Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cell Phones in the Classroom

Featured Replies

What are your thoughts on students being allowed (middle and high school) to use their cell phones in class to aide in research via wireless access provided by the school?

  • Replies 153
  • Views 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My sister in law just completed a 90 page research paper for her principalship(correct word?). I wish she was a member on here. I'll pick her brain sometime and jump back in this thread.

If it's not during a test then it's no different than being on a computer in the classroom.

 

However, the school can't limit what a student does on their phone like they can on their network so if I'm a teacher and there are computers in the classroom I would not allow them to be on. There is no need for them.

If you allow students to use their cell phones in the classroom they will spend more time texting then doing anything else. The teacher will be trying to lecture and they will not be paying attention.

Teachers always tell us no cell phones or else. Two weeks into school as long as you're not obnoxiously getting texts and vibrations, teachers end up giving a blind eye.

Teachers always tell us no cell phones or else. Two weeks into school as long as you're not obnoxiously getting texts and vibrations, teachers end up giving a blind eye.

 

And isn't that too bad. Cellphones don't belong in the classroom.

Cellphones nowadays are as good as a computer. It's naive to believe cellphones aren't already in the classroom. If a teacher can successfully utilize the cellphone use for educational purposes I am all for it. Schools are using iPads, laptops and are faced with advancing technology every new school year. Utilize it I say. Kids sending texts is no different from passing notes asking Ginger 'if she'd go with me' back in the day or the cool game where you wrote down three girls names, three cities and three jobs and folded the paper funny style to see who you'd marry, where you lived and what your job was. Pull out the Droids, Galaxies and iPhones and lets get to learning.

If you allow students to use their cell phones in the classroom they will spend more time texting then doing anything else. The teacher will be trying to lecture and they will not be paying attention.

 

Texting or playing games, I had the high score on snake in our French class......:cool:

 

Like what Clyde said sure cell phones can be used to access the computers but you can't regulate what else they do with them. I don't think they should be used in the classroom, more of a distraction than a tool.

Cellphones nowadays are as good as a computer. It's naive to believe cellphones aren't already in the classroom. If a teacher can successfully utilize the cellphone use for educational purposes I am all for it. Schools are using iPads, laptops and are faced with advancing technology every new school year. Utilize it I say. Kids sending texts is no different from passing notes asking Ginger 'if she'd go with me' back in the day or the cool game where you wrote down three girls names, three cities and three jobs and folded the paper funny style to see who you'd marry, where you lived and what your job was. Pull out the Droids, Galaxies and iPhones and lets get to learning.

 

If schools are using the tools that you mention then there is no need for the cellphones to be used. You can't control a cellphone's access. You can control the items the school owns.

 

Why would you allow them to use it if there are already tools to use? You're just opening up a can of worms that you don't need nor you can control. There is no upside for allowing the phone to be used.

I do not support any school that says cell phones have to be kept in lockers.

I do not support any school that says cell phones have to be kept in lockers.

 

I would have to agree with that, while they can serve as a distraction in the class room, if an emergency situation were to arise you'd want those kids to be able to call for help. Hell if a horrible accident happened the GPS can even be used to locate kids.

I would have to agree with that, while they can serve as a distraction in the class room, if an emergency situation were to arise you'd want those kids to be able to call for help. Hell if a horrible accident happened the GPS can even be used to locate kids.

 

It can also catch bad teachers doing bad things.

  • Author

I brought this issue up because it is a reality in my district starting this year. We (teachers) have been told it will be at our discretion. There is a policy in place and the general opinion (not of all ) is that this is a good thing.

A lot of teachers are seemingly on board with this, planning to use them regularly in their classes.

I am a lot more apprehensive about this and was wondering what the BGP opinion was. While I can change my mind, as of right now I do not plan to have them in my classroom.

If schools are using the tools that you mention then there is no need for the cellphones to be used. You can't control a cellphone's access. You can control the items the school owns.

 

Why would you allow them to use it if there are already tools to use? You're just opening up a can of worms that you don't need nor you can control. There is no upside for allowing the phone to be used.

 

What if there aren't tools for everyone to use but a majority have a cellphone? Not every school can afford iMacs, iPads, laptops, etc. for the whole class.

 

I don't see a downside to having cellphones in the class.

  • Author
However, the school can't limit what a student does on their phone like they can on their network

 

 

 

This is not entirely true. In our district we don't get 3G coverage. I'm certain this is the case in other areas as well. I'm speaking as an AT&T costumer. I believe Appalation Wireless does have 3G here. Regardless, for the most part using the internet on a phone here is painfully slow.

 

The students using the wireless system in the building is under direct district supervision, certain sites blocked and usage limited.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.