Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

KHSAA board approves public-private measures

Featured Replies

What is John Hardin's enrollment now?

 

1322 per KHSAA, including 663 boys.

 

Central Hardin 1618, 824 boys

Elizabethtown 716, 369

North Hardin 1411, 722

 

So don't these enrollments indicate that Central Hardin should be the better football team in Hardin County? Like I say, success breeds success and the newness of John Hardin must have had a huge impact on where the better athletes chose to attend school.

  • Replies 241
  • Views 23.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is John Hardin's enrollment now?

 

1322 per KHSAA, including 663 boys.

 

Central Hardin 1618, 824 boys

Elizabethtown 716, 369

North Hardin 1411, 722

 

So don't these enrollments indicate that Central Hardin should be the better football team in Hardin County? Like I say, success breeds success and the newness of John Hardin must have had a huge impact on where the better athletes chose to attend school.

 

In the public school systems throughout Kentucky, students are supposed to attend the school in which district they live, unless various exemptions apply to them, i.e. parents' employment in other schools, exchange agreements between systems, etc. When John Hardin was built, I understand that about the same number of students were taken from both Central and North Hardin's districts. Unfortunately, for these schools, there were many good athletes in the mix. So, if anyone would have "chosen" John Hardin when it was built, I think it would have been for their state-of-the-art performing arts center and not for the athletic programs.

1322 per KHSAA, including 663 boys.

 

Central Hardin 1618, 824 boys

Elizabethtown 716, 369

North Hardin 1411, 722

 

So don't these enrollments indicate that Central Hardin should be the better football team in Hardin County? Like I say, success breeds success and the newness of John Hardin must have had a huge impact on where the better athletes chose to attend school.

 

In the public school systems throughout Kentucky, students are supposed to attend the school in which district they live, unless various exemptions apply to them, i.e. parents' employment in other schools, exchange agreements between systems, etc. When John Hardin was built, I understand that about the same number of students were taken from both Central and North Hardin's districts. Unfortunately, for these schools, there were many good athletes in the mix. So, if anyone would have "chosen" John Hardin when it was built, I think it would have been for their state-of-the-art performing arts center and not for the athletic programs.

 

Actually, a lot of school districts are open-enrollment, and the kids do have a choice. Does anyone know if Hardin County schools are open enrollment?

[/Quote=warrior]

 

In the public school systems throughout Kentucky, students are supposed to attend the school in which district they live, unless various exemptions apply to them, i.e. parents' employment in other schools, exchange agreements between systems, etc. When John Hardin was built, I understand that about the same number of students were taken from both Central and North Hardin's districts. Unfortunately, for these schools, there were many good athletes in the mix. So, if anyone would have "chosen" John Hardin when it was built, I think it would have been for their state-of-the-art performing arts center and not for the athletic programs.

 

 

 

 

I believe when new schools are being built, they are built in areas that are fast growing areas of that community. As more and more subdivisions are popping up, that is where the new elementary, middle or high school goes. The area that growth is predicted.

 

I also believe that it is those parents, in these nicer subdivisions, that will spend the time, resources, and travel to have their children in the offseason programs that are needed to have successful athletic programs.

In the public school systems throughout Kentucky, students are supposed to attend the school in which district they live, unless various exemptions apply to them, i.e. parents' employment in other schools, exchange agreements between systems, etc. When John Hardin was built, I understand that about the same number of students were taken from both Central and North Hardin's districts. Unfortunately, for these schools, there were many good athletes in the mix. So, if anyone would have "chosen" John Hardin when it was built, I think it would have been for their state-of-the-art performing arts center and not for the athletic programs.

 

Actually, a lot of school districts are open-enrollment, and the kids do have a choice. Does anyone know if Hardin County schools are open enrollment?

No, that's why I made the original comments.

John Hardin is the new kid in Hardin County and look at their quick success. I suppose they simply built this school in the one location with the best football and basketball players in the county. Or maybe being a new school, they naturally attracted the more talented kids from other schools.
I was told at the Sweet 16 that John Hardin got about an equal number of kids from both North Hardin and Central Hardin, but that most of the better athletes came from North Hardin. That seems obvious, given the continuing fortunes of both schools.
Actually, a lot of school districts are open-enrollment, and the kids do have a choice. Does anyone know if Hardin County schools are open enrollment?

No, that's why I made the original comments.

 

 

 

Hardin County schools do not allow out of district students?

I bet they have recipricol agreements with every nearby district.

There is only one district in the state that I know of that does not

have open enrollment thats Boone County.This is why I feel the

public arguement about privates getting students from multiple

districts is absurd.I live in NKY and my kids can attend any

school in NKY,or the state public or private,except for 2 in Boone County.

And guess what if my kids choose a public school outside our

district my state money follows me.

No, that's why I made the original comments.

 

 

 

Hardin County schools do not allow out of district students?

I bet they have recipricol agreements with every nearby district.

There is only one district in the state that I know of that does not

have open enrollment thats Boone County.This is why I feel the

public arguement about privates getting students from multiple

districts is absurd.I live in NKY and my kids can attend any

school in NKY,or the state public or private,except for 2 in Boone County.

And guess what if my kids choose a public school outside our

district my state money follows me.

