Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Newport 2014/2015

Featured Replies

Basketball season for 2014/2015 should provide another exciting year. What should we expect from Newport. Remember, please be constructive.

I think they'll take a step forward this year. Ethan Snapp is ready to take the next step in his development as "thee" guy. I look for him to score in a multitude of ways and be a tough kid to stop. Price is a gritty, up in your face guard, who can pester you defensively. I also like the Ochoa kid for this team. A little more raw, but liked his hustle and grit last year. If he can develop a little more he could be a solid contributor defensively. Add in Kedan Davis, who I know less about, but I've heard solid things, and they have more pieces this year than last. Also bringing back Dom Joseph and Kam Covington who are both strong kids...

 

My wonder is about Rico Hollis. I know nothing about him other than some on here have said he may be the best freshman in the region.

 

Add to all this that Coach Snapp typically gets the most from his guys and does a nice job, and again, I think Newport will take a step forward.

Can someone give me a full rundown on Snapp's game? Size, Height, Position, etc.?

Can someone give me a full rundown on Snapp's game? Size, Height, Position, etc.?

 

Ethan is a slight of build 6'1. He is extremely crafty with the ball. Lots of fakes. Can pull up, on the move, from just about anywhere and hit the shot. He is not going to win many sprints in track and no one will be expecting him to dunk on a break away. He has an extremely high basketball IQ.

Another name to keep an eye on for Newport this year is soph to be Najee Williams. Athletic kid with a lot of upside.

 

Newport will be a top 5-7 team in the region, IMO. Snapp is going to flat out put in work on teams and they will be very good defensively, IMO.

 

Newport will be deeper this year than last. Brandon Kilburn should provide depth off the bench.

 

Losing Mike Turner will hurt as far as leadership goes.

Another name to keep an eye on for Newport this year is soph to be Najee Williams. Athletic kid with a lot of upside.

 

Newport will be a top 5-7 team in the region, IMO. Snapp is going to flat out put in work on teams and they will be very good defensively, IMO.

 

Newport will be deeper this year than last. Brandon Kilburn should provide depth off the bench.

 

Losing Mike Turner will hurt as far as leadership goes.

 

Did we not hear this last year and then Highlands sent them packing in the first round of the Districts? Nice team, but top 5 is really pushing it.

I'm a big Ethan Snapp fan. Never met the kid but I think his game has a ton of swagger to it. I don't think he fears anyone and that makes me like him even more.

Did we not hear this last year and then Highlands sent them packing in the first round of the Districts? Nice team, but top 5 is really pushing it.

 

Newport was pretty young last year for the most part.

 

Outside of Mike Turner, they were all either sophomores or juniors. They will be much more experienced this year.

 

- Ethan Snapp will likely lead the region in scoring. (20 ppg last year as a soph)

 

- Paul Price (14.3 ppg, 5 rpg) and Dom Joseph (6 ppg, 5 rpg) are two of the better defenders in the region and play with extremely high motors.

 

- Kam Covington averaged 10 and 9 as a sophomore...that production is only going to increase this year with added experience and time in the gym/weightroom.

 

- Najee Williams and Rico Hollis are two of the better young guys in the region.

 

- Newport returns their top 3 scorers from last year and 4 of their top 5 from a team that finished 15-11.

 

I like them and Newcath to get out of the 36th this coming year. Have you seen them play? They have some talent and more importantly, play together well as a TEAM.

Newport was pretty young last year for the most part.

 

Outside of Mike Turner, they were all either sophomores or juniors. They will be much more experienced this year.

 

- Ethan Snapp will likely lead the region in scoring. (20 ppg last year as a soph)

 

- Paul Price (14.3 ppg, 5 rpg) and Dom Joseph (6 ppg, 5 rpg) are two of the better defenders in the region and play with extremely high motors.

 

- Kam Covington averaged 10 and 9 as a sophomore...that production is only going to increase this year with added experience and time in the gym/weightroom.

 

- Najee Williams and Rico Hollis are two of the better young guys in the region.

 

- Newport returns their top 3 scorers from last year and 4 of their top 5 from a team that finished 15-11.

 

I like them and Newcath to get out of the 36th this coming year. Have you seen them play? They have some talent and more importantly, play together well as a TEAM.

 

Yes I have seen them play. If you keep picking them and NCC you are bound to be correct some year. They also lack size which creates many problems for them when they play the top level teams in the region. As I said, nice team, but not top 5 in the 9th.

I'm a big Ethan Snapp fan. Never met the kid but I think his game has a ton of swagger to it. I don't think he fears anyone and that makes me like him even more.

Boy has game! Skinny as a rail, but big heart and a true gym rat from what I hear. Dad does a fine job coaching the team. Newport will have a nice season.

Yes I have seen them play. If you keep picking them and NCC you are bound to be correct some year. They also lack size which creates many problems for them when they play the top level teams in the region. As I said, nice team, but not top 5 in the 9th.

 

I said top 5-7 in the region.

 

Consistency, like most years, will be their biggest issue. The talent and pieces are there for them to be able to beat anyone listed 5-10 but that lack of consistency is why I wouldn't put them as the 5th best team in the region.

 

If I had to rank the top 5, I'd go:

 

Newcath, Covcath, Holmes, Dixie, Cooper

 

Boone, St Henry, Conner, and Newport being the next set of teams contending for 6-9...and yes I think Newport could beat any of those teams lumped in that category with them.

 

Highlands was better than given credit for last year but also got hot at the right time. Coach L did a great job with that group and no doubt in my mind this year's team will progress nicely, but judging from what I've seen so far, I'd take Newport over them.

Boy has game! Skinny as a rail, but big heart and a true gym rat from what I hear. Dad does a fine job coaching the team. Newport will have a nice season.

 

Agreed. Dad wins the Dick Fick award for Creative Communications while Coaching. Love sitting behind that bench.....

Boone, St Henry, Conner, and Newport being the next set of teams contending for 6-9...and yes I think Newport could beat any of those teams lumped in that category with them.

 

Curious as to how/why you have Conner here in this group? I'm afraid they, like Ryle, will be in major rebuild mode.

 

And I do not think that Newport can beat either Boone, nor St Henry.

I have just seen Newport more than most others on this site and know what they are capable of.

 

I don't think they can compete with or beat a team like Newcath, Covcath, Holmes, or Dixie, but they will be better than most realize. (Yes I know this is said virtually every year)

I thought Newport was 13-14. I could certainly be wrong, but I thought I heard/saw that. I think Newport could certainly be in that 5-10 range in the 9th, and play with/beat any of those teams, whomever they may be. On any given night, this team may be able to put a scare into the top teams. This said, I don't think Snapp will be the key to the number of wins for this team... I have to believe he's going to get his, he's that good. The key, IMO, will be the production of the role players, and the ability to somehow neutralize their opponents inside scoring. Covington and Joseph certainly aren't tall, but Covington has long arms and big hands, and both are strong and play with a high motor. The play of guys like Kedan Davis, Rico Hollis, and even Ochoa will play an important role. I think this team will be able to get up into its opponents and defend fairly well.

 

Also, while Turner was a nice player, he was a senior with a bunch of sophomores. That can be tough for chemistry and philosophy of a team and it's players.

 

Snapp tends to get more out of his talent than some people may initially think. Those kids will play their tails off. I think they'll be better this year than they were last year.

Edited by NKyBFAST
Edit

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.