Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Homeschooling a privilege, not a right?

Featured Replies

 

In your post you justified the behavior by germany because of this religious "nutjobs" teach their childern. I didn't post that you did.

 

I did no such justification. I just said I'm concerned that the rise in homeschooling and Protestant Christian schools over the past couple decades has occurred for specious reasons that are not entirely religious-based.

  • Replies 53
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:thumb:

 

I'd never home school my kid for this reason. You can't teach them how to interact with people, with no interaction.

 

I would personally never home school a child either. But to each their own, its a parents right to do whats best for the child.

My guess is religious nuts were going out of their way to "educate" their children in an atmosphere that ignores the reality of science. Kinda like how so many Christian schools cropped up in the US over the last couple decades, which has led is into this current era of willful stupidity and political divide.

 

I take this post as finding justification for current events. These willfully stupid christians caused this.

Nope, I'm just willing to call it what it is. I'm of the opinion that the reasons for the growth in the (Protestant) Christian school industry and the trend toward homeschooling is because of these reasons:

 

• A desire for an "education" that doesn't include real science

• A desire to get kids into a more homogenous (i.e., white) school environment; to "protect" their kids from undesirables

• Political reasons

Are there some who send their kids to a Christian school or homeschool for legit religious reasons? I'm sure there are. But I think far more of them do it for the reasons I list above, and they frame them in a religious context out of convenience, when their real reasons are sociological and political in nature.

 

Little harsh there Jim. Most people send their kids there (Christian schools) for two reasons; first and foremost (for many) for the Christian environment their kid will be in throughout the school day, and the positive influences they believe that comes with that. Secondly...and actually is the primary reason for some...the parents don't like the direction the public school(s) in their area are going and don't want their kid there if possible. And with all the stuff going on in a LOT of the public schools, who can blame them? Sounds to me as if you have a bee in your bonnet concerning Christian schools, and why that would be I don't know. There are many parents who sacrifice greatly to send their kids to Christian and Catholic schools for the two primary reasons I highlighted. I think you just belittled a lot of people in your post, and as Jumper Dad said, painted with an awfully wide brush.

Are you serious?

 

In public schools we are not allowed to discuss religion. If a parent wants a childs education to be faith based and you can't recieve a faith based education in public school I think it falls under religious freedom to be able to home school your child in the manner that you feel will help them be better people.

 

 

I'm not a religious nut job. But I believe the freedom of religion is as important as any right we have.

 

So send them to a private school that is centered around your beliefs. Or teach them about religion outside of school. Not allowing home-schooling, for whatever reason they do, doesn't hinder a person's ability to worship or practice whatever religious faith they so choose. Not in the slightest.

I wonder how many BGPers that attended Catholic Schools and send their children to them would agree that education devoid of religion would be the same as without. Wouldn't that be the same for home schooling with a Christian or other religious background.

I know families that sacrifice almost everything to be able to afford religious based schools for their children because they feel the education is better, you don't have that option in Germany.

 

I wonder how many BGPers that attended Catholic Schools and send their children to them would agree that education devoid of religion would be the same as without.

 

What do you mean? Germany has private Christian schools....

What do you mean? Germany has private Christian schools....

Your right I had two different thoughts and wrote half of each?

What do you mean? Germany has private Christian schools....

 

Germany's situation is really different. They treat religion in school in a way that we would consider startling in the US. It's taught in public school based on the religion of your family. You're permitted to opt out. Public taxes pay to subsidize churches and other religious institutions. It's hard to make a real comparison.

I take this post as finding justification for current events. These willfully stupid christians caused this.

 

You forgot racist.

I just want to make sure I've gleaned the main points.

 

People who advocate homeschooling (I don't by the way, but I am way in favor of private schools and tax credits for parents that opt to go that route) are racist, uneducated nut jobs.

 

Got it.

So send them to a private school that is centered around your beliefs. Or teach them about religion outside of school. Not allowing home-schooling, for whatever reason they do, doesn't hinder a person's ability to worship or practice whatever religious faith they so choose. Not in the slightest.

 

What if there isn't a private school that teaches in the faith you practice. What if I'm Baptist and only private Christian school is a Catholic school. So I'm out of luck? I don't have a right to raise my child in a faith based education because of geography?

I wonder how many BGPers that attended Catholic Schools and send their children to them would agree that education devoid of religion would be the same as without. Wouldn't that be the same for home schooling with a Christian or other religious background.

 

I went to 12 years of Catholic school and understand the benefit of faith based education. It's not for everyone. But I think the option whether it be a private school or home schooling should be allowed for all American citizens. I didn't even know there were people in this country who were against people home schooling their children until this thread.

What if there isn't a private school that teaches in the faith you practice. What if I'm Baptist and only private Christian school is a Catholic school. So I'm out of luck? I don't have a right to raise my child in a faith based education because of geography?

 

I'm pretty sure freedom of religion means you're able to practice whatever faith you choose without the threat of government persecution. Not sure how attending faith based schools falls under that umbrella....

I'm pretty sure freedom of religion means you're able to practice whatever faith you choose without the threat of government persecution. Not sure how attending faith based schools falls under that umbrella....

 

Why do you think their our Catholic schools? It is important to that religion and as a part of it's faith to have faith based education. I'm guessing most religions are the same way. Restricting faith based education is restricting a part of the religion.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.