Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marquette's Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech

Featured Replies

SI reported that Buzz tried to get the Auburn gig. If I were him, I would have tried to get the BC job if you wanted to jump to the ACC.

  • Replies 42
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buzz and the new AD at Marquette were not on the same page and Buzz wanted out bad...

 

It must have been bad to bold for VT.

SI reported that Buzz tried to get the Auburn gig. If I were him, I would have tried to get the BC job if you wanted to jump to the ACC.

 

Buzz is MUCH more Blacksburg than he is Boston...

Buzz is MUCH more Blacksburg than he is Boston...

 

Surprises me- he always struck me as a guy who could handle a big city market and I thought he would go over well coming from a Catholic university in an urban market like Milwaukee.

 

Marquette should try to get Shaka Smart- not sure if there are any ties there, but I think he could be very successful at Marquette.

Surprises me- he always struck me as a guy who could handle a big city market and I thought he would go over well coming from a Catholic university in an urban market like Milwaukee.

 

Marquette should try to get Shaka Smart- not sure if there are any ties there, but I think he could be very successful at Marquette.

 

Greg Marshall is probably more realistic- he would be successful at Marquette as well.

Will be interesting to see who Marquette targets...McDermott, Marshall?

Why would Marshall leave WSU for Marquette?

 

He's too hot for Marquette.

Why would Marshall leave WSU for Marquette?

 

He's too hot for Marquette.

 

I agree. However, I would think they'd at least make him say no.

FB post from my nephew, die hard fan and Marquette grad living in downtown Milwaukee:

 

"Buzz did a great job with his teams in 2011, 2012, and 2013. For that I'm thankful (even more thankful, though, for the players that performed on the court and got us to where they did).

 

He also did a really good job of using his sweet, country-bumpkin persona to make it seem like everything he did and said was real - as some came to see in 2012 (with SMU) and this year, it was all about angling for another job.

Not much more to the story than he got sad when fans didn't stroke his ego this year.

 

He left on his own. I honestly don't know if he is made for a real basketball school with how fragile his ego is...one bad year and he couldn't take the criticism that came with it!"

Edited by hoops5

And More:

It doesn't help that MU only has an interim president and athletic director right now - I can see how frustrating it'd be to be the most public facing employee and not know who your boss or boss's boss is. He has used the coaching carousel almost every year to try to get a new contract deal...and has succeeded until now. I think he misplayed a power play this year. He was probably expecting MU to increase his contract after VT offered him one, and they said NO. Good for MU.

Why would Marshall leave WSU for Marquette?

 

He's too hot for Marquette.

 

What else is open?

 

I think Marquette is the best gig, maybe BC is better or on the same level. Those are both good gigs- you'll get a couple million a year and the resources and support to be successful. BC is in a much tougher conference, so I figure folks will be hot for the Marquette job. Plus, Marquette has talent- they are set up to win right away.

What else is open?

 

I think Marquette is the best gig, maybe BC is better or on the same level. Those are both good gigs- you'll get a couple million a year and the resources and support to be successful. BC is in a much tougher conference, so I figure folks will be hot for the Marquette job. Plus, Marquette has talent- they are set up to win right away.

 

It's not like Marshall doesn't have a sweet gig already. If he's patient he'll get plenty of bigger jobs to try to get.

Ben Howland has been contacted.

It's not like Marshall doesn't have a sweet gig already. If he's patient he'll get plenty of bigger jobs to try to get.

 

I disagree. I think a team like Marquette is about where he goes next. I do not think a marquee program gives him a shot, like if Cal goes to the NBA or if Izzo or Coach K or Roy Williams retired. Plus, I REALLY think Marquette is a good gig. You can recruit New York and New Jersey as a Big East team, they have talent returning and you are the top campus draw sports wise. JMO. We'll see what Marshall's future holds- I would at least make him tell me know if I am Marquette.

Ben Howland has been contacted.

 

Okay- I guess that makes some sense.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.