October 14, 201312 yr Who's refusing to acknowledge that? What are you talking about? This is 1000% true on here. If Dalton doesn't complete 75% of his passes, throw for 350+ yards, throw 3+ TDs, and have 0 turnovers, a large portion of BGP will crucify him. He played well yesterday. If you can't see that, or refuse to acknowledge it, you're simply blinded by your hatred for him. This is what I'm talking about. You say if you can't see he playeed well or refuse to asknowledge it you're simply blinded by your hatred for him. Then you say I am one you are talking about. After the fact that I acknowledged he didn't play horrible and had a decent game but I was openminded enough to point out some things he needs to improve on and struggles with even yesterday and you choose to ignore all of that. You basically did what you preached about, you jumped to conlclusions without reading or getting the facts straight simply because you don't like my stance on Dalton. That is what I'm talking about.
October 14, 201312 yr This is what I'm talking about. You say if you can't see he playeed well or refuse to asknowledge it you're simply blinded by your hatred for him. Then you say I am one you are talking about. After the fact that I acknowledged he didn't play horrible and had a decent game but I was openminded enough to point out some things he needs to improve on and struggles with even yesterday and you choose to ignore all of that. You basically did what you preached about, you jumped to conlclusions without reading or getting the facts straight simply because you don't like my stance on Dalton. That is what I'm talking about. That's not hypocritical. Saying someone didn't play horrible, is not even in the ballpark of saying they played well, which is what Dalton did.
October 14, 201312 yr Again, you're adding words to my posts. I said, would you rather he throw to a guy that's 15 yards down field, with no chance of getting YAC (so clearly not wide-open), or to a guy 5 yards downfield with daylight in front? If there's a guy 15 yards downfield wide-open, clearly that's the best option, but that isn't even close to what I said. Keep trying though. Show me where I ever said I'd rather him throw to a guy not open 15 yards down field than to a guy wide open 5 yards downfield. Never said it, it's you jumping to conclusions. Now what I did say is I'd rather him look off his primary receiver more if his primary is covered insteadd of doing what he USUALLY does and that is chuck it to the covered man no matter what or panic and take a sack.
October 14, 201312 yr That's not hypocritical. Saying someone didn't play horrible, is not even in the ballpark of saying they played well, which is what Dalton did. So saying someone played decent equates to playing horrible in your book? Because that is what I said.
October 14, 201312 yr Show me where I ever said I'd rather him throw to a guy not open 15 yards down field than to a guy wide open 5 yards downfield. Never said it, it's you jumping to conclusions. Now what I did say is I'd rather him look off his primary receiver more if his primary is covered insteadd of doing what he USUALLY does and that is chuck it to the covered man no matter what or panic and take a sack. Actually you said, if the receiver is open, you'd rather he throw it downfield than the 5 yard short passes. Personally, I'd like him to throw it where his target has the best chance of making a big play....Yesterday, that was the short drop off passes.
October 14, 201312 yr Here is the thing that is troubling to me with Dalton. He isn't one that can improvise in any way. If his primary receiveer is covered Dalton usually does 1 of 2 things, 1. throws it to him anyway or 2 panics and takes a sack. He isn't one that I will ever feel comfortable with to come from behind because he just doesn't have that make up. I don't think Gruden or Marvin have that trust in him either. If you notice when the Bengals have the lead late in games they never trust him it seems to throw the ball to try and extend the lead because they are afraid he will turn it over so they usually run the ball hopiing to get first downs on the ground. If Dalton has to throw down field over 10 yards you have to hold your nbreath because usually he makkes the throw without looking at the defense, he just chucks it. Maybe that is his biggest problemm, he doesn't know how to read defenses pre-snap. That's just it, he is safe...he throws to his primary receiver wether he is covered or not 99.9% of the time. That is Dalton, he is safe which means he isn't one that will be known for come from behind wins because it just isn't in his makeup. You say he only made 1 bad throw and that was the int. If you watrched the game you will also see aat the beginning of the game he made 3 throws right into the defenders that were dropped or knockeed down, people seem to forget about those throws. Dalton tends to throw into covereage a little too many times and that is because he doesn't look off his receiver a lot. Being safe isnt a bad thing if you are n a team that has great running game and can go up several scoores on a team, but being safe (majority of his throws short, safe throws) isn't going to get a lot of come from behind wins. I don't think I ever said he played poorly yesterday. what I did say is he played safe. Big difference. He didn't play taking risks to try and win the game in regulation or ice the game when we had a lead. He played safe. That is exactly right. Dalton only had a few completions downfield and they were basically the TD's which is good. But the majority of his throws were 5 yard passes or dump passes etc. where the receiiver got a ton of yards after the catch. I'll give him some credit for yesterday's performance, but he lacks the improv skills - if the first read isn't there, it gets pretty scary with him . That's all I'm saying. As far as the comment about throwing it 10 yards down field instead of the short pass? Well yes if the receiver is open! That's my point, he doesn't tend to look elsewhere and I'd like him too. These are my posts in this thread when talking about Dalton and the game yesterday. I don't see one post saying he was horrible, or even bad yesterday. I talk about the things he needs to improve on, never one post saying he played bad yesterday UK, so not really sure where you came to the conclusion that no matter what he does I will only say he is horrible.
