November 18, 201312 yr There is no way you can convince me they get less run in NKY than Miami. Just no way. Where is most the radio, TV, and print news coming from? Cincy.
November 18, 201312 yr Let's say the basketball program does have success, which I'm skeptical of. I think the Woman's program will probably be the most successful. But what about all the other sports and the move to D1 and the added cost. NKU went through a period with leadership where they just to grow at a faster pace than their pocket book and resources. What elite level athlete is going to attend NKU over UK,U of L, OSU, Miami, Dayton, Cincy, Xavier or Indiana. In an area that already lacks a lot of D1 basketball talent. Again I'm an alumni of NKU so I just want whats best. I just think this was a poorly thought out a move.
November 18, 201312 yr Go to NCAA.org. Does it look like I wasn't sure of the numbers? Really? Might want to check yours. Go check the Atlantic Sun or make sure you have the right school year. Because Nku's basketball guide confirms my numbers. 3,554 average home attendance to be exact. Edited November 18, 201312 yr by blueandgold
November 18, 201312 yr I know, so am I. You can't convince me they get less coverage than Miami. Miami that has a football team, a Top 20 hockey program, and a better basketball team in a better league? I won't try to convince you, but it isn't close. NKU is zero factor from March to November and deep down the food chain during those months. No full market radio coverage, no TV agreement. Miami has a portion of their games on FS Ohio since Xavier left them and several more MAC games on FS Ohio. It is apples and green beans.
November 19, 201312 yr Where did you get your stats...? I'm 100% positive that NKU led the Atlantic Sun in home attendance with around 3,300-3,500 attendees a game on average. Might want to check some of the stats. Here is the link to the 2012-13 Men's Baketball Attendance. NKU is on page 6, is listed as D-II, and is obviously a year older. Ironically, your number is correct, but in only 9 games. Therefore, the total tickets sold number is still pretty close. To be honest, I think you're getting mired in this number and missing the big picture. Either way, they aren't set up to win. http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/2013/2013%2007%20Attendance%20section%2010-18.pdf
November 19, 201312 yr Author A lot of D1 schools lose a ton of money on athletics and those with meager football programs are the leaders of the pack. NKU was losing money in D2 and they will lose money in D1.
November 19, 201312 yr ....... In 16 home games in 2012-13, NKU averaged 1,796 attendees (or a total of 28,743). Let's say the average ticket price was $25: $718,575 in gross ticket revenue. Let's say they played 6 buy games at an average of $65,000 per: $390,000 in gross basketball revenue. They will certainly pick up some ancillary revenues from in-arena sponsors, ball-park (being generous): $250,000. That is $1,358,575. Assume Bezold and his staff make around $300,000 combined, so that leaves them $1,058,575. So from that comes scholarships, travel, merchandise, recruiting expenses, etc. By the way, additionally, understand that EVERY other sport at NKU is deep in arrears, so that small amount of revenue also has to get spread across their other sports. Wright State is the most subsidized public institution in Ohio at 82% (means school has to give them 82% of their athletic budget to balance it out). Wright State is very similar to NKU in a number of ways, including having a building that also wants to be an entertainment venue. That has to be a scary proposition to the folks at NKU. Oh by the way, Wright State averages 3,903 for their home games. Losing proposition. While I am excited as an alum to say NKU is D1 I've said from the very beginning that it's a losing proposition for the entire NKU community from a financial standpoint. There just simply isn't going to be enough interest to sell 5,000 tickets per night for quite a while. You've certainly laid out a strong argument.
November 19, 201312 yr What they get in Northern KY is immaterial. The media is based in the Cincinnati market, hence, that is what matters. I'm not talking about 4 drunk dudes chatting at Dickmann's, I'm talking about coverage from the media that matters. Lawnboy was at Dickman's?
November 19, 201312 yr Where did you get your stats...? I'm 100% positive that NKU led the Atlantic Sun in home attendance with around 3,300-3,500 attendees a game on average. Might want to check some of the stats. 1600 the other night.
November 19, 201312 yr Go check the Atlantic Sun or make sure you have the right school year. Because Nku's basketball guide confirms my numbers. 3,554 average home attendance to be exact. I'd be curious how many of those were at full price vs student tickets.
November 19, 201312 yr Here is the link to the 2012-13 Men's Baketball Attendance. NKU is on page 6, is listed as D-II, and is obviously a year older. Ironically, your number is correct, but in only 9 games. Therefore, the total tickets sold number is still pretty close. To be honest, I think you're getting mired in this number and missing the big picture. Either way, they aren't set up to win. http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/2013/2013%2007%20Attendance%20section%2010-18.pdf Yeah, I see what you're saying. Also to somewhat enforce what you're trying to say; also have to take into account that NKU students get in all games for free with their student ID/AllCard. So that takes away a decent amount of the attendance that NKU would make some money based on admission from.
November 19, 201312 yr Record numbers in regards to applications to the school. Just want to mention that the move to D-1 to affect the school in more ways than just Athletics. I'll be there again tonight.
November 19, 201312 yr Record numbers in regards to applications to the school. Just want to mention that the move to D-1 to affect the school in more ways than just Athletics. That is a great point MJ, and you're 100% correct, the thought process is a move to DI would positively impact enrollment and the ability to recruit outside of their foot-print. What other institutions have found (again, Wright State as an example) is that initially there is a spike as people become familiar with it for the first time, but without extraordinary success (FGCU seeing a huge spike last year, George Mason a few years ago), it levels off. I'd also be curious to know the percentage of occupancy in the dorms on campus. Is there a lot of space available, or would a spike in future classes result in the need to build new residence halls? They have pumped so much money into facilities and buildings, I'd be interested to know how deeply they've driven themselves into debt (ala UC with Varsity Village from the Goin Administration).
November 19, 201312 yr That is a great point MJ, and you're 100% correct, the thought process is a move to DI would positively impact enrollment and the ability to recruit outside of their foot-print. What other institutions have found (again, Wright State as an example) is that initially there is a spike as people become familiar with it for the first time, but without extraordinary success (FGCU seeing a huge spike last year, George Mason a few years ago), it levels off. I'd also be curious to know the percentage of occupancy in the dorms on campus. Is there a lot of space available, or would a spike in future classes result in the need to build new residence halls? They have pumped so much money into facilities and buildings, I'd be interested to know how deeply they've driven themselves into debt (ala UC with Varsity Village from the Goin Administration). I'm pretty sure they have plenty of room for new halls if necessary.
November 19, 201312 yr I'm pretty sure they have plenty of room for new halls if necessary. No, I know they have space for new halls, but is there space in current halls, or, can they take on more debt to build new ones.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.