April 21, 200620 yr With the location of your school, it doesn't seem that you would benefit from having the open enrollment. Obviously if the out of district student is a very rare animal there. But I guess there had been no detriment to being open enrollment unless a split like that were to occur. I do agree that this split is much more logical than the public/private split.
April 21, 200620 yr With the location of your school, it doesn't seem that you would benefit from having the open enrollment. Obviously if the out of district student is a very rare animal there. But I guess there had been no detriment to being open enrollment unless a split like that were to occur. I do agree that this split is much more logical than the public/private split. And this a foundation on my beliefs and many, many like me, (NOT what was spewed forth at the Board of Ed meeting) feel that there is not a level playing field.
April 21, 200620 yr I assume you would have size classifications in both the open and closed divisions and that the privates would have to participate in the open division. That your thinking LBBC?
April 21, 200620 yr I assume you would have size classifications in both the open and closed divisions and that the privates would have to participate in the open division. That your thinking LBBC? http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=86225 Notice that this was first put out there in January. Although since then, I could be convinced to narrow those size enrollments and go with only 3 classes. Combine Level 3 and 4 into one class. BTW, if a private school could swing no financial aid and only have students come from feeder schools, they would be in that last classification.
April 21, 200620 yr It seems to me that there are really only too options: 1)open recruiting for everyone 2) separation of private and publics As long as you put all the public schools who accept ANYONE out of their district(open enrollment) in the private group.
April 21, 200620 yr http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=86225 Notice that this was first put out there in January. Although since then, I could be convinced to narrow those size enrollments and go with only 3 classes. Combine Level 3 and 4 into one class. BTW, if a private school could swing no financial aid and only have students come from feeder schools, they would be in that last classification. If I'm interpreting that correctly, you'd put Beechood in the same level with Highlands since both are open enrollment and Highlands would not be in Level 1. You sure are trying to make friends in Beechwood. Not workable my friend. I think all private schools have to be in the open enrollment division unless they don't take students outside a radius that is no larger than shortest radius of the public schools district radius in their respective level. Once all the open enrollment/unrestricted schools are determined, they are broken out in 3 or 4 classes (depending on the number of schools in the open/unrestricted division. You would of course do the same for the closed enrollment publics and the privates that agree to limit the area that they can accept students. Financial aid would have no bearing as to what division a private was placed other than it would have to be awarded as it currently is through a third party. Public schools already award financial aid to the attending students (notice how I didn't say "their students") in the form of my tax dollars.
April 21, 200620 yr If I'm interpreting that correctly, you'd put Beechood in the same level with Highlands since both are open enrollment and Highlands would not be in Level 1. You sure are trying to make friends in Beechwood. Not workable my friend. I think all private schools have to be in the open enrollment division unless they don't take students outside a radius that is no larger than farthest radius of the public schools district radius. Once all the open enrollment/unrestricted schools are determined, they are broken out in 3 or 4 classes (depending on the number of schools in the open/unrestricted division. You would of course do the same for the closed enrollment publics and the privates that agree to limit the area that they can accept students. Financial aid would have no bearing as to what division a private was placed other than it would have to be awarded as it currently is through a third party. Public schools already award financial aid to the attending students (notice how I didn't say "their students") in the form of my tax dollars. Beechwood could choose to go closed boundaries and be in the 3rd class. As far as making friends, wouldn't be my concern but give kids 98% of the time in similar situations to be able to compete against kids in similar situations. I included financial aid because some feel that must be addressed when really it is not relevant to the discussion IMHO. I could remove it from my proposal. Does what you say end up with 6 to 8 classes? I think that would be way too many.
