Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Enquirer Bias?

Featured Replies

Eric Deters posted the below on Facebook and its hard not to agree with him. Dr. Durrani has butchered numerous people around the Tri-State and it should be a huge story but instead of touching anything about Durrani the Enquirer is focusing on Sarah Jones. Really? I agree with Eric, you can cover Sarah, you can cover Eric, but to cover those two and not touch anything on Durrani???

 

Sarah Jones Engagement News?

Allow me to provide perspective on the media. The Enquirer has not done one story on Dr. Durrani despite over 100 lawsuits, losing his privileges at West Chester and my repeatedly providing them information. Sarah’s engagement is news I suppose. No lives are affected by it. Lives are still being destroyed by Durrani at Journey Lite outpatient facility. Also, Dr. Durrani being sued over 100 times and losing his privileges at West Chester is not covered, but my 60 day suspension Order was covered. News I suppose. But, when I obtained a stay and stopping of the suspension, no news covered it. The editorial news decisions are skewered. Cover Sarah Jones’ engagement. Fine. Cover me. Fine. But don’t cover Dr. Durrani?

  • Replies 52
  • Views 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get it. The Enquirer is out to sell papers. Deters is high profile. Sarah Jones' case is national news. It's all over Twitter.

 

Could they also mention the other doctor? Sure. But it's the other two stories that people are going to read first.

  • Author
I get it. The Enquirer is out to sell papers. Deters is high profile. Sarah Jones' case is national news. It's all over Twitter.

 

Could they also mention the other doctor? Sure. But it's the other two stories that people are going to read first.

 

A little perspective Clyde, this case has huge reaching international implications:

 

CINCINNATI (CN) - A spinal surgeon did "criminal ... medically unnecessary, experimental spine surgeries" on 88 patients without informed consent, to sell Infuse Bone Graft for Medtronic, which paid him as a consultant, the 88 claim in court.

 

The 88 patients, three of them minors, sued Dr. Abubakar Atiq Durrani, the Center for Advanced Spine Technologies, West Chester Medical Center, UC Health Inc., Medtronic Sofamor Danek, and Children's Medical Center PSC, in Federal Court.

 

Many of the plaintiffs say they suffer unremitting pain from the unnecessary surgery.

 

Their attorney has filed 15 other complaints this calendar year against Durrani and the Center for Advanced Spine Technologies (CAST), according to the Courthouse News database.

 

"Unnecessary procedures are criminal acts," the new complaint states. "Defendants Durrani, CAST, West Chester, UC Health and Children's performed medically unnecessary, experimental spines surgeries on plaintiffs using falsely and improperly marketed Medtronic medical devices and drugs."

 

Durrani is a member of CAST, and "has a business relationship with Medtronics, the maker of BMP-2," a Medtronic drug, according to the complaint.

 

It adds: "Since over one hundred patients have contacted counsel and nearly one hundred have claims, it is believed there are hundreds and hundreds more who have suffered at the hands of Dr. Durrani."

 

The complaint adds: "According to the FDA and independent scientists and physicians, BMP-2 has been causally associated with ectopic bone growth, cancer, spinal stenosis, pain, retrograde ejaculation, throat and breathing constriction, swelling, and other complications.

 

Courthouse News Service

A little perspective Clyde, this case has huge reaching international implications:

 

CINCINNATI (CN) - A spinal surgeon did "criminal ... medically unnecessary, experimental spine surgeries" on 88 patients without informed consent, to sell Infuse Bone Graft for Medtronic, which paid him as a consultant, the 88 claim in court.

 

The 88 patients, three of them minors, sued Dr. Abubakar Atiq Durrani, the Center for Advanced Spine Technologies, West Chester Medical Center, UC Health Inc., Medtronic Sofamor Danek, and Children's Medical Center PSC, in Federal Court.

 

Many of the plaintiffs say they suffer unremitting pain from the unnecessary surgery.

 

Their attorney has filed 15 other complaints this calendar year against Durrani and the Center for Advanced Spine Technologies (CAST), according to the Courthouse News database.

 

"Unnecessary procedures are criminal acts," the new complaint states. "Defendants Durrani, CAST, West Chester, UC Health and Children's performed medically unnecessary, experimental spines surgeries on plaintiffs using falsely and improperly marketed Medtronic medical devices and drugs."

