Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fielding question

Featured Replies

Jeanie Finch is probably the best pitcher athlete ever and I have never seen her cover first, just saying!

 

I love A, to many times I see first baseman go to far off the bag to get a ball then there isn't enough time for anyone to get to first. Now if its a hard shot to first and only 1st can get it then yes by all means catch the ball.

 

I know the golden rule is when doing infield practice you should practice using the 2.5 time, which is kind of like pop time for catchers. By the time the ball hits the bat if the fileder can not get the ball to first in 2.4 seconds or less you should try a different way.

We talking olympians or high school? Why would Finch cover first when she had the best 1st and 2nd basemen in the world on her team. If a 1st basemen can get to a ground ball they better catch it. Just sayin keep it in the dirt. If the ball goes into right field, you won't need anyone covering first.
  • Replies 53
  • Views 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are talking college and Olympians and she would not need to cover 1st in those instances, We are talking high school, and with high schools you have some with different types of talent of these teams. You have to play your defense with what you have, if you know what I mean. This is off topic, but when David Justice played at Thomas More, coach connor would switch him from left field to right field in same inning based on who was batting....

 

 

Jeanie Finch is probably the best pitcher athlete ever and I have never seen her cover first, just saying!

 

I love A, to many times I see first baseman go to far off the bag to get a ball then there isn't enough time for anyone to get to first. Now if its a hard shot to first and only 1st can get it then yes by all means catch the ball.

 

I know the golden rule is when doing infield practice you should practice using the 2.5 time, which is kind of like pop time for catchers. By the time the ball hits the bat if the fileder can not get the ball to first in 2.4 seconds or less you should try a different way.

could be the best or smartest if 75 is shutdown and no other alternatives. Never know until situation arrives. I practice that situation all the time and depends on how the ball is hit, and again. If all players are moving, I am talking all 9 players in field should be moving somewhere, not standing still gazing...

  • Author
We talking olympians or high school? Why would Finch cover first when she had the best 1st and 2nd basemen in the world on her team. If a 1st basemen can get to a ground ball they better catch it. Just sayin keep it in the dirt. If the ball goes into right field, you won't need anyone covering first.

 

You don't have to be an olympian to play the game the right way or an olympiac coach to teach the game the right way. I am sure there are instances where a pitcher could cover first base and it could work but it wouldn't work over time so why teach it. Shouldn't we be teaching the girls how to play the game the right way then adjust to their skill set.

 

Pitchers are doing everything in their power just to stay up right on the mound right now. Balls are coming at them faster and faster, the last thing I want my pitcher worrying about is covering first, yes they need to field their position and I am all for pitchers covering bunts but I want my pitcher to protect themself first everything else is secondary to me.

  • Author
You are talking college and Olympians and she would not need to cover 1st in those instances, We are talking high school, and with high schools you have some with different types of talent of these teams. You have to play your defense with what you have, if you know what I mean. This is off topic, but when David Justice played at Thomas More, coach connor would switch him from left field to right field in same inning based on who was batting....

 

 

I don't know coach Connor or never saw David Justice play at TM but IMO that is poor coaching if you ask me. If the other fielder isn't good enough to be out their he should have recruited someone better. (we are talking about college now not HS) If I am the opposing coach and I see that happening I am going after that other player all day if possible. Coach Connor could have easily tired to force the other team to hit the ball to Justice by pitch selection. That outfielder couldn't have been to much worse than Adam Dunn was or some of the other left fielders we have had. I never saw anyone switch with AD in the same inning.

 

I am glad you are trying different things and I hope they work out for you.

Never A. Don't assume 2nd basemen will catch it. B would be preferred. There are 2 types of pitchers, 1- pitcher only. 2-pitcher/athelete. 1 hardly ever gets out of the circle, and 2 can cover first if needed. If the pitcher covers first they should practice it. If done right there will be no collisions.

Pitcher #1 you probably don't want out of the circle. Pitcher #2 will probably field all bunts as well as cover first. The only time our pitcher comes out of the circle is when there is a fly ball about to land in it.

It's nice if a team has a real athletic pitcher that can get out of the circle quick, but if anyone relies on their pitcher to field ALL bunts, they won't record many outs that way in my opinion.

OK, calling all Math geniuses how far is it from the pitching rubber to 1st in softball?

OK, calling all Math geniuses how far is it from the pitching rubber to 1st in softball?

42 feet 5 inches.

I've been watching this game for nearly 15 years and I have never once seen a 3-1.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.