Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Beechwood Hires Head Coach - Dick Maile

Featured Replies

I like the hire because it is instant respect. Beechwood has been losing talent over the past few years to other schools and within the school itself. In Dick Maile you have a respected name with a lot of experience. Beechwood was very, very young last year. I believe their leading scorers were an 8th grader and a freshman and there were only a couple players older than sophomore on the entire team. If Coach Maile is only there a couple years and gets the program well established, that will be fine. Perhaps he grooms his successor and there is continuity that way.

I like the hire because it is instant respect. Beechwood has been losing talent over the past few years to other schools and within the school itself. In Dick Maile you have a respected name with a lot of experience. Beechwood was very, very young last year. I believe their leading scorers were an 8th grader and a freshman and there were only a couple players older than sophomore on the entire team. If Coach Maile is only there a couple years and gets the program well established, that will be fine. Perhaps he grooms his successor and there is continuity that way.

 

It would be great if they could get a few of the players back that the previous coach pushed away. There are some talented athletes in this year's Junior class. Pull in a little leadership and mix with the young talent and instant foundation to build a program on.

I agree but those kids haven't played in a year. So how could you call them leaders if they quit on the team once. What about the kids that worked there butt off on last years team that went 12-20. Who's to say that the will like coach Maile.

I agree but those kids haven't played in a year. So how could you call them leaders if they quit on the team once. What about the kids that worked there butt off on last years team that went 12-20. Who's to say that the will like coach Maile.

 

Everything is earned. If the kids return, go to work and they are the better players, they get the PT. You don't get anything just because you were there.

I like the hire because it is instant respect. Beechwood has been losing talent over the past few years to other schools and within the school itself. In Dick Maile you have a respected name with a lot of experience. Beechwood was very, very young last year. I believe their leading scorers were an 8th grader and a freshman and there were only a couple players older than sophomore on the entire team. If Coach Maile is only there a couple years and gets the program well established, that will be fine. Perhaps he grooms his successor and there is continuity that way.

 

I heard the person they wanted to groom as his successor decided not to accept the asst job.

 

I have no clue about Mr Maile weather he is great or not so great but I will throw this out there it is very hard for any coach to relate to teenage girls much less a man in his 70's. I am sure Mr Maile is respected by most in the NKY area but that does not mean those girls will follow suit. Good luck to him but it may be a tough job.

I agree but those kids haven't played in a year. So how could you call them leaders if they quit on the team once. What about the kids that worked there butt off on last years team that went 12-20. Who's to say that the will like coach Maile.

 

You bring up a valid point. Not sure I would call them leaders either, but they were good players that for whatever reason choose no to play. I can't see how a new coach would punish players under an old regime. The ones that did play should have the advantage of having another full season under their belt.

  • Author

I read in the paper this morning that this is Dick's 3rd stint at Beechwood. He coached there in the 1969-70 season.

Dick coached my daughters AAU team, the team was made up of NDA players. Very good coach who has an unsurpassed knowledge of the game. Doesn't get rattled, always comes out of a time out with a creative scoring play, doesn't pay any attention to parents. It is a great hire, not sure if he has grandchildren attending BW or not but I hope not as that always adds to the complex dynamics of coaching. Great hire and I dare say no one understands the game better than Dick. Will he have the talent to go along with it.....we will see. I can tell you Dick loves to coach.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.