Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cheerleading Questions

Featured Replies

I see Cheerleaders at both boys and girls varsity games and never remember that being the case back "in the day." Furthermore, I have heard some varying information on the rules/protocol for how many games the squad has to cheer for each team. Is there a set standard on how many boys games and how many girls games must have cheerleaders? Does it matter if it is JV or Varsity cheerleaders? Is this state mandated? School system mandated? Something else?

I am pretty sure title IX dictates that they divide games evenly, right down the line.

I am pretty sure title IX dictates that they divide games evenly, right down the line.

 

That is correct. Generally I see squads split up with a mix of varsity and JV for the basketball games, where some of each will cheer one game and the rest do the other (especially if it's a district doubleheader). For football, though, it's all varsity.

I wasn't sure if Guru was going to get REALLY controversial and ask "the question." :sssh:

  • Author

That makes sense but I want to know if this issue is specifically addressed in Title 9 or does everyone just assume it is addressed? And if it is addressed can someone copy and paste the part about cheerleading here?

I had no clue cheerleading was part of Title IX.

The only way cheer leading is a part of title 9 is as a support group. Cheer leading is still not recognized as a sport. Male and female sports have to receive similar support from support organizations, I.e., boosters, band, dance team and cheerleaders

  • Author

So if I am following the cheerleaders do NOT have to spend equal time cheering for the boys and the girls as far as T9 is concerned?

^ Not sure. But my cheerleader wife says they hated cheering for girls games years ago.

I wasn't sure if Guru was going to get REALLY controversial and ask "the question." :sssh:

 

If CheerNBHappy is real or not?

So if I am following the cheerleaders do NOT have to spend equal time cheering for the boys and the girls as far as T9 is concerned?
I was told the opposite. I understood that the Varsity squad and the JV squad each has to devote equal time supporting the girls team and the boys team. So no matter what squad your cheerleader is on, she will be cheering for each team about 50/50.

 

Football is another animal with no girls team. At Belfry, during football season, BOTH squads cheer for home games and I am not sure but I think they may alternate cheering for away games, but it is possible that both squads travel too. I admit I have no idea what they do for JV and Frosh games.

 

When I was in school in the early 80s, Title IX was little understood and hadn't evolved into what it is today. As a result, enforcement was lacking. Back then, the Varsity squad cheered for the Boys, the JV squad cheered for the girls. In football the Varsity cheered for Varsity games and the JV cheered for JV and Frosh games.

I think Watusi has it correct. It is not that cheerleading is considered a sport, it is to make sure boys and girls are equally supported.

I had no clue cheerleading was part of Title IX.

 

It's not that cheerleading is part fo Title IX, it's that if you have cheerleaders for boys varsity basketball you have to have them for girls varsity basketball as well.

It's not that cheerleading is part fo Title IX, it's that if you have cheerleaders for boys varsity basketball you have to have them for girls varsity basketball as well.

 

That's what I meant. I didn't know that was part of the requirements.

 

Does the band have to play equally?

 

If a school does their own webcast of games do they have to do equal broadcasts?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.