Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Homeschooling a privilege, not a right?

Featured Replies

What other country would grant asylum to a family who disagreed w/ their school system?

  • Replies 53
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nope, I'm just willing to call it what it is. I'm of the opinion that the reasons for the growth in the (Protestant) Christian school industry and the trend toward homeschooling is because of these reasons:

 

• A desire for an "education" that doesn't include real science

• A desire to get kids into a more homogenous (i.e., white) school environment; to "protect" their kids from undesirables

• Political reasons

 

Are there some who send their kids to a Christian school or homeschool for legit religious reasons? I'm sure there are. But I think far more of them do it for the reasons I list above, and they frame them in a religious context out of convenience, when their real reasons are sociological and political in nature.

 

Kind of a narrow minded view of Christians isn't it Jim? I guess it is easier to paint with that wide brush.

 

Do you actually think that Christian schools don't teach science? If you believe that I hope you never have a doctor from one of the many Christian Universities in the US, because I guess all they know is how to pray and maybe wave snakes over your body :lol2:

 

My daughter participates in the Governors Cup Academic Team Competition and the kids from the local "Christian" school dominate in Science categories.

Kind of a narrow minded view of Christians isn't it Jim? I guess it is easier to paint with that wide brush.

 

Do you actually think that Christian schools don't teach science? If you believe that I hope you never have a doctor from one of the many Christian Universities in the US, because I guess all they know is how to pray and maybe wave snakes over your body :lol2:

 

My daughter participates in the Governors Cup Academic Team Competition and the kids from the local "Christian" school dominate in Science categories.

Many home-schoolers are great at memorizing Bible verses and competing in geography bees, but they lack socialization skills necessary to get a job in which one has to deal with the public.

Many home-schoolers are great at memorizing Bible verses and competing in geography bees, but they lack socialization skills necessary to get a job in which one has to deal with the public.

 

What are you talking about? Jim mentioned that people went Home/Christian School due to not wanting to teach Science...has nothing to do with what your discussing

I think we're a little off topic as far as whether or not home-schooling is a net positive for children.

 

In the United States, we recognize the right of individuals to educate their children in a way they see fit, within the bounds of U.S. law.

 

We also do not believe that another country not allowing people to educate their children at home is sufficient reason to grant them political asylum.

 

I don't really have a problem with that. If we grant that as political or religious oppression, we're going to be FULL of people being granted asylum for all sorts of things.

We are full of people now that aren't even seeking asylum...they just come in and take what they can get.

We are full of people now that aren't even seeking asylum...they just come in and take what they can get.

 

Also sort of beside the point at this juncture. But net migration has been pretty stagnant since the recession. It'll be interesting to see if it's picked up again recently.

Also sort of beside the point at this juncture. But net migration has been pretty stagnant since the recession. It'll be interesting to see if it's picked up again recently.

I have a follow up but don't want to hijack this any further

Let's take Christian out of it, and replace it with Muslim, and let's also replace Germany with any of the numerous Middle Eastern countries.

 

This thread wouldn't exist, and if it did, the majority would be screaming for deportation because they didn't follow the proper immigration channels.

 

I'll ask again since no one has answered yet....How is this a religious freedom issue?

Muslims do get Muslim based education in the middle east. Not sure your point.

 

Better example of the point your trying to make would be Muslim family seeking Asylum because they do not want a Jewish education in Israel.

Many home-schoolers are great at memorizing Bible verses and competing in geography bees, but they lack socialization skills necessary to get a job in which one has to deal with the public.

 

:thumb:

 

I'd never home school my kid for this reason. You can't teach them how to interact with people, with no interaction.

Nice loaded question. How about you — have you stopped beating your wife yet?

 

Of course I'm not "against religious freedom." That's silly, and you're reading too much into my statement with an eye toward generating false outrage if that's what you extrapolated from it.

 

In your post you justified the behavior by germany because of this religious "nutjobs" teach their childern. I didn't post that you did.

How is not allowing parents to home-school their children infringing upon religious freedoms?

 

Are you serious?

 

In public schools we are not allowed to discuss religion. If a parent wants a childs education to be faith based and you can't recieve a faith based education in public school I think it falls under religious freedom to be able to home school your child in the manner that you feel will help them be better people.

 

 

I'm not a religious nut job. But I believe the freedom of religion is as important as any right we have.

I think we're a little off topic as far as whether or not home-schooling is a net positive for children.

 

In the United States, we recognize the right of individuals to educate their children in a way they see fit, within the bounds of U.S. law.

 

We also do not believe that another country not allowing people to educate their children at home is sufficient reason to grant them political asylum.

 

I don't really have a problem with that. If we grant that as political or religious oppression, we're going to be FULL of people being granted asylum for all sorts of things.

 

I agree with your statement.

 

My posts were directed at in this country I find it to be important to religious freedom. But I agree it would be hard for us to allow all people who can't be home schooled in other countries to come here.

Let's take Christian out of it, and replace it with Muslim, and let's also replace Germany with any of the numerous Middle Eastern countries.

 

This thread wouldn't exist, and if it did, the majority would be screaming for deportation because they didn't follow the proper immigration channels.

 

I'll ask again since no one has answered yet....How is this a religious freedom issue?

 

It is Gemrany, I guess they don't have the same respect for religious freedom as we do here. But I agree we can't grant citizenship to everyone that would be affected by this. I find it sad that in Germany someone can't have a faith based education if they wanted. But that can't be our problem. This family needs to go through same channels as everyone else.

 

It is a religious freedom issue, it just shouldn't be our problem.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.