District Match-ups in the 9th Region:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect Bellevue to give Highlands a good game in the 1st round matchup...playing on their home floor and they are playing much better as of late. Newport vs. NCC will be the best game of the tourney though.... whoever makes it out of this will be the sleeper in the region. Dayton should schedule Cov Latin as many times as they can....I'm sorry but they just cannot get that program turned around. HHS will prevail as District champs and hopefully not draw Holmes or CovCath in 1st round like last year.

Have you watched or seen any of Dayton's recent games? Their last 5 games they have been much better. Did they win? no, but much better and definately getting back on the right track. Before this year the program was a mess, and it isn't easy to right the ship just like that. The coaches are doing a good job down there of changing the attitudes and gettting competitive again. Is a loss a loss? yes, but the past few games they have lost by 4 to Lloyd in OT, Calvary by 2 on free throws with 4.9 seconds left and a 20 something point 4th from Baker, lost to Ludlow by about 15, and lost to Bellevue by about 15 after it being a 5-9 point game the whole game(the final margin was from when they started to play full court man and got beat a couple times and started to foul)... All quite respectable losses considering that the past couple years Dayton has been losing to those same teams by 25, 30 and 50... Talk to any fans of teams mentioned that saw those games and I'm sure they will tell you the program is turing around. It takes a while to build something up when it had taken such a bad fall, so making that statement is hardly fair to all the people that are turning that program around...

Have you watched or seen any of Dayton's recent games? Their last 5 games they have been much better. Did they win? no, but much better and definately getting back on the right track. Before this year the program was a mess, and it isn't easy to right the ship just like that. The coaches are doing a good job down there of changing the attitudes and gettting competitive again. Is a loss a loss? yes, but the past few games they have lost by 4 to Lloyd in OT, Calvary by 2 on free throws with 4.9 seconds left and a 20 something point 4th from Baker, lost to Ludlow by about 15, and lost to Bellevue by about 15 after it being a 5-9 point game the whole game(the final margin was from when they started to play full court man and got beat a couple times and started to foul)... All quite respectable losses considering that the past couple years Dayton has been losing to those same teams by 25, 30 and 50... Talk to any fans of teams mentioned that saw those games and I'm sure they will tell you the program is turing around. It takes a while to build something up when it had taken such a bad fall, so making that statement is hardly fair to all the people that are turning that program around...

How many different Head Coaches has Dayton had in the last 10 years?

4... why... Should I list them?

Curiosity... I just wanted to know is that a bit of a stepping stone program for coaches to get to a more traditional basketball school or is it veteran coaches who are trying to get things right in Dayton?

Curiosity... I just wanted to know is that a bit of a stepping stone program for coaches to get to a more traditional basketball school or is it veteran coaches who are trying to get things right in Dayton?

The past 4 coaches...

Stan Steidel- Coached from 1976-1999 amassing between 3-4 hundred W's over that time. Was also AD and is in the AD hall of fame and was very influentual in creating the All A Classic, which actually was played at Dayton for it's first couple years i beleive. Last I heard he was doing an administrative job in the Covington School System and was still partially involved with the KHSAA(maybe still with the All A???)

Barret Bradshaw- Took over after Steidel, was Dayton's freshmen coach before that. Had a couple year with about 5 or 6 wins.... maybe 7 or 8 once. Left the school for Campbell County and coaches their freshmen the last I heard.

Jay Kroft- Came to Dayton from Indiana never really got what he wanted out of the players. He came from a college system and it seemed like that the way he ran things just didn't work at such a small school. Very strict in the way players acted, and helped cut down Dayton's technicals and kind of make the image of the team better with officials etc. After last season he left, citing reasons that he and his family still lived in Indiana as reason. He and the administration never quite got along once he got there either, with them not happy about the way he did some things (no freshmen team for the last 2 years because he couldn't draw enough players, etc.)

Tom Dilts- Current coach- Dayton alumni and has been in the Dayton program since 1980 working as the middle school coach under his former coach Steidel. 2 years ago he was promoted to J.V. coach and amassed a record of 24-15 (roughly) over the two years. Many current players and parents called for him as soon as Kroft left the program because he has been so involved with the kids in Dayton, running their youth league program, formerly coaching the M.S. and then the J.V. Coach. He has also helped get Dayton teams into summer leagues in various locations. I have heard that after next year Coach Dilts will have been involved with this years juniors/sophmores from they time they were in the third grade up to their senior/junior years(this may involve that his son is a current player in one of those classes I beleive). Once the administration had settled the rest of the positions coach Dilts was hired among other applicants.

So not quite a stepping stone. Somewhere that needs to be built up and stayed with for a while I imagine before you can move to bigger and better things... Looks like they have found someone in it for the long haul by all prior indications...

The past 4 coaches...

Stan Steidel- Coached from 1976-1999 amassing between 3-4 hundred W's over that time. Was also AD and is in the AD hall of fame and was very influentual in creating the All A Classic, which actually was played at Dayton for it's first couple years i beleive. Last I heard he was doing an administrative job in the Covington School System and was still partially involved with the KHSAA(maybe still with the All A???)

Barret Bradshaw- Took over after Steidel, was Dayton's freshmen coach before that. Had a couple year with about 5 or 6 wins.... maybe 7 or 8 once. Left the school for Campbell County and coaches their freshmen the last I heard.

Jay Kroft- Came to Dayton from Indiana never really got what he wanted out of the players. He came from a college system and it seemed like that the way he ran things just didn't work at such a small school. Very strict in the way players acted, and helped cut down Dayton's technicals and kind of make the image of the team better with officials etc. After last season he left, citing reasons that he and his family still lived in Indiana as reason. He and the administration never quite got along once he got there either, with them not happy about the way he did some things (no freshmen team for the last 2 years because he couldn't draw enough players, etc.)

Tom Dilts- Current coach- Dayton alumni and has been in the Dayton program since 1980 working as the middle school coach under his former coach Steidel. 2 years ago he was promoted to J.V. coach and amassed a record of 24-15 (roughly) over the two years. Many current players and parents called for him as soon as Kroft left the program because he has been so involved with the kids in Dayton, running their youth league program, formerly coaching the M.S. and then the J.V. Coach. He has also helped get Dayton teams into summer leagues in various locations. I have heard that after next year Coach Dilts will have been involved with this years juniors/sophmores from they time they were in the third grade up to their senior/junior years(this may involve that his son is a current player in one of those classes I beleive). Once the administration had settled the rest of the positions coach Dilts was hired among other applicants.

So not quite a stepping stone. Somewhere that needs to be built up and stayed with for a while I imagine before you can move to bigger and better things... Looks like they have found someone in it for the long haul by all prior indications...

I greatly appreciate the information. :thumb: I know that they have had some problems, but I was not sure what the siutation was. It sounds like Coach Dilts maybe able to get the program on the right track. Good for them!! I like to see the underdogs achieve every once in a while.

No actually... Holmes will have to fight their way out of district and be in a dogfight in the regional after their team chemistry problems...

Right. At this point there's no guarantee that they'll even be playing at regionals. Doesn't mean I'm not rooting for them though. I still think they're the favorite.