Can the Braves Comeback on the Nats?

halfback20

They just swept Washington and are down 5.5 games with 15 or 16 to go. Do they have any chance of winning the division in your opinion?

I'm a Braves fan but we have been floating around this number most of the year so I think things will remain the same. It will be awfully tough task to catch the Nats with the amount of games remaining. They can go .500 the rest of the way and we will be extremely hard pressed to catch them.

There's a chance, but not a good one. If this sweep had not come immediately following the Braves being swept by Milwaukee, maybe. If they could have taken 2/3 from Milwaukee this would only be a 3.5 game lead, and more possible. But 5.5 games back with zero games against that opponent? Just doesn't seem in the cards.

The only real thing working in favor of the Braves right now is that Washington has to play the Dodgers, Brewers, and Cards in three of their next four series. All are in contention for the wild card and so will not lay down. You could even throw Philadelphia into the mix (the other series out of the four). The Braves meanwhile have Miami for six games, the Mets for three, and the Phils for three in their next four series.

There's a chance, but not a good one. If this sweep had not come immediately following the Braves being swept by Milwaukee, maybe. If they could have taken 2/3 from Milwaukee this would only be a 3.5 game lead, and more possible. But 5.5 games back with zero games against that opponent? Just doesn't seem in the cards.

The only real thing working in favor of the Braves right now is that Washington has to play the Dodgers, Brewers, and Cards in three of their next four series. All are in contention for the wild card and so will not lay down. You could even throw Philadelphia into the mix (the other series out of the four). The Braves meanwhile have Miami for six games, the Mets for three, and the Phils for three in their next four series.

The schedules are the main reason I think they have a shot.

I hate the new playoff system btw with the extra wild card.

I despise the extra wild card as well, even though it would have saved the Braves a little embarrassment last year. And I really don't understand why they wanted to do it in the first place. The reason most threw around was to have dramatic finishes like the outstanding wild card race last year. But guess what? There would have been zero drama last year with extra wild cards. Tampa Bay and Boston? You're both in. You too St. Louis and Atlanta. Neither race for the second wild card spot would have come down to the last series let alone the last game. It does appear right now that it will work out for them this year (at least in the NL where the Braves would now be up 7 games with 15 to play), we'll see what it does in the future.

I don't think the Braves can.

1. Braves do not play Nationals again

2. Braves are gonna start resting players

I like the new wild card format I just don't like the 1 game playoff to determine it.

Braves as up 7 1/2 games on the second wild add team, but yet that team may win the one game playoff. It's dumb to let that happen, needs to be a 3 game series if they are gonna stick with this.

I despise the extra wild card as well' date=' even though it would have saved the Braves a little embarrassment last year. And I really don't understand why they wanted to do it in the first place. The reason most threw around was to have dramatic finishes like the outstanding wild card race last year. But guess what? There would have been zero drama last year with extra wild cards. Tampa Bay and Boston? You're both in. You too St. Louis and Atlanta. Neither race for the second wild card spot would have come down to the last series let alone the last game. It does appear right now that it will work out for them this year (at least in the NL where the Braves would now be up 7 games with 15 to play), we'll see what it does in the future.[/quote']

The Braves most certainly would have lost the one game playoff last year :lol:

Nationals lead is down to 4 games. They have to play Philly 6 times and the Cardinals 3 times.

The Braves have the Marlins twice, the Mets 3 times and the Pirates 3 times.

If the Phils can sweep the Nats and the Braves are down 2 or 3 games with 6 games to go, then I'll give it a minor chance of happening. I think there's a good chance the Cards can take 2 of 3 from the Nationals.

A couple of things to consider:

-The next two games are starts by Maholm and Hanson.

-The Braves have lost Maholm's last two starts (he took a L and ND) and four of his last six. One of the games the Braves won with Maholm on the hill he gave up 7 runs in the first three innings and was pulled before the Braves miracle 9th inning.

-The Braves have lost four of Hanson's last six starts. He doesn't have a win since July 30th.

Basically the point is that the Braves haven't had a lot of success of late with these guys pitching. They're the anti-Medlen. And unfortunately each will likely come back around against the Pirates. Medlen, Huddy, and Minor are scheduled to go against the Mets, which presents a strong chance of a sweep.