Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Technicals?

Featured Replies

  • Author
Coaches are held accountable for their actions, players are held accountable for their actions. Coaches are critiqued and some rolled through the hot rocks...players are questioned on BGP for not performing or making a poor decision. Fans are called classless for saying a phrase or two....HOWEVER, the very minute an official is questioned in the very least it becomes sour grapes and harsh warnings are sent everywhere. Just a thought from reading thousands of posts over the years.

I agree Nets. Accountability for officials is something you never hear of. In fact, I've never heard of high school officials being reprimanded by way of sitting a game or even sending a letter of apology. What can assigning secretaries do? Are their hands tied?

  • Replies 37
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Nets. Accountability for officials is something you never hear of. In fact, I've never heard of high school officials being reprimanded by way of sitting a game or even sending a letter of apology. What can assigning secretaries do? Are their hands tied?

 

I have a friend who is an official and they are graded by coaches. Also, if they get bad reviews assigning secretaries can cut their games the next month. Its not a case of them being the golden children, but a case of things being handled behind closed doors and those who aren't refs aren't privy to a lot of info i think.

Coaches are held accountable for their actions, players are held accountable for their actions. Coaches are critiqued and some rolled through the hot rocks...players are questioned on BGP for not performing or making a poor decision. Fans are called classless for saying a phrase or two....HOWEVER, the very minute an official is questioned in the very least it becomes sour grapes and harsh warnings are sent everywhere. Just a thought from reading thousands of posts over the years.

 

I think that its a matter of ignorance of the system. I have always said officiating is harder than it seems. I tried it a couple of times on a small scale, little league about 12 years back and trust me its harder than it might seem. Angle has a lot to do with it. One pair of eyes cannot possibly see what 400pairs can.

Gee I think 1 in 50 games is too many in my eyes. Its all about respect and lack of discipline. I have seen maybe 30 high school games boy's and girls this year and I have seen 5 "T" also. Three in one game CCH vs HHS (one on a coach and one on a player from each team). NCC vs. HHS one (against the same player from HHS who got one against CCH). One against a boy for dunking in warmups (at 5/3 Classic).

 

the one on the player in the NCC/HHS game was not a technical but an intentional foul. It was reversed.

Ronnie,

You probably should have stuck with it as numerous officials have told me that the level of officiating you were doing is by far the hardest. High school Boy's basketball should be and is the easiest for the experienced official and seasoned vet...the lower the level the sloppier the play and the more hacks, and goofy play evident.

 

Obviously their line of work is difficult, but at the same token any professional job in the world has difficulty of some sort. I appreciate and honor those officials who carry professionalism on and off the court...there are many out there who are great professionals.

  • Author
I think that its a matter of ignorance of the system. I have always said officiating is harder than it seems. I tried it a couple of times on a small scale, little league about 12 years back and trust me its harder than it might seem. Angle has a lot to do with it. One pair of eyes cannot possibly see what 400pairs can.

Agreed, it's a tough job and usually the ref that you don't notice is doing a solid job. I also think coaches fuel their fans by complaining about every call. At any rate, I believe more training is needed for these guys. The secretaries could help more if they would make an effort.

Clay County got five technical fouls at the Berea Tournament, and from what I've heard 2 of them should have been called.

Clay will give those guys a bad rating at the end of the year, oh Clay can't rate them. Hmmm??

I've seen three games start this year with a technical. Two for dunking and one for a wrong number in the book. As far as actual on-court technicals go, I haven't seen any more than normal.

IMO referees are quicker on the trigger this year in comparison to years past. I've seen several refs this year that are very sensitive and coaches and players are forced into walking on eggshells just to have a conversation with them. I think too many referees at all levels believe that people pay their money to come see them ref and not young men or women play basketball. I was at a game this year and saw a coach get t'd up for saying gosh darn't not aimed at a ref but at his own player. The ref made a big spectacle out of telling the coach that he needed to clean it up. Calls like that are interfering with the integrity of the game.

Coaches should be walking on egg shells. For too long, many of the high profile coaches in this state have thought the high school show was about them. Officials have (rightfully so) decided its time to remind them that it is about neither of them, but it about the players. A coach ranting and raving, stomping and hollering during a game doesn't help in the least. It only serves to distract the officials and to interrupt the flow of the players. The best coaching, IMO, is done in practice and during time outs and half times.

The T for dunking in warmups is a safety rule. The National Federation determined that some players may try and impress people in the crowd with a dunk before the game. And the players have a few minutes before the officials come out of the locker room to show off for the crowd. If the player is a borderline dunker then this player may end up on the ground injurying his/herself by following.

 

Does it make sense? No. But a rule is a rule.

There's also another reason. Ever had to sit while a game was delayed due to a broken backboard, bent rim, etc. It has happened numerous times and most high schools don't exactly have a spare laying around.

I saw a kid get a T for removing his shirt in playing vicinity. Thats a new one. I think its a combined affect.

 

Where was this at?

Players are required to leave the the visual confines of the court to remove their jersey (new this year).

Clay will give those guys a bad rating at the end of the year, oh Clay can't rate them. Hmmm??

I wasn't at the games so I don't know if they were needed or not. I'm just going by hearsay.

Players are required to leave the the visual confines of the court to remove their jersey (new this year).

 

This is to help with sportsmanship too I think as many players are mimicking what they see in the NBA, after making a good play or showing their disguist, they are pulling their jerseys out of their shorts or holding up the chest portion of the jersey. I'm pretty sure thats the interpetation of the rule. Plus if blood is on the jersey, they must leave the visual confines too, I believe.

You are a wise man, just as your avatar would suggest. This rule has been added for sportsmanship reasons. Too many kids mimicking the college and NBA ranks by wanting to remove their jersey after disqualification on 5th foul or tecnical/flagrant fouls.

 

Also must leave confines to change for shirt saturated with blood. I was at a girls' game once where a girl changed shirts right on the bench in full view of the crowd.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.