Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Newport Central Catholic 58 Cooper 37

Featured Replies

Mister Cee - can you explain your statement about "D1" players?

 

I'm not sure I understand your intention?

  • Replies 30
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mister Cee - can you explain your statement about "D1" players?

 

I'm not sure I understand your intention?

 

McDonald and Schulte

Mister Cee - can you explain your statement about "D1" players?

 

I'm not sure I understand your intention?

It's the D1 combination in the paint that takes this team to a different level, yet NCC seems not to use them. Can't figure it out!

Here is what I am talking about in 719's response to the game.

Agreed. For the most part in the first half Cooper played zone daring NCC to shoot from the outside. Tanner, Zack, & Grant had wide open looks. When you look at their scoring they had bigs: 10, 10, 9, 4, guards: 10, 8, 5, 2. 33 pts from the bigs, 25 from the guards. Looks like a really balanced lineup if you ask me. Plus I'm really sure Coach Dawn knows what he is doing more so than the people on here complaining about the ball not going inside to the "D1" players. Hope the boys dont read this nonsense. Hey boys, "Great team win last night, now go get another one Friday night at CovCath."

 

What you're failing to mention is that there was NO inside attack. Some of the post points came from offensive rebounds (no attack) and a 3 point shot by Weyer (no attack). I only recall two moves on the block (5 feet and in) where the post players actually received the ball in the paint. The rest were moves from 6 feet and out by the post players themselves. The ball is simply being passed around the perimeter for an external shot. I am in no way saying that part of the game shouldn't be utilized. This team has ALL the pieces to make it work. But once again they are playing the same style they always have...pass and shoot. It's hard to watch. They finally have a great duo of post players and they are not using them. You can't tell me Cooper's defense did a better job than what they will see (in the future) and did see down state the past two weeks. How did Schulte and McDonald have a great tournament at KOB and LexCath, yet in Nky they can't get the ball? It's because the team has decided not to try to give them the ball. Right now they know they can win without them. Problem is, when the game is on the line and the team comes calling, it's hard to ask the bigs to step up right away.

 

Great team win, no doubt, but it needs to involve all the players. That win last night did not involve the entire team. I'd like to see this team go all the way and not be another "could've been".

Again, I'm not sure I understand what side of the fence you are on?

 

Do you feel the Bigs are being utilized effectively?

Again, I'm not sure I understand what side of the fence you are on?

 

Do you feel the Bigs are being utilized effectively?

 

Meant for Mister Cee

Agreed. For the most part in the first half Cooper played zone daring NCC to shoot from the outside. Tanner, Zack, & Grant had wide open looks. When you look at their scoring they had bigs: 10, 10, 9, 4, guards: 10, 8, 5, 2. 33 pts from the bigs, 25 from the guards. Looks like a really balanced lineup if you ask me. Plus I'm really sure Coach Dawn knows what he is doing more so than the people on here complaining about the ball not going inside to the "D1" players. Hope the boys dont read this nonsense. Hey boys, "Great team win last night, now go get another one Friday night at CovCath."

 

I think Money is questioning mister cee's comment (as am I) is with the "D1" in quotes?

 

mister cee - are you saying they are not "D1" players? If so, you are sadly mistaken, both are.

 

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that NCC's offense needs to start with their BIG's! If they don't get established early in Friday nights game against CCH, that favors CCH.

Basketball, Boys:

Newport Central Catholic 58, Cooper 37:

The Thoroughbreds (11-3) built a 31-9 halftime lead on their way to improving to 6-0 in 9th Region action.

NewCath once again had balanced scoring. Zach Pangallo, Jake Schulte and Ben Weyer led NewCath with 10 points each.

The Thoroughbreds travel to Covington Catholic (11-0) for a huge 9th Region showdown Friday. Game time is 7:30 p.m. in Park Hills.

 

Fort Thomas Sports: NewCath girls hand Brossart first loss; Highlands girls, NC boys win

Never said or thought that neither were not D1 players. D1 was put in quotes because 719 made reference as to the bigs being D1 players, most of their plays are set up for big men and I'm pretty sure Coach Dawn knows they are D1 players and they are pretty good. Dont need to hear that one kid is D1, one kid is NAIA or D2, no one cares.

Coopers plan the whole first half was to not let NCC bigs beat them. Main reason why the guards had so many good looks. Once they were forced to go man the ball went inside. Pick your poison with this team. My argument with all of this is when you have the balanced scoring like NCC did last night and you're 11-3 and very easily could be 14-0 against arguably the best schedule in the state. Close losses to Ballard, PRP and Lafayette. Something is working! With this team you rarely see a 25pt performance. Good basketball teams are balanced and this team is very balanced. Like i said, teams have to pick their poison- do you try and stop the bigs and watch the guards beat you or do you stop the guards and let the bigs beat you. I hear the players all get along on and off the court. Comraderie is good and it needs to stay that way to be successful. My answer to Money is this- they utilize their bigs right when needed and utilize their perimeter game right also when needed. I'm not a rocket scientist but thats just my opinion!

Never said or thought that neither were not D1 players. D1 was put in quotes because 719 made reference as to the bigs being D1 players, most of their plays are set up for big men and I'm pretty sure Coach Dawn knows they are D1 players and they are pretty good. Dont need to hear that one kid is D1, one kid is NAIA or D2, no one cares.

