Does This Slide Warrant Suspension?

Clyde

Suspended no, but they should have ruled the guy out at 1b because Goldschmidt was WAY past 2b when he was done. And I would think he'd get plunked the next time up. Nothing above the waist, but a plunking nevertheless.

Suspended no, but they should have ruled the guy out at 1b because Goldschmidt was WAY past 2b when he was done. And I would think he'd get plunked the next time up. Nothing above the waist, but a plunking nevertheless.

That is not true for MLB. It would be true for high school. As long as he slides at the bag they will allow him to go over.

That is not true for MLB. It would be true for high school. As long as he slides at the bag they will allow him to go over.

I didn't realize that. I supposed it applies wide of the bag, but not that far over?

Yep, and as long as you're in range to make contact with the bag, the rest of you is allowed to be anywhere. Still, it was dangerous, uncalled for, and should be addressed. Those 2 have issues anyway. Should make for fun TV.

I didn't realize that. I supposed it applies wide of the bag, but not that far over?

You have to be able to reach the bag when you slide to either side of it. As long as you start your slide before the bag you are allowed to slide over it. MLB gives a lot of leeway to runners unlike high school.

You have to be able to reach the bag when you slide to either side of it. As long as you start your slide before the bag you are allowed to slide over it. MLB gives a lot of leeway to runners unlike high school.

Why do you think that is? Major leaguers better at avoiding incoming slides?

Why do you think that is? Major leaguers better at avoiding incoming slides?

High school rules are always based upon safety and preventing injury. You can't slide to the side of a bag (even if you can reach it) and you can't slide over the bag. Injury prevention. MLB is based upon tradition as much as anything plus it's so subjective when you say "straight into the bag" like high school does. Plus they're grown men.

More info: The same runner, Goldschmitt, slid into the back of the 2nd baseman's leg earlier in this series on a play where it was obvious there would not be a turn. LAD dotted him later. He says he was trying to break up a DP. However, it's clear that Hairston is not going to turn a DP. He's stretching as if he's a first baseman.

These two teams already had a history.

By the way this slide pales greatly in comparison to Hal McRae's slide into 2nd (well it was a barrel role and not a slide) in the 77 ALCS against the Yanks. Sadly, I can't find video of it. I saw it on MLBN tonight and it is crazy how far he goes past the bag to get Randolph.