Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

If Chuck Smith applies to Highlands.......

Featured Replies

Always a possibility but if you'll notice, I don't think anyone from HHS is clamoring for Smith to be hired. In the absence of that I don't think there will be a large outcry about a missed opportunity that few in the community are calling for anyway. It would be different if Smith's name were being shouted from within the community and the hire of BW went on anyway. BW has that kind of respect within the community and most expect the school to honor his loyalty. Obviously, there is really no indication that Chuck Smith is even interested in the job so we're all just having fun at this point.

 

I don't think Smith has any interest in the job. My point was that IF Brian Weinrich struggles will the "Boo Birds" come out of the woodwork and criticize his hiring at this point? I can see this entire process being scrutinized the first season that HHS doesn't win the state title under Weinrich.

  • Replies 81
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think Smith has any interest in the job. My point was that IF Brian Weinrich struggles will the "Boo Birds" come out of the woodwork and criticize his hiring at this point? I can see this entire process being scrutinized the first season that HHS doesn't win the state title under Weinrich.

 

Sure, some will. I think most will give him a chance as the majority know the challenges he'll face following Dale. Despite what many think, most HHS fans realize that what's happened the past 7 years is very rare, even unprecedented.

  • Author
Why wouldn't any program want to use a proven system that works? They wouldn't if they already have a proven system that is far superior. I was trying to be tactful, but that's the honest truth.

 

I don't know whether he would try to change the system, but it stands to reason that any new coach is going to bring his own ideas and his own ways to his team. That's his right as head coach. But like I said, if it ain't broke, no need to fix it.

 

And no, if he takes what we have here and "Boyles" it away, that would be like trying to reinvent the wheel -- maybe it works and maybe it crashes. But hiring from within maintains the continuity of not just a system, but a culture that has produced undeniable success. If you promote someone who has literally grown up immersed in that system and culture, it seems much more likely that the train will just keep on chugging down the tracks.

 

Hiring from within. See Chris Pardue. The head coach in waiting who took over at Boyle after Chuck Smith.

  • Author
Sure, some will. I think most will give him a chance as the majority know the challenges he'll face following Dale. Despite what many think, most HHS fans realize that what's happened the past 7 years is very rare, even unprecedented.

 

And sometimes in those rare, unprecedented runs people become even more one sided thinking that the only way to succeed is to change nothing. There is more than one way to succeed and sometimes even hiring from within isn't a sure fire way to maintain success.

 

 

See: Chris Pardue(Chuck Smith's hired from within successor)

  • Author
I don't think Smith has any interest in the job. My point was that IF Brian Weinrich struggles will the "Boo Birds" come out of the woodwork and criticize his hiring at this point? I can see this entire process being scrutinized the first season that HHS doesn't win the state title under Weinrich.

 

It will. Ask Chris Pardue.

I'm still not seeing or hearing anything that says it was Smith's coaching and system and not the great run of athletes. Right place right time is what it sounds like. Left when the athlete run was over.

 

SEC position coach, not head coach.

I think a lot of people remember that game back in Ft. Thomas. Search the old thread here on BGP. Might go a long way in answering the question about Chuck being a viable candidate.

 

Gotcha. Were there some hard feelings during the Highlands-Boyle County rivalry?

Why wouldn't any program want to use a proven system that works? They wouldn't if they already have a proven system that is far superior. I was trying to be tactful, but that's the honest truth.

 

I don't know whether he would try to change the system, but it stands to reason that any new coach is going to bring his own ideas and his own ways to his team. That's his right as head coach. But like I said, if it ain't broke, no need to fix it.

 

And no, if he takes what we have here and "Boyles" it away, that would be like trying to reinvent the wheel -- maybe it works and maybe it crashes. But hiring from within maintains the continuity of not just a system, but a culture that has produced undeniable success. If you promote someone who has literally grown up immersed in that system and culture, it seems much more likely that the train will just keep on chugging down the tracks.

 

Fair counter to most of the points I was trying to make about adapting pieces of someone else's system into your own. I was honestly kind of waiting on this one.

 

I will say that I don't think Highlands lets any coach come in and completely re-invent the wheel. They might put their own touches on what Highlands does, but Highlands most likely wants a Highlands guy.

 

The thing I've said all along and that I'd be extremely worried about if I were a Highlands fan is that you can't follow a legend. Fair or unfair, the next coach is going to be compared to Mueller. That's why I think Chuck Smith, whose state titles, SEC resume, and experience dealing with the criticism that comes with being the head honcho, is worth taking a hard look at.

