Braves: Medlen and Beachy hurt, sign Santana

Looks like Medlen is gonna be out a while if not the entire year. Beachy was sore again but they claim its normal soreness and not another injury. In a surprise move Liberty media allowed Wren to go over budget and sign Ervin Santana to a 1 year $14 mil deal.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's official' date=' Medlen will be getting Tommy John.[/quote']

That sucks. He started slow but ended up playing well last year.

Hopefully Beachy recovers but I'm not optimistic. Minor has been hurting as well. If Minor can get healthy along with Beachy...

Teheran/Minor/Santana/Beachy/Wood-Garcia-Hale still ain't too bad.

Wood at the beginning of the year was on the outside looking in for a starting rotation spot but given the injuries, he's got it now. Pitching is a strength for us so we are okay for now barring no more injuries.

Pitching is far from a strength this year. I'm as big a Braves fan as there is but with them letting Hudson go the Braves were going to be relying heavily on their youth to carry them, which often times is bad.

Hoping they'll be okay but Wood and Hale are both inconsistent and haven't shown they can handle the workload (yet) and Teheran was also iffy at times. Medlen and Beachy are both injury prone and Minor is hurt now. So....Tell me again how this is a strength?

Pitching is far from a strength this year. I'm as big a Braves fan as there is but with them letting Hudson go the Braves were going to be relying heavily on their youth to carry them, which often times is bad.

Hoping they'll be okay but Wood and Hale are both inconsistent and haven't shown they can handle the workload (yet) and Teheran was also iffy at times. Medlen and Beachy are both injury prone and Minor is hurt now. So....Tell me again how this is a strength?

Hudson was solid but was starting to fall off a little of his game but he would still be a very good pitcher for us if he remained here. Wood showed good stuff last year so I think he can do the same. We had quite a bit of pitching going into the season and while the injuries have hurt us, its not like its a weakness right now. So I should at least amend my words and say its not a strength.

My biggest problem with the whole signing of Santana, is that despite only signing him to a 1-year deal we have to give up a high draft pick to the Royals because of this. The Indians had to do the same for us last year when they signed Bourn. I'd be okay with that if we signed Santana to a longer term deal but I know we don't want to do that with Santana and were only looking for a short term to deal to fix an immediate problem.

Hudson was solid but was starting to fall off a little of his game but he would still be a very good pitcher for us if he remained here. Wood showed good stuff last year so I think he can do the same. We had quite a bit of pitching going into the season and while the injuries have hurt us' date=' its not like its a weakness right now. So I should at least amend my words and say its not a strength. My biggest problem with the whole signing of Santana, is that despite only signing him to a 1-year deal we have to give up a high draft pick to the Royals because of this. The Indians had to do the same for us last year when they signed Bourn. I'd be okay with that if we signed Santana to a longer term deal but I know we don't want to do that with Santana and were only looking for a short term to deal to fix an immediate problem.[/quote']

Don't the braves have an extra pick for McCann?

And will they not be able to recoup the pick next year when Santana leaves?

Hudson was solid but was starting to fall off a little of his game but he would still be a very good pitcher for us if he remained here. Wood showed good stuff last year so I think he can do the same. We had quite a bit of pitching going into the season and while the injuries have hurt us' date=' its not like its a weakness right now. So I should at least amend my words and say its not a strength. My biggest problem with the whole signing of Santana, is that despite only signing him to a 1-year deal we have to give up a high draft pick to the Royals because of this. The Indians had to do the same for us last year when they signed Bourn. I'd be okay with that if we signed Santana to a longer term deal but I know we don't want to do that with Santana and were only looking for a short term to deal to fix an immediate problem.[/quote']

While Wood did show signs of promise he was also inconsistent. I have no doubt they make due but pitching has went from a surplus and strength to just having enough.