Mack to Wake Forest?

OlDog75

Wake isn't a better job, and given the roster and the teams you have to crawl over to make the dance, it is much worse. However, it satisfies three things that Chris needs:

a) He knows the school and the area, and has a genuine love for the place.

b) They can pay him more because they have football, and their largest donor is one of his best friends (and is a bazillionaire).

c) Leverage to get Xavier to pay more.

He is one of the lowest paid coaches in the Big East and is making 1/2 of what Mick Cronin now makes. Chris does NOT want to leave, but he is willing to. If Xavier isn't willing to pay him like a top tier coach in the Big East, he will leave.

Chris, like every other coach in America, has aspirations at having one of THE jobs in College Basketball. With his class next year coming in, and with what I believe he'll have returning, he could be a year away from making that happen. If he goes to Wake Forest, he'll have a 3 to 5 year plan to just get competitive in that league, much less be in position to be a Top 10 to 15 team in America.

Obviously there is a lot of good information in the quoted post, so I'm using the big M as my guide on how this plays out, or if its even a possibility.

FWIW, Channel 12 reported on this several days ago and it was the last news item of the day, and Brad J. basically said "no chance he leaves".

X is a nice job. One, someone shouldn't be in a hurry to jump from. But, in the X position you likely have to ask yourself how many times the ACC or Big 10 will come calling. And if they do, do you have enough confidence in your staff to think you can win at that level, regardless of which school it is.

Wake has been good before, they will be good again. And, whenever I talk about Wake I have to mention that it is the most beautiful campus I've ever seen. I've visited many, Wake's my pick for favorite campus ever

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...