Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Beechwood 2014

Featured Replies

Dinger....You have missed the Mac Daddy in Coach Sanders of Bellevue/Bluegrass Chiefs. He does more for kids than any coach I know. He even helps them once they have graduated. I don't know if Mr. Mullins does anything like that. Coach Sanders or the organization he started back in 91, if I recall correctly, don't seem to get the credit they deserve. It's always Midland, Flames and was even a Florence Freedom for a time, getting all the credit. Not going to take anything away from those organizations, but come on man!

 

I don't know one high school coach in the area known for getting baseball players opportunities on the next level besides Mullins. He is going to get the best players to transfer in for the opportunity he affords. The days of the high school team being about the showboating coach are are over and what he can do for the player is the new norm. It was time for the change. To be clear most of the work done for Beechwood players was done by the Flames and Midland, but Mullins has done his fair share. IMO
  • Replies 61
  • Views 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading through all these threads I think the Beechwood boys better be ready to have the biggest BULLSEYE on their back any team has had around here for quite some time. JMO!

IMO, It will be Beechwood players under pressure trying to live up to the hype. As for Beechwood facing other teams aces ,They might see the aces in district games, but beside that, they will probably need to make sure they can hit the off speed pitches. I'm not sure about the whole team, but several can hit the heck out of the fast ball , but not as effective with the off speed junk.

Coach Sanders is the "Godfather" of select baseball in Nky..He is a very good coach and even a better person..:thumb:

I did skip a valuable part of the baseball community, but your missing the big picture of my post, more players would have a chance to play at some level of college if their high school coaches were more involved and enlightening them as a freshman of the recruiting process. A lot of players parents don't have college degrees and have no idea of the recruiting process. There could be better advocates. I don't think you are disagreeing with that.

I did skip a valuable part of the baseball community, but your missing the big picture of my post, more players would have a chance to play at some level of college if their high school coaches were more involved and enlightening them as a freshman of the recruiting process. A lot of players parents don't have college degrees and have no idea of the recruiting process. There could be better advocates. I don't think you are disagreeing with that.

 

I must admit, college baseball recruiting is totally different than anything I have heard of or been a part of. There are a big number of talented athlete that miss out on scholarships not because of talent but exposure and the numbers game of college baseball play a big part. I agree, there are a huge number of high school coaches who do not take the time to explain to their players the recruiting process.

Teams playing Beechwood need to worry as much about hitting Beechwood's pitching as they are about Beechwood's offense. I believe they had the lowest ERA in the region and all starters back. Lead the region in homers. I don't see how coach Mullins can sleep at night! Lol

 

They have a lot of power!

And Beechwood's ranked #23 in state preseason as everyone probably knows in another thread. What do you all think about Beechwood's ranking?

My guess is that the only teams that they are guaranteed to see the number ones from would be Cov Cath and others in their district. I don't think other coaches will be that concerned with a game against Beechwood to shuffle their rotation. District seeding games are much more important to a coach , than a game against a perceived top team IMO.

Very true. The only teams that even care that much about Beechwood to scramble their rotation to get their #1 to face Beechwood would be those in their district playing district games against them for seeding purposes. Other than that, who really cares who they put on the mound to face them? Not taking anything away from Beechwood because they do have some very good players and all but as I stated already. I saw them struggle against Cooper last year and the pitcher they threw against Beechwood wasn't their #1 and Beechwood struggled with the breaking ball for the most part.

And Beechwood's ranked #23 in state preseason as everyone probably knows in another thread. What do you all think about Beechwood's ranking?

 

I think it's where they should be. Have they proven anything to this point to be ranked any higher other than having college commits?

I think it's where they should be. Have they proven anything to this point to be ranked any higher other than having college commits?

I agree.

 

Beechwood should and probably will finish much higher in the rankings, but until they can prove themselves I think it's about right.

 

As I said in another post, Ryle went into last year very quiet as everyone else was talking about Beechwood and NCC etc. Ruyle only ended up winning regionals and went down state. It's the same philosophy I think Beechwood should take this year.

 

Let their play on the field do the talking.

And Beechwood's ranked #23 in state preseason as everyone probably knows in another thread. What do you all think about Beechwood's ranking?

 

Preface: Please, please do not take the following as a knock on Beechwood. I think they have great players and I respect the heck out of Coach Mullins.

 

With that said, I have no problem with them being #23 in the preseason poll. They do have great players as I mentioned and as evidenced by the DI offers. However, I don't think you can move them any higher until they prove that they are a good team (in the sense of top 25 in the state b/c obviously they will be a good team in general). The reason I say that is because will they have highly ranked players, that's not always the deciding factor in how good a team is. Just ask the UK basketball team.

 

Although after having said all that, I see no reason Beechwood won't be able to put together a strong 2014 campaign and rise up the rankings.

 

Once again, please don't take what I said as a knock on the Tigers. Just wanted to put out that the players have to become a team to really rise up the rankings which UK didn't do.

I agree with that for sure Dinger! I can tell you that this was the first thing I introduced to the Cooper parents 3 years ago. At that time they were at least given some tools as a parent to help their child. I don't know of any program that actually does that. The sad thing is I don't think this is something that stayed in place since my departure. I feel that giving the parents some tools is the least they could do. Let the parent work from there.

 

I did skip a valuable part of the baseball community, but your missing the big picture of my post, more players would have a chance to play at some level of college if their high school coaches were more involved and enlightening them as a freshman of the recruiting process. A lot of players parents don't have college degrees and have no idea of the recruiting process. There could be better advocates. I don't think you are disagreeing with that.

Raiderbird...........Wish I would have selected "Godfather". That by far is the best choice. And you are correct with both statements regarding coaching and him as a person. Using the words of Coach Sanders....."OUTSTANDING" sums him up as just an overall person.

 

Coach Sanders is the "Godfather" of select baseball in Nky..He is a very good coach and even a better person..:thumb:
If I was a betting man I say he goes to UK...

 

Michigan would be his first choice

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.