Mack to Wake Forest?

OlDog75

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wake isn't a better job, and given the roster and the teams you have to crawl over to make the dance, it is much worse. However, it satisfies three things that Chris needs:

a) He knows the school and the area, and has a genuine love for the place.

b) They can pay him more because they have football, and their largest donor is one of his best friends (and is a bazillionaire).

c) Leverage to get Xavier to pay more.

He is one of the lowest paid coaches in the Big East and is making 1/2 of what Mick Cronin now makes. Chris does NOT want to leave, but he is willing to. If Xavier isn't willing to pay him like a top tier coach in the Big East, he will leave.

Chris, like every other coach in America, has aspirations at having one of THE jobs in College Basketball. With his class next year coming in, and with what I believe he'll have returning, he could be a year away from making that happen. If he goes to Wake Forest, he'll have a 3 to 5 year plan to just get competitive in that league, much less be in position to be a Top 10 to 15 team in America.

I don't think Wake is a very good place to land. Not exactly a big move up and you can get caught in a pretty nasty loop of poor seasons given the depth that the ACC looks to have in the coming years.

I wouldn't leave X for Wake, but you never know what a guy is looking for.

Creighton appears to be taking a step back heading into next season, as will Providence. Xavier brings most of the team back and adds Remy Abell... a good season next year and he can get a better job than Wake.

^I think that's a mistake. He's been very average (at best) since taking over.

In five years he has two Sweet 16's and is awaiting a Top 10 class to arrive in August. He has had some horrible misses in recruiting, and there are a number of other fair criticisms of him that would be fair, but by and large, I think call his tenure average would be a bit harsh. Regardless, he certainly doesn't belong in the 9th position for head coaching salaries in the Big East.

Both Xavier and Chris would be well served to stay. In Xavier's case, you keep that class together, you have continuity, and they should be a Top 10-15 team next year. In Chris' case, you are closer to being "the guy" when a true plum job opens up by having a great team next year. If he goes to Wake he is 3-5 years from fielding a great team, if ever.

And JP Macura, and Sumner out of Michigan, and the big kid out of Illinois. It is truly a great class. Abell is already on the team and on campus, I wasn't even including him, but yes, he is a big part of the group.

You know I'm a big fan of Bluiett and Sumner. Not totally sold on any of the other three. Macura will have to show he has high major athleticism which I think is 50/50.

Doesn't sound like X is willing to pay at the high end level so if Wake offers it will be interesting to see how much of a hometown discount he is willing to give...

You can't know the first decisively, but to your latter point, he will give no hometown discount.

MTGL, you could combine a couple threads here. Would their be a position on Mack's staff for Coach Ruthsatz? Mack's the one that introduce him to Colonel nation, will he be the one that takes him away? The "grassy knoll" theroist could be in full swing on that one!