 

Durrani is a member of CAST, and "has a business relationship with Medtronics, the maker of BMP-2," a Medtronic drug, according to the complaint.

 

It adds: "Since over one hundred patients have contacted counsel and nearly one hundred have claims, it is believed there are hundreds and hundreds more who have suffered at the hands of Dr. Durrani."

 

The complaint adds: "According to the FDA and independent scientists and physicians, BMP-2 has been causally associated with ectopic bone growth, cancer, spinal stenosis, pain, retrograde ejaculation, throat and breathing constriction, swelling, and other complications.

 

Courthouse News Service

 

 

We have shown as a society that reading stories about "huge international implications" isn't high on our TMZ-mentality brain.

  • Author

Clyde, additionally I wonder if any of the hospitals mentioned in the article advertise with The Enquirer? Or I wonder if there is any connection period between The Enquirer and these hospitals?

  • Author
We have shown as a society that reading stories about "huge international implications" isn't high on our TMZ-mentality brain.

 

You can make snappy comments all you want Clyde, it doesn't change the fact The Enquirer is much more interested in sensational stories than something of this magnitude and I would certainly like to know the Enquirer's motives for not reporting on this case.

The Enquirer is much more interested in sensational stories .

 

I agree, and so are all the news stations! When I saw the Sarah/Cody thing on ch 9, then on ch5, I just shook my head and said to myself "where is the real news?" They are both adults so I don't see it as being news.

 

It's the same garbage you would see in the National Enquirer, pure garbage!

 

I forget what story it was, but about a month ago on ch 9's website they had 5 of the top 7 stories all of the same story, just different reports of that one story. But things like this Dr gets thrown down the page, if its even covered at all.

 

As I have said before, it doesn't take much to be a journalist now days, unless you are in Chicago then you at least have to know how to take pics from your phone, as they got rid of all their photographers at one large paper.

We have shown as a society that reading stories about "huge international implications" isn't high on our TMZ-mentality brain.
Catering to the low information crowd.
I agree, and so are all the news stations! When I saw the Sarah/Cody thing on ch 9, then on ch5, I just shook my head and said to myself "where is the real news?" They are both adults so I don't see it as being news.

 

It's the same garbage you would see in the National Enquirer, pure garbage!

 

I forget what story it was, but about a month ago on ch 9's website they had 5 of the top 7 stories all of the same story, just different reports of that one story. But things like this Dr gets thrown down the page, if its even covered at all.

 

As I have said before, it doesn't take much to be a journalist now days, unless you are in Chicago then you at least have to know how to take pics from your phone, as they got rid of all their photographers at one large paper.

When the Post was still in business, the papers kept each other hustling. Not the case anymore. Enquirer has become news lite. And lazy.

Edited by Twotoplace

You can make snappy comments all you want Clyde, it doesn't change the fact The Enquirer is much more interested in sensational stories than something of this magnitude and I would certainly like to know the Enquirer's motives for not reporting on this case.

 

Why would my "snappy comments" "change the fact" when they're exactly what you said - sensational stories? That's what I've said all along. We as a society like sensational stories.

  • Author
Why would my "snappy comments" "change the fact" when they're exactly what you said - sensational stories? That's what I've said all along. We as a society like sensational stories.

 

I would like you to address the other issue. We agree sensational stories sell but in your opinion why hasn't the Enquirer ran something on this? Not a story? Don't like Deters? The Hospitals are advertisers? Some other conflict of interest with the hospitals? Bias? Too busy with National Enquirer type stories? Something else?

When the Post was still in business, the papers kept each other hustling. Not the case anymore. Enquirer has become news lite. And lazy.

Agreed! We don't get the paper anymore, but do have the online stuff. I don't use it that much anyway, as most of it, like the paper, is garbage off the wire that you can find anywhere online. It's like they cut, paste and then print.

I would like you to address the other issue. We agree sensational stories sell but in your opinion why hasn't the Enquirer ran something on this? Not a story? Don't like Deters? The Hospitals are advertisers? Some other conflict of interest with the hospitals? Bias? Too busy with National Enquirer type stories? Something else?

 

I just don't think it has enough stick factor with people. It's too long of a story. Too involved. The longer the story the less people are to read it. If it can't be explained in one section of a page it is probably too long for the Enquirer reader.

 

Deters name draws eyeballs.

I asked someone in the know if the Enquirer would hold a story about a hospital who advertised.

 

Answer was no.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.