I think in this situation if I was hiring, BW already has the respect of the players and from the look of many post the suport of the community. He has already proven he can win (titles and games) he wasn't just a regular assistant head coach I have been told over the last few years He and Dale split the team but Dale did divide the players up. He also grew up and is a teacher there. After looking at these things to me it would be more of a risk to hire Smith. I am not taking anything away from Smith he is awsome, I just feel this would be a situation a talented person might get set up to fail.

 

Gotcha. Didn't necessarily realize that he was so much of a "coach in waiting" so to speak. He is getting them at a good time since they didn't win state this year. Imagine the posts on here if the '13-14 class had beaten Collins to win state this year, then the new guy comes in and gets upset by them the next year instead.

I'm still not seeing or hearing anything that says it was Smith's coaching and system and not the great run of athletes. Right place right time is what it sounds like. Left when the athlete run was over.

 

SEC position coach, not head coach.

 

To the first segment of your post:

What convinces you that there's no evidence that it wasn't Smith's coaching and system (not a great run of athletes)? I guess what I'm trying to say is, why do you believe that instead of what most other people do (that Smith is a great coach).

 

I see a school that didn't win much before he came, and hasn't really been the same since (two state titles in almost a decade, but none were as convincing as the performances when Smith won them).

 

 

Here are the results:

French Era:

2013: Loss to Mercer County (2nd Round)

2011 & 2012: Losses to Lexington Catholic (3rd Round/Quarterfinals);

2010: State title for Larry French & Lamar Dawson is Mr. Football;

2009: Wins State

2008: Loss to Bell County (4th Round/Semifinals)

 

Pardue Era:

2007: Loss to Lexington Catholic (2nd Round)

2006: Loss to Southwestern (2nd Round)

2005: Loss to Bullitt East (2nd Round)

 

Notice that Pardue is the "guy who followed the legend". Notice that French came in when the team hadn't been out of the 2nd round in three years and turned things around. His results have been trailing off in the half of his time there, but we're looking at 3 years of a 6 year sample size, so maybe there's some explanation for that variation.

 

You make two points that I think are somewhat exclusive of one another. The first is that nothing evidences that it was Smith's coaching or system that was responsible for the success. The second is that there was a great run of athletes and that he bailed on the program when the cupboard was running bare.

 

To the first of your points:

If it wasn't Smith's coaching, why did we see a lack of success before he was there and a dip in the program once he left. If it was nothing to do with his ability, how did he land the UK gig as a LB coach?

 

To the second of your points:

If it were merely a "great run of athletes... & left when the athlete run was over" comments then how do you explain the two titles while Lamar Dawson was there?

 

 

 

To the bold:

How many high school coaches in the state can say that though? Of the ones that can say they either played or coached in a place like the SEC, how many are going to be available for hire?

 

I mean, you have to admit, saying you were "just a position coach in the SEC" is pretty impressive.

Edited by JokersWild24

Gotcha. Didn't necessarily realize that he was so much of a "coach in waiting" so to speak. He is getting them at a good time since they didn't win state this year. Imagine the posts on here if the '13-14 class had beaten Collins to win state this year, then the new guy comes in and gets upset by them the next year instead.

 

Yea it would be heated. Funny though, last year Brian was the head coach at the game b/c Dale had to miss it, Brian beat them 47-0. I am not saying anything negative against Dale just stating what happened.

Yea it would be heated. Funny though, last year Brian was the head coach at the game b/c Dale had to miss it, Brian beat them 47-0. I am not saying anything negative against Dale just stating what happened.

 

No that's fair, and I understand that completely. Facts are facts.

  • Author
I'm still not seeing or hearing anything that says it was Smith's coaching and system and not the great run of athletes. Right place right time is what it sounds like. Left when the athlete run was over.

 

SEC position coach, not head coach.

 

Left when his son graduated.

 

From what I keep hearing seems like Dale may be doing what you claim Chuck to have done. BGP is going to be interesting if Highlands doesn't win state under BW.

  • Author
Yea it would be heated. Funny though, last year Brian was the head coach at the game b/c Dale had to miss it, Brian beat them 47-0. I am not saying anything negative against Dale just stating what happened.

 

Or is it what NamecipS said? Right place, right time?

Or is it what NamecipS said? Right place, right time?

 

Could Be.

But it is hard to see how a year before you beat pretty much the same team (most of Collins was juniors) by 47 and 12 months later loose to them. just think of the point swing in those two games.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.