April 21, 200620 yr Beechwood could choose to go closed boundaries and be in the 3rd class. As far as making friends, wouldn't be my concern but give kids 98% of the time in similar situations to be able to compete against kids in similar situations. I included financial aid because some feel that must be addressed when really it is not relevant to the discussion IMHO. I could remove it from my proposal. Does what you say end up with 6 to 8 classes? I think that would be way too many. Sorry but you haven't convinced me as to your first sentence. You are basically penalizing schools that go with open enrollment, which is as unfair as anything currently in existance. I know you are not a fan of open enrollment and that's okay. But open enrollment provides a lot of parents a lot of options that are less expensive than private schools and for that reason alone, open enrollment should be encouraged, not discouraged. Make your school one that people will want to drive 30 minutes to get to and you will understand. Yes, a couple of years ago a player who lived in Triple Crown attended Highlands and thought the drive and traffic was well worth it. I do agree that 8 classes would be too many, but 6 classes is currently being studied. The number of teams in each class would be determined after the number of teams in each division was finalized. One division could have 3 and another two depending on where the schools landed. The schools with closed enrollment also would have the option of playing in the open division if they choose. My guess is that schools like Boone County who can't be open enrollment due to space limitations would elect to play in the open enrollment/private division because that's where the tougher competition would be...at least I think that's what they would do if I know Rick Thompson as well as I think I do.
April 21, 200620 yr Sorry but you haven't convinced me as to your first sentence. You are basically penalizing schools that go with open enrollment, which is as unfair as anything currently in existance. I know you are not a fan of open enrollment and that's okay. But open enrollment provides a lot of parents a lot of options that are less expensive than private schools and for that reason alone, open enrollment should be encouraged, not discouraged. Make your school one that people will want to drive 30 minutes to get to and you will understand. Yes, a couple of years ago a player who lived in Triple Crown attended Highlands and thought the drive and traffic was well worth it. I do agree that 8 classes would be too many, but 6 classes is currently being studied. The number of teams in each class would be determined after the number of teams in each division was finalized. One division could have 3 and another two depending on where the schools landed. The schools with closed enrollment also would have the option of playing in the open division if they choose. My guess is that schools like Boone County who can't be open enrollment due to space limitations would elect to play in the open enrollment/private division because that's where the tougher competition would be...at least I think that's what they would do if I know Rick Thompson as well as I think I do. That is for football and I am looking at all the sports and not limiting it to football. A lot of people think that sports ends and begins with football in this state. I am a girls coach and think of them way before football ever enters my mind.
April 21, 200620 yr That is for football and I am looking at all the sports and not limiting it to football. A lot of people think that sports ends and begins with football in this state. I am a girls coach and think of them way before football ever enters my mind. Guilty as charged! Well, at least I think that sports begin with football in this state.
April 21, 200620 yr Guilty as charged! Well, at least I think that sports begin with football in this state. I am guilty of looking at issues as they relate to girls sports. I guess we look at issues through the passions of our lives.:thumb:
April 21, 200620 yr ladiesbballcoach posted: BTW, if a private school could swing no financial aid and only have students come from feeder schools, they would be in that last classification. Why no financial aid? Publics receive 100% financial aid and pay $0. On this matter, if privates received 100% aid, it would only level the playing feild. What do you think?
April 21, 200620 yr I think all private schools have to be in the open enrollment division unless they don't take students outside a radius that is no larger than shortest radius of the public schools district radius in their respective level. So you would put Covington Latin, Lexington Sayre, Villa Madonna Academy, etc. in with the open enrollment schools like Highlands and Male?
April 22, 200620 yr The question that continues to eluded is how the KHSAA has gained so much power over the last few years. I have recently had first hand experience with an eligibility issue and it cost me over $4000.00 to provie I had a bonified change in residence. Please explain where the justice is with these people. Public/private they are all children.
April 22, 200620 yr The question that continues to eluded is how the KHSAA has gained so much power over the last few years. I have recently had first hand experience with an eligibility issue and it cost me over $4000.00 to provie I had a bonified change in residence. Please explain where the justice is with these people. Public/private they are all children. 4,000 to circumvent the rule? or 4000 to prove that you had moved which could have been done with free copies of documents from the courthouse or free sales agreements for your house?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.