Coopers plan the whole first half was to not let NCC bigs beat them. Main reason why the guards had so many good looks. Once they were forced to go man the ball went inside. Pick your poison with this team. My argument with all of this is when you have the balanced scoring like NCC did last night and you're 11-3 and very easily could be 14-0 against arguably the best schedule in the state. Close losses to Ballard, PRP and Lafayette. Something is working! With this team you rarely see a 25pt performance. Good basketball teams are balanced and this team is very balanced. Like i said, teams have to pick their poison- do you try and stop the bigs and watch the guards beat you or do you stop the guards and let the bigs beat you. I hear the players all get along on and off the court. Comraderie is good and it needs to stay that way to be successful. My answer to Money is this- they utilize their bigs right when needed and utilize their perimeter game right also when needed. I'm not a rocket scientist but thats just my opinion!

 

I 100% agree this team has many weapons!!

Yes Sir I agree.

Never said or thought that neither were not D1 players. D1 was put in quotes because 719 made reference as to the bigs being D1 players, most of their plays are set up for big men and I'm pretty sure Coach Dawn knows they are D1 players and they are pretty good. Dont need to hear that one kid is D1, one kid is NAIA or D2, no one cares.

Coopers plan the whole first half was to not let NCC bigs beat them. Main reason why the guards had so many good looks. Once they were forced to go man the ball went inside. Pick your poison with this team. My argument with all of this is when you have the balanced scoring like NCC did last night and you're 11-3 and very easily could be 14-0 against arguably the best schedule in the state. Close losses to Ballard, PRP and Lafayette. Something is working! With this team you rarely see a 25pt performance. Good basketball teams are balanced and this team is very balanced. Like i said, teams have to pick their poison- do you try and stop the bigs and watch the guards beat you or do you stop the guards and let the bigs beat you. I hear the players all get along on and off the court. Comraderie is good and it needs to stay that way to be successful. My answer to Money is this- they utilize their bigs right when needed and utilize their perimeter game right also when needed. I'm not a rocket scientist but thats just my opinion!

Never said or thought that neither were not D1 players. D1 was put in quotes because 719 made reference as to the bigs being D1 players, most of their plays are set up for big men and I'm pretty sure Coach Dawn knows they are D1 players and they are pretty good. Dont need to hear that one kid is D1, one kid is NAIA or D2, no one cares.

Coopers plan the whole first half was to not let NCC bigs beat them. Main reason why the guards had so many good looks. Once they were forced to go man the ball went inside. Pick your poison with this team. My argument with all of this is when you have the balanced scoring like NCC did last night and you're 11-3 and very easily could be 14-0 against arguably the best schedule in the state. Close losses to Ballard, PRP and Lafayette. Something is working! With this team you rarely see a 25pt performance. Good basketball teams are balanced and this team is very balanced. Like i said, teams have to pick their poison- do you try and stop the bigs and watch the guards beat you or do you stop the guards and let the bigs beat you. I hear the players all get along on and off the court. Comraderie is good and it needs to stay that way to be successful. My answer to Money is this- they utilize their bigs right when needed and utilize their perimeter game right also when needed. I'm not a rocket scientist but thats just my opinion!

 

So what you're telling teams is pack it in and let NewCath shoot all they want? If they hit, they win, if they don't, you win? So if you're NewCath just play into their hands. Let them call the shots? IF you're the better team, you call the shots. I'm not letting the other team dictate how I play. If I'm NewCath I know I have the better team and I'm going with my bread and butter. Establish an inside game (higher percentage shot), go inside out, and outside. Just don't fire away. Or who wouldn't just pack it in? My point is that NewCath didn't even TRY to get the ball in the paint last night. It wouldn't surprise me if they attempted more 3 point shots than 2 point shots last night.

 

And I wasn't in any way comparing abilities amongst players - D1 vs D2 vs NAIA. I was merely stating a fact that NewCath has great talent in not one, but two post players and they are not using them. I would hate for a guard oriented program see it go to waste. Not only do the guards need McDonald and Schulte, they need the guards. Having two of the best in the state in one program may never come along again. Use them! You totally misinterpreted the statement.

31-9 at the half and a 58-37 win over a team that had won 5 of the last 6 I believe..... and the complaining is rampant. I get your points but if you step back it is kind of funny.:ohbrother:

  • Author

Not complaining, just giving our opinions.

What you're failing to mention is that there was NO inside attack. Some of the post points came from offensive rebounds (no attack) and a 3 point shot by Weyer (no attack). I only recall two moves on the block (5 feet and in) where the post players actually received the ball in the paint. The rest were moves from 6 feet and out by the post players themselves. The ball is simply being passed around the perimeter for an external shot. I am in no way saying that part of the game shouldn't be utilized. This team has ALL the pieces to make it work. But once again they are playing the same style they always have...pass and shoot. It's hard to watch. They finally have a great duo of post players and they are not using them. You can't tell me Cooper's defense did a better job than what they will see (in the future) and did see down state the past two weeks. How did Schulte and McDonald have a great tournament at KOB and LexCath, yet in Nky they can't get the ball? It's because the team has decided not to try to give them the ball. Right now they know they can win without them. Problem is, when the game is on the line and the team comes calling, it's hard to ask the bigs to step up right away.

 

Great team win, no doubt, but it needs to involve all the players. That win last night did not involve the entire team. I'd like to see this team go all the way and not be another "could've been".

Agree completely. They are NOT going to beat the really good teams if Schulte/McDonald only score 19 points between them. And most of those points came off of fastbreaks or offensive rebounds.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.