. It was the best of the best issue and they had the best of the best schools and Beechwood also made that list and was near the top. The one thing that stuck out in the article was the teachers. They listed all the top schools and the degrees the teachers had at each of the schools. Beechwood was the only school in the entire issue that just about all the teachers there had Phd's. Most of the other schools the teachers didn't come close to the education level the Beechwood teachers had on avg. that always stuck out with me.

 

Now you can keep telling yourself Conner has the same education level as Beechwood, and there are some great teachers and students at Coner, but I'd take Beechwoods education over Conner or any other BC school everytime.

Here are national rankings

 

Top Kentucky High Schools | Best High Schools | US News - US News

 

Do me a favor and do a search for Conner(who isn't ranked) and look at their English and Algebra%'s compared to the nations %'s

then look at Beechwoods.

 

OK, I can talk facts too. Conner had 120 out of 286 kids that took the ACT in a gap group, or on an IEP. Beechwood had 17 out of 90. I'd bet if you looked at the top 90 scores at Conner, they'd be very favorable to Beechwood. But you keep relying on Cincy Magazine to tell you who's good. Again, you can get 62 hours of college credit at Conner before you graduate. How many can you get at Beechwood? Across the board, Beechwood's scores are better, but it's a much smaller sample of the population. But if your student wants access to more opportunity to obtain college credit while in HS, Conner offers more. It's because more teachers, more students = more classes Conner can offer. There is nothing at Beechwood that is offered academically that's not offered at Conner. Students are going to get as much out of a HS education as they put into it. It's not about the building, it's about what's offered, and how hard kids are willing to stack up their schedule. Both are fine schools.

OK, I can talk facts too. Conner had 120 out of 286 kids that took the ACT in a gap group, or on an IEP. Beechwood had 17 out of 90. I'd bet if you looked at the top 90 scores at Conner, they'd be very favorable to Beechwood. But you keep relying on Cincy Magazine to tell you who's good. Again, you can get 62 hours of college credit at Conner before you graduate. How many can you get at Beechwood? Across the board, Beechwood's scores are better, but it's a much smaller sample of the population. But if your student wants access to more opportunity to obtain college credit while in HS, Conner offers more. It's because more teachers, more students = more classes Conner can offer. There is nothing at Beechwood that is offered academically that's not offered at Conner. Students are going to get as much out of a HS education as they put into it. It's not about the building, it's about what's offered, and how hard kids are willing to stack up their schedule. Both are fine schools.

 

I'm not depending on Cincy mag for anything. I used actual reports from those who specialize in ranking schools. Did you bother looking at any of the links I provided? I doubt it.

 

I'd rather my kids go to Cooper than Conner. If I had a choice of any it would be Beechwood and Highlands and then take a pick from there.

 

I also never once said you can't get a good education at Conner just as I never said you couldn't get a good education from Holmes. Just because Beechwood is nationally recognized doesn't mean you can't get a good education at any other school. I was simy answering the statement that infered that Conner was as good as Beechwood academically and that just isn't the case. Simple as that.

I'm sure to anger some educators, but PHd in Education is not the same as a subject matter PHd. It is, however, a way to earn more money.

 

So these players are leaving for better academics, not football?

 

Of note, larger schools tend to have more to offer due to a larger student population. Their enrollment at large is not as statistically smart on average, but they have some very smart kids with more academic options.

 

 

It's a myth anyway. I just looked up the school report cards. Here are the facts:

 

Teachers at Beechwood:

% with Bachelor's: 16

% with Master's: 48

% with Rank I: 20

 

Teachers at Conner:

% with Bachelor's: 14.6

% with Master's: 50.6

% with Rank I: 20.2

 

Neither school has a teacher with a doctorate according to the 2013-2014 school report card.

I shouldn't be surprise that on a sports forum, that rankings and winning matter so much.

 

On a whole, entire student population, Beechwood wins. But, the education for the high achieving student may not be better.

 

Let's cut to the chase, is it the "bad element" some of 'dem county schools have?

 

And once again, are the players leaving due to football, academics, or 'dem county school boys?

I was simy answering the statement that infered that Conner was as good as Beechwood academically and that just isn't the case. Simple as that.

 

No it's not as simple as a ranking in a publication, or Hellbird's opinion. You wanted to talk facts. I'm measuring by what college bound students want to take (I'm assuming all of these students that are transferring to Beechwood for academic reasons would be college bound), and what's offered. You still haven't answered the question of how many college hours can a kid graduate from Beechwood with by taking AP classes, etc.? I looked up all of the classes offered at Conner, a schedule a student can potentially take, and the college hours UK would give for scores on exams. I'm talking in facts.

I shouldn't be surprise that on a sports forum, that rankings and winning matter so much.

 

On a whole, entire student population, Beechwood wins. But, the education for the high achieving student may not be better.

 

Let's cut to the chase, is it the "bad element" some of 'dem county schools have?

 

And once again, are the players leaving due to football, academics, or 'dem county school boys?

 

Bingo. Somebody else who likes facts.

  • Author

However all the info I get leads me to believe it is about sports and just to throw this out there, what if a parent works for or is getting a job in the school system, doesn't that trump, the whole need for a real estate agent?

However all the info I get leads me to believe it is about sports and just to throw this out there, what if a parent works for or is getting a job in the school system, doesn't that trump, the whole need for a real estate agent?

 

That depends on the school system. Typically, if you work for a school system (job capacity varies on the system's policy), and the school isn't over enrollment cap, you can send your son/daughter to the school of choice.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.