Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Breandon Johnson is leaving Holmes?

Featured Replies

I watched him play youth football for 2 years with my son, and was worried that he would have problems. Can be completely dominant, but took off far too many plays, didn't practice hard all the time, etc. And he played for a great coaching staff that worked very hard and bent over backwards to help the kid out. A couple of those guys from that staff are very connected with Cooper. Any chance he ends up there?? I think Newport would be a bad landing spot for him.

  • Replies 89
  • Views 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the point I've seen his attitude on display, and it holds him back. Not downing the kid, I like him. If he drops the tude he could be great. I've seen kids with less talent and more character and work ethic achieve alot. He played b-ball with kids I know very well. I do like the talent, just getting a kid to buy in sometimes is hard. Thats what I meant by T. Moss syndrome.

 

I've personally coached, "not just known kids they've played b-ball with" which is a sport they won't play at the next level, both of these players and there is no "syndrome". They are no different than most kids from time to time and once you get to know them and understand what makes them tick they can be excellent players. Both have had challenging upbringings and that is not an excuse but fact. Did I need to kick both in the pants from time to time, absolutely, but in no way shape or form do these players have deplorable attitudes like what is being tossed around. I never disagree with a coaches way of handling his players and I don't know coach Nevels so I will assume he's doing what is best for his program but unless you're an insider who know's the FACTS let's not assume it's all on the player because if his attitude was that bad he wouldn't have been a starter on varsity since his freshman year and that is regardless of his size.

 

Sometimes fresh starts are best for BOTH parties so let's hope that is the case here and leave the personal "assumptions" at the door.

I've personally coached, "not just known kids they've played b-ball with" which is a sport they won't play at the next level, both of these players and there is no "syndrome". They are no different than most kids from time to time and once you get to know them and understand what makes them tick they can be excellent players. Both have had challenging upbringings and that is not an excuse but fact. Did I need to kick both in the pants from time to time, absolutely, but in no way shape or form do these players have deplorable attitudes like what is being tossed around. I never disagree with a coaches way of handling his players and I don't know coach Nevels so I will assume he's doing what is best for his program but unless you're an insider who know's the FACTS let's not assume it's all on the player because if his attitude was that bad he wouldn't have been a starter on varsity since his freshman year and that is regardless of his size.

 

Sometimes fresh starts are best for BOTH parties so let's hope that is the case here and leave the personal "assumptions" at the door.

 

I'm sorry that was misunderstood. My original post was a question: Thad Moss syndrome?

I was explaing to the following post what the syndrome was. (I was refering to Thad about the attitude holding him back) I knew Thad personally. I don't know Mr. Johnson. I was asking a Question. I meant no ill will to someones kid.

The young man needs to learn. To make it the the next level it requires a lot of hard work and effort when a lot of kids are not afforded the opportunity.

Sometimes the upbringing is an excuse... I know both of these kids and I will tell you they are two totally different young men who come from two different backgrounds... Sometimes a fresh start isn't the answer... Maybe they need to just work harder at what they want!

Sometimes the upbringing is an excuse... I know both of these kids and I will tell you they are two totally different young men who come from two different backgrounds... Sometimes a fresh start isn't the answer... Maybe they need to just work harder at what they want!

Both of these young men work extremely hard! They tend to take breaks, but many young athletes do that. As far as their upbringing, unless you've lived in their shoes, no need to speak on it.

Both of these young men work extremely hard! They tend to take breaks, but many young athletes do that. As far as their upbringing, unless you've lived in their shoes, no need to speak on it.

 

Couldn't agree more.

  • Author
Both of these young men work extremely hard! They tend to take breaks, but many young athletes do that. As far as their upbringing, unless you've lived in their shoes, no need to speak on it.

 

You and sixer I absolutely right.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

Both of these young men work extremely hard! They tend to take breaks, but many young athletes do that. As far as their upbringing, unless you've lived in their shoes, no need to speak on it.

 

 

Why do people insist on making excuses for kids with tough upbringings? It gets them no where and teaches them nothing about being successful the real world. When they graduate, no employers are going to care if they had a tough upbringing. Employers are going to care about 2 things: 1. Do they work hard? & 2. Are they accountable enough to show up and be on time every day?

 

Some Holmes folks have stated that the new coach has created the expectations that kids act right in school, go to class on time, work out in the weight room with teammates after school on certain days and attend academic study table a couple times a week. All are needed expectations at all schools, but the academic study table aspect is a must at a place like Holmes. When kids do not meet the expectations, the coach goes and finds them to ask what they are doing and why they did not meet the expectations.

 

Transferring seems to be easier than meeting expectations and working to become an accountable, college ready athlete.

I agree

What position(s) does this kid play? Will he be a senior next year? I hope it works out for the best for him.

Why do people insist on making excuses for kids with tough upbringings? It gets them no where and teaches them nothing about being successful the real world. When they graduate, no employers are going to care if they had a tough upbringing. Employers are going to care about 2 things: 1. Do they work hard? & 2. Are they accountable enough to show up and be on time every day?

 

Some Holmes folks have stated that the new coach has created the expectations that kids act right in school, go to class on time, work out in the weight room with teammates after school on certain days and attend academic study table a couple times a week. All are needed expectations at all schools, but the academic study table aspect is a must at a place like Holmes. When kids do not meet the expectations, the coach goes and finds them to ask what they are doing and why they did not meet the expectations.

 

Transferring seems to be easier than meeting expectations and working to become an accountable, college ready athlete.

 

Since you're replying to my post, show me where I have made an excuse for them. My knowledge of the boys is from experiences with them, not hearsay. No one ever said Johnson wasn't meeting expectations either. People wish to stand on the pulpit and say what should be about these kids when they have no clue. Johnson and Moss are to big, and gifted athletes that will have many options in their future with the right guidance, and won't need excuses. They should do what's right for them and makes them happy. Not getting along with a high school coach is acceptable whether people like it or not, and if you have an option, use it. How many college athletes change schools because of the coach? I believe quite a few do, and they still succeed. Would you continue to work for an individual you didn't like if you knew you had other opportunities? If so, why?

It makes most sense for him to just move up the hill to Covington Holy Cross or Covington Scott. Scott will have a good team this year. He could quite possibly land there. But would not be surprised if he went to HC he for sure would shine there.

Johnson is a good player. I hope he understands that in tough times good athletes and people get tough. I know his family has ties to Coach Lickert at Campbell Co. He coached at Holmes before coming to CC.

 

On a side note. Coach Nevels is a stand up dude. He works hard to get kids prepared for the game but more importantly prepared for life. I hope this kid knows what he is doing.

Since you're replying to my post, show me where I have made an excuse for them. My knowledge of the boys is from experiences with them, not hearsay. No one ever said Johnson wasn't meeting expectations either. People wish to stand on the pulpit and say what should be about these kids when they have no clue. Johnson and Moss are to big, and gifted athletes that will have many options in their future with the right guidance, and won't need excuses. They should do what's right for them and makes them happy. Not getting along with a high school coach is acceptable whether people like it or not, and if you have an option, use it. How many college athletes change schools because of the coach? I believe quite a few do, and they still succeed. Would you continue to work for an individual you didn't like if you knew you had other opportunities? If so, why?

 

Couldn't agree more. Funny how those who don't know either player or their TRUE situation are so quick to judge. Again, I'm sure Coach Nevels is doing what he feels is best for "his" program. That same right should be afforded to the player. Get off the young man's back and let him do what he and his family feels is best for him. Life is all about choices and he has every right to make that choice whether he succeeds or fails.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.