 

News-Enterprise: "Elizabethtown Independent System and Hardin County Schools agreed 10 years ago [1993] to allow only 250 students to attend schools in each other's district. The agreement specified that both districts would discourage guardianships for educational purposes that have to be approved by Hardin District Court. Under such guardianships, students are placed in guardianship with someone residing in the district they wish to attend." According to heated discussions and board meetings since then, Hardin County maintained that many more than 250 out-of-district students were attending EIS schools and the agreement was readdressed. As you can deduct, the parents and local communities became very involved and vocal with the issue. As I understand it, the agreement is strictly being enforced. So, I don't believe that students can choose any public school they want to attend in Hardin County-Elizabethtown.

  • Author

Athletics dispute takes another unexpected turn

 

The Kentucky High School Athletic Association (KHSAA) dispute over regulations and championships for public and nonpublic schools has taken another unexpected turn.

Last week the association’s Board of Control met to consider the language of two proposed regulations concerning eligibility and residential requirements for athletes in both public and nonpublic high schools. According to Leisa Speer, chairperson of the Kentucky Non-Public Schools Commission, that March 17 meeting was to result in the mailing of referendum ballots on the proposals to all 282 members of the KHSAA Delegate Assembly.

“The state board (of education) told the athletics association that they wanted to send those proposals out for a vote,” Speer said, “so that they would have those vote results for consideration during the board’s meeting on April 11 and 12.”

But that didn’t happen.

Speer said that at the March 17 meeting the Board of Control heard from four public school superintendents who “told them it wasn’t necessary to send this out for a vote, that instead they could send it on to the Board of Education.”

But that’s contrary to what a letter from state board of education chairman Keith Travis says, Speer noted.

“That letter says send this out for a referendum vote,” she said. “But the Board of Control, after hearing from the public school superintendents, voted 15-2 not do to the referendum, but to send it on to the Board of Education.”

The only two Board of Control votes against sending the proposals to the Board of Education without holding the referendum came from Stan Hardin of Holy Cross High School and Bob Schneider of Newport Catholic High School. They are the only two members of the Board of Control representing nonpublic high schools.

So now Speer and the Kentucky Non-Public Schools Commission are trying to determine exactly what’s going on and why.

 

From the KHSAA website and the weekly news release link. Last news release was 3/6.

 

PUBLIC/NON-PUBLIC UPDATE

 

The KHSAA Board of Control was presented an update on the Public/Non-Public Task Force Committee report with regard to proposals. KHSAA Commissioner Brigid DeVries will update the Kentucky Board of Education at its April meeting on the status of proposals. The Board went on record with a desire for the proposals to be presented to the member schools in the form of a referendum.

 

Said also there was a special meeting on appeals review for today in Bowling Green.

I have a couple questions/observations. Hopefully they are not a waste of time or out of line due to the fact that I'm basically waiting to see what the final decision is to spend time studying the details.

 

If a high schooler moves across the state how can a public school which legally must enroll the student (I hope thats still true:p ) then be forced to not allow that student to participate in a school sanctioned activity by an association (KHSAA) set up just for the schools?

 

If a brilliant academically inclined student decides to transfer to a different school in order to win a Governors Cup, or similar academic reason, are there any regulations concerning that type situation? And if not, why?

Perhaps I'm out of touch and didn't realize that sports are giving the youth of Kentucky a better future than academics :creepy:

 

P.S. I invested much time & energy in youth sports for many years as well as following and enjoying HS sports greatly :thumb:

 

Cheers, Woody Jr

I have a couple questions/observations. Hopefully they are not a waste of time or out of line due to the fact that I'm basically waiting to see what the final decision is to spend time studying the details.

 

If a high schooler moves across the state how can a public school which legally must enroll the student (I hope thats still true:p ) then be forced to not allow that student to participate in a school sanctioned activity by an association (KHSAA) set up just for the schools?

 

If a brilliant academically inclined student decides to transfer to a different school in order to win a Governors Cup, or similar academic reason, are there any regulations concerning that type situation? And if not, why?

Perhaps I'm out of touch and didn't realize that sports are giving the youth of Kentucky a better future than academics :creepy:

 

P.S. I invested much time & energy in youth sports for many years as well as following and enjoying HS sports greatly :thumb:

 

Cheers, Woody Jr

Great questions.:thumb:

 

I would hope there would be an appeal or waiver process for movements across the state. I am sure the transfer rules would fall into place there.

 

The state department of education has not appointed a group to be in charge, to my knowledge, with regards to transfers and their eligibility for Governors Cup. The KHSAA has been appointed to oversee the HS KY athletic scene.

I really wish the whole thing would just go away.

  • Author
From the KHSAA website and the weekly news release link. Last news release was 3/6.

 

PUBLIC/NON-PUBLIC UPDATE

 

The KHSAA Board of Control was presented an update on the Public/Non-Public Task Force Committee report with regard to proposals. KHSAA Commissioner Brigid DeVries will update the Kentucky Board of Education at its April meeting on the status of proposals. The Board went on record with a desire for the proposals to be presented to the member schools in the form of a referendum.

 

Said also there was a special meeting on appeals review for today in Bowling Green.

 

That's contradictory to what has apparently happened.

 

I'm so confused....and Gunner I want it to go away, but I'll keep running my mouth until a decision is made, no matter what the decision. Then, I'll do whatever possible to support the Private schools when whatever is decided is put into place. :D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.