Peyton Manning's 'OMAHA' Audibles Make $$$

Yeah, both Peyton and Eli have done this for years (I didn't know which started it)... Not sure why it's getting so much publicity all of a sudden.

Because of the mics that the centers where and it seems to pick up everything the QB says. I'm waiting for a QB to say something like, "Make sure you pick up that dumb ............who can't disguises his blitzes" in a game.

I can hear it, now.

"Grey 86 Red 27 Taco Bell Taco Bell India Avacado Growers Association 45 45 hut hut".

Actually, I was envisioning a new SNL skit...

Airport scene. Lady with microphone "Attention flyers, Delta flight 216, non-stop from Denver to..." (Manning suddenly appears, grabs mic, and shouts) OMAHA! OMAHA! (Hands mic back to lady) She continues "now boarding at gate 4"

Yeah, both Peyton and Eli have done this for years (I didn't know which started it)... Not sure why it's getting so much publicity all of a sudden.

Because it's being repeated so many times by Peyton and the Omaha Steak Company, Omaha, Nebraska Department of Tourism, etc. tried to offer Peyton money for each time he used it in the Playoffs. They basically saw it as a way to get free publicity. No one really associated Peyton's saying 'Omaha' with steaks, but now that they've made the offer, it's being associated with it. Smart move by them to get themselves free advertising and publicity.

I liken it to Chad Johnson getting fined by the league for his excessive celebrations. However, those celebrations would be replayed repeatedly on Sportscenter, which would get his name out there and encourage people to buy his brand. For what he paid in fines, he would have paid 10x that much to actually buy the kind of airtime he was getting.

Okay' date=' I'm with you. I will say I still think Omaha is on one because I haven't seen Eli freeze anyone on that count, but conceivably he could if it isn't the trigger word.[/quote']

I'm fairly certain I've seen him use it with a two or even three count. Most of the time he uses it quick though because the Giants (at least under Gilbride) were slow up to the LOS. Hopefully that changes with the new offensive coordinator.

• 1 year later...
I'm fairly certain I've seen him use it with a two or even three count. Most of the time he uses it quick though because the Giants (at least under Gilbride) were slow up to the LOS. Hopefully that changes with the new offensive coordinator.

I remembered this conversation and saw this video on ESPN. I thought you would be interested- I know I was.

[video=youtube_share;W5CGZ3mIWbg]

I would think the Omaha signal would just be that the snap count is now live. If it was always on one' date=' wouldn't the defense know that and be able to jump the snap count?[/quote']

Not if the defense didn't know what it meant.

Eli explained what it meant in the Giants old offense.

I would think the Omaha signal would just be that the snap count is now live. If it was always on one, wouldn't the defense know that and be able to jump the snap count?

No defense ever figured out our signals at Fairfield. Just saying :thumb:

No universal terminology in football and this is another example. It's not like Omaha would mean the same thing in ever offense or team. We used Omaha in HS back in the early 90s but we used in on defense to call off a blitz. As far as people picking up on stuff a lot of complaining has happened over what the mics pick up. It also was pretty common for teams to run all their pass plays on two.