Highlands 60 St. Henry 59 (OT)

St. Henry (0-5) -- Best 17, Rechtin 8, Noble 4, Kuebbing 9, Melman 16, Kunster 6.

Highlands (1-0) -- Hinkle 3, Houliston 13, Gronette 1, Witte 19, Turner 10, Hergott 3, Feggins 4, True 5, Ramney 2.

Read more here: Latest high school boys' basketball scores | High school basketball | Kentucky.com

You know it's a darn shame that you have to visit a newspaper in Lexington, Ky and BTW they are free, to read line scores of local NKy games.

Hard fought win for the Birds in a game you hate to see any team lose.

Birds jump out 10-4 on the Cru as Witte scored 5 of the first 10 and then Houliston caught fire from behind the arc and the Birds led 17-15 after the 1st qtr. The Cru shot pretty well in the first half, Michael Best was hitting and Meiman got the rim a few times nicely. The score was tied at 26 at the half after a low scoring 2nd qtr. Witte had 9 first half points and Houliston had 8.

The 2nd half was back and forth with several lead changes. Witte had several stickback baskets and the Birds got some very good bench play from Feggins (soph), Hergott (Jr) and Ramey (soph). Luke Turner was more active in the 2nd half scoring 8 of his 10 points. Birds led by 5 late in the 4th qtr but didnt play smart firing up quick shots and the Cru came back to tie it at 44.

With the Birds down by 2 points and 25 seconds on the clock they called a timeout to draw up a play. Houliston had a very nice open look that careened strong off the rim and Witte snagged a strong board on the weakside sticking it back up and in with 5 seconds left. There was some serious contact on that stickback but no call. The Cru got a nice look from 30 feet out but Kuebbing's shot rimmed out.

Go to Overtime and the Birds got the tip and scored the first basket. Back and forth most of the Overtime period the Cru had a 59-58 lead and the ball with 25 seconds left and Luke Turner made an outstanding steal on the wing. Turner was fouled shooting and went to the line down 1 pt with 14 seconds left I believe. Turner converted both Free Throws and the Cru pushed the ball down the floor finding Mieman in the corner for an open 3 pointer. The shot was strong and Houliston snagged the board with 5 sec left in Overtime, he gets fouled and goes to the line for the Bonus. FT misses and the Cru have one last shot from 35 feet that falls short, Birds win in Overtime.

Shout out to Karl Hinkel for drilling the big 3 ball in OT and to Luke Turner for making some huge Free Throws.

I thought the football kids exceeded my expectations and played pretty well. Outside of some confusion on out of bounds plays and some offensive sets they all seemed to have success attacking the rim and didnt seem as tired as I thought. Nick True got a couple nice offensive board stickbacks. Feggins battled for some loose balls and rebounds. Hergott came off the bench and drilled a big 3 pointer late in the game. Excellent bench play by the Birds.

Once the chemistry syncs up and the football kids get their basketball legs they should be fine.

The point production from Houliston/Witte and Turner is key, they have to get atleast 40-45 points nightly amongst the 3 if the Birds want to be successfull.

Next up for the Birds are the Tigers from Bellevue on Sat night at home.

Looks like some great efforts by great players. Witte, Meiman and Houliston (already)Nice game by Best too. Key to game may have been keeping Noble to 4 points?

Witte got physical with Noble early and took him out of the game completely. Faust was not pleased with his effort and benched him in the 2nd half. I dont think he played more than a couple minutes in the 2nd half.

Players of the game for the Cru were Best and Mieman. Best shot very well and had tremendous confidence. Mieman just glides to the hoop and scores. He missed the 3 ball at the end but had a great look.

Drew came out the gate strong but like the other football guys seemed a little gassed in the 2nd half. Once his stamina gets stronger look out. His game is attacking and he will do a lot more of that as the season progresses.

Birds played fullcourt man press 90% of the game and only showed zone a little and that was just to catch their breath.

I know I jumped the stripes a ton last night but come on fellas! Are they paying you per foul called. I'm not saying they made bad calls but they called EVRYTHING.

40+ fouls called in the frosh game, atleast that many in the 2 hr JV game that ST Henry won 61-55 if I recall and I know they called 22 fouls against the Birds in the nightcap. A lot of ticky tack stuff called.

Congratulations to Highlands. Rough start to the year for the Crusaders. I was expecting better.

Witte played a very nice game. Guarded the 5 to start the game, and guarded the 1 later. Much stronger this year and it shows.

Highlands wins this game by beating St.Henry on the offensive glass. Lot of 2nd chance points.

St.Henry continues to shoot poorly from the line, turning the ball over too much. Had plenty of chances to win this game, but missed ft's to put it away. Up 4 with 40 sec to go in overtime and turn it over.

Once again, congrats to the Bluebirds and St.Henry better get their act together before its too late.(as if 0-5 isn't too late)

i'll post some pics later

Congratulations to Highlands. Rough start to the year for the Crusaders. I was expecting better.

Witte played a very nice game. Guarded the 5 to start the game, and guarded the 1 later. Much stronger this year and it shows.

Highlands wins this game by beating St.Henry on the offensive glass. Lot of 2nd chance points.

St.Henry continues to shoot poorly from the line, turning the ball over too much. Had plenty of chances to win this game, but missed ft's to put it away. Up 4 with 40 sec to go in overtime and turn it over.

Once again, congrats to the Bluebirds and St.Henry better get their act together before its too late.(as if 0-5 isn't too late)

i'll post some pics later

Offensive stickbacks were huge in the 2nd half and having Noble on the bench really hurt your size in the post. The Cru had some great opportunities there but couldn't cash in. It's very early as we have a long season ahead. Good luck

Q, excellent job by your boy. :thumb:

Thanks it was an emotional night for him. His aunt on his mom's side passed away suddenly in April at the age of 47. They dedicated the game to her because she was a fixture in the stands the past two years cheering on her nephew. She left behind a husband and 4 children so its been a rough year for everyone.