October 14, 201312 yr ^Because he played a good game yesterday, and as is evident by all your posts you just quoted, all you can do is harp on the one or two negatives....
October 14, 201312 yr We're clearly not going to agree on this, so I'm bowing out. I just hope Dalton can play like he did yesterday the rest of the season. If he does that, they'll be playing at home in the postseason.
October 14, 201312 yr Actually you said, if the receiver is open, you'd rather he throw it downfield than the 5 yard short passes. Personally, I'd like him to throw it where his target has the best chance of making a big play....Yesterday, that was the short drop off passes. Yes I'd much rather whoever the QB is to throw to a guy who is wide open 15 yards down the field than to throw to a guy 5 yards down field especially when you want a first down. There is no garuntee that the guy 5 yards downfield will get 15 yards, and if you think it was yesterdaay when the throw went to Gio then you didn't see the play. gio made some sick moves to get by the tacklers to score, there is no way anyone watching knew he'd do that on that play.
October 14, 201312 yr We're clearly not going to agree on this, so I'm bowing out. I just hope Dalton can play like he did yesterday the rest of the season. If he does that, they'll be playing at home in the postseason. If that is the case, I just hope the Bengals are leading in all the playoff games by 2 scores at least come crunch time because if they are down I'm not holding my breath that Dalton can lead the team to a come from behind win..
October 14, 201312 yr ^Because he played a good game yesterday, and as is evident by all your posts you just quoted, all you can do is harp on the one or two negatives.... Not harping on the negatives at all. I'm talking about things I hope he improves on. For you to think he is perfect in all he does right now shows true bias.
October 14, 201312 yr Not harping on the negatives at all. I'm talking about things I hope he improves on. For you to think he is perfect in all he does right now shows true bias. I've never once said he is even an above-average QB. I've always said he's serviceable, and that's all they need him to be. He simply needs to manage games. And, in all honesty, I could care less what his numbers are. If they win, I don't care if he's got a QBR of 1.1 or 99.9, I'm not going to criticize his play, because all that matters is they win. If they lose and he's a part of why, like the Cleveland game, I'll criticize, like I did in that thread. Criticizing and complaining about him when they win makes zero sense to me. None. And now I really am out of this thread for good.
October 14, 201312 yr I've never once said he is even an above-average QB. I've always said he's serviceable, and that's all they need him to be. He simply needs to manage games. And, in all honesty, I could care less what his numbers are. If they win, I don't care if he's got a QBR of 1.1 or 99.9, I'm not going to criticize his play, because all that matters is they win. If they lose and he's a part of why, like the Cleveland game, I'll criticize, like I did in that thread. Criticizing and complaining about him when they win makes zero sense to me. None. And now I really am out of this thread for good. Fair enough. I just think differenlty I guess. I always feel if there is room to improve then I'd hope for improvement. If somoene only criticizes if the team loses and praises with a win no matter how he plays is kind of defeating the purpose to improve.
October 14, 201312 yr There will always be room for improvement. Winning on the road in the NFL is not easy. Good win for the Bengals
October 14, 201312 yr There will always be room for improvement. Winning on the road in the NFL is not easy. Good win for the Bengals Amen. They always say the formula for making it to the playoffs is winning your home games and hope to go .500 on the road.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.