Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Catholic organizations across the country file suit against contraception mandate

Featured Replies

I've heard it mentioned at Mass.

 

The biggest crime by the Church and it's "mentioned."

  • Replies 98
  • Views 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for any person or organization's right to protest and file suit. It's the best part of being American so I have no problem with the Catholic church fighting for what it believes to be right.

 

However, IMO they are frauds by claiming they are fighting for "religious rights." That's crap. They're fighting specifically for the birth control issue. Had the new law make it illegal for a plan to COVER birth control there is ZERO chance we are saying prayers at the end of mass about "religious rights." The Catholic church is not about religious rights. They are about Catholicism. Just say that and don't cloak it in the flag.

When I attend religious services it is for the purpose of feeling closer to God. A politically motivated message would certainly make me leave.

 

The same people saying the prayer with vigor at the end of mass are many of the same people that say the black church is too much about politics.

We've never once prayed for victims of sexual abuse suffered at the hands of priests.

 

I can think of masses I've attended at the Thomas More Chapel, St. Henry's in Erlanger, St. Bernard's in Dayton, St. Agnes in Ft. Wright, St. John's in Covington, and at least 3 masses at the cathedral in Covington where we have specifically prayed for the victims of the sexual abuse suffered at the hands if priests. I heard entire homilies at the cathedral, St. John's, Thomas More, and St. Henry dedicated to our need to pray for these people. I guess you were just going to the wrong masses.

When I attend religious services it is for the purpose of feeling closer to God. A politically motivated message would certainly make me leave.
For us, it isn't politics.
The biggest crime by the Church and it's "mentioned."
Despite the mistakesthat were made, it was a "crime" by individuals, not the Church as a whole.
Despite the mistakesthat were made, it was a "crime" by individuals, not the Church as a whole.

 

Agreed, COMPLETELY. There was no Catholic policy to commit the crimes. There was no Catholic policy to cover anything up. Did priests commit those crimes and did priests cover them up? Yes. The Catholic Church did not, though.

 

I work in construction...in one of the companies I worked at there were 6 of my co-workers who all had been convicted with DUI's. Those individuals drank and drove, not the company.

Agreed, COMPLETELY. There was no Catholic policy to commit the crimes. There was no Catholic policy to cover anything up. Did priests commit those crimes and did priests cover them up? Yes. The Catholic Church did not, though.

 

I work in construction...in one of the companies I worked at there were 6 of my co-workers who all had been convicted with DUI's. Those individuals drank and drove, not the company.

 

 

A better analogy would be if you continually hired drivers with DUIs in their backgroud AND then there were deaths on the highway as a result. You couldn't hide behind "hey, it was individuals." 100% complicit when you didn't take care of it when you found out the first time.

I can think of masses I've attended at the Thomas More Chapel, St. Henry's in Erlanger, St. Bernard's in Dayton, St. Agnes in Ft. Wright, St. John's in Covington, and at least 3 masses at the cathedral in Covington where we have specifically prayed for the victims of the sexual abuse suffered at the hands if priests. I heard entire homilies at the cathedral, St. John's, Thomas More, and St. Henry dedicated to our need to pray for these people. I guess you were just going to the wrong masses.

 

I need to talk to my priests then. Mine spent more time talking about money we needed to pay off debt.

I'm all for any person or organization's right to protest and file suit. It's the best part of being American so I have no problem with the Catholic church fighting for what it believes to be right.

 

However, IMO they are frauds by claiming they are fighting for "religious rights." That's crap. They're fighting specifically for the birth control issue. Had the new law make it illegal for a plan to COVER birth control there is ZERO chance we are saying prayers at the end of mass about "religious rights." The Catholic church is not about religious rights. They are about Catholicism. Just say that and don't cloak it in the flag.

 

I missed what you are arguing for here. Catholic run employers are being affected. They will be forced to make contraceptives available which goes directly against Catholic dogma. That is what they are arguing for, religious freedom. What else should they say?

 

I don't like all of the money talk, especially w how the Diocese of Covington plays favorites. However here they are rallying against an infringement on their beliefs.

Frankly, I find it a joke for the Catholic Church to get so worked up over this, considering how few of its followers are strict adherents to the "no sex before marriage" plank. If the Church was to get all medieval and go booting out all of its followers who violate this rule, there'd be no Catholics left, including my father, who I'd argue is as devout a Catholic as anybody on this board. Guess I was a preemie ...

Agreed, COMPLETELY. There was no Catholic policy to commit the crimes. There was no Catholic policy to cover anything up. Did priests commit those crimes and did priests cover them up? Yes. The Catholic Church did not, though.

 

I work in construction...in one of the companies I worked at there were 6 of my co-workers who all had been convicted with DUI's. Those individuals drank and drove, not the company.

 

Really?

I missed what you are arguing for here. Catholic run employers are being affected. They will be forced to make contraceptives available which goes directly against Catholic dogma. That is what they are arguing for, religious freedom. What else should they say?

 

I don't like all of the money talk, especially w how the Diocese of Covington plays favorites. However here they are rallying against an infringement on their beliefs.

 

I am arguing that the Church is being disingenuous when we have prayers and signs that argue about Religious Liberty when in fact it's about a specific Catholic issue - birth control. Had the issue been reversed - ie no health plan can provide coverage for birth control - we would NOT be having prayers and signs about "religious liberty."

 

I'm all for the Church fighting for what they believe in. Just be honest about it.

Frankly, I find it a joke for the Catholic Church to get so worked up over this, considering how few of its followers are strict adherents to the "no sex before marriage" plank. If the Church was to get all medieval and go booting out all of its followers who violate this rule, there'd be no Catholics left, including my father, who I'd argue is as devout a Catholic as anybody on this board. Guess I was a preemie ...

 

Again, it doesn't matter about hypocricies and contradictions regarding other issues bc they are not being legislated here. They are very right to fight this, if you believe in the First Amendment. This is the government violating the free exercise clause.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.