Williamstown hires former UK guard Roger Harden

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet the quote in the paper from the AD was that "it was a very impressive resume". If all he's done is AAU and some middle school coaching, it really makes me wonder if they (Williamstown) weren't just starstruck by the fact that someone who played at UK wanted to coach at Williamstown...regardless of his coaching ability.

Why would you discount AAU coaching? I know a few AAU coaches I'd hire to run my high school program.

Why would you discount AAU coaching? I know a few AAU coaches I'd hire to run my high school program.

Agree with you there. Looks like there is alot of people discounting someone they know very little about coaching wise.

I'm not discounting AAU coaching at all. (However, I do feel there is a difference when being able to invite/select the players you want, versus having a limited group to pick from in high school. Heck, even I could draw a play up where Michael Jordan or Kobe makes it look good. The same play at a mid/low level of high school ball....maybe not so much.)

All I'm saying is that, for ME, I don't know that I would've said that his resume "jumped off the page, with all that he's done".

It may still be a very good resume. But, with supposedly 35 other interested candidates...the one thing that I can almost guarantee his resume had that nobody else had was this: "Played at the University of Kentucky". THAT is what jumped off the page at them...not necessarily his coaching ability/history.

I'm not discounting AAU coaching at all. (However, I do feel there is a difference when being able to invite/select the players you want, versus having a limited group to pick from in high school. Heck, even I could draw a play up where Michael Jordan or Kobe makes it look good. The same play at a mid/low level of high school ball....maybe not so much.)

All I'm saying is that, for ME, I don't know that I would've said that his resume "jumped off the page, with all that he's done".

It may still be a very good resume. But, with supposedly 35 other interested candidates...the one thing that I can almost guarantee his resume had that nobody else had was this: "Played at the University of Kentucky". THAT is what jumped off the page at them...not necessarily his coaching ability/history.

I agree, but if nothing else the hiring of Harden has gotten Williamstown bball more publicity than anything I can recall.

Now let's see if he can get comparable gym/practice time to the band.

As long as he doesn't run for public office, shoot deer out of a state sponsored vehicle, hire his girlfriend as his asst coach, buy huge flatscreens to watch the NCAA tourney in every room, I think he'll be just fine.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I love it.

And yet the quote in the paper from the AD was that "it was a very impressive resume". If all he's done is AAU and some middle school coaching, it really makes me wonder if they (Williamstown) weren't just starstruck by the fact that someone who played at UK wanted to coach at Williamstown...regardless of his coaching ability.

and dated a cheerleader for the basketball team named Holly. Then this NFL player name Collinsworth entered the picture.:lol:

and dated a cheerleader for the basketball team named Holly. Then this NFL player name Collinsworth entered the picture.:lol:

I think you mean Jim Master. Unless young Holly really had a thing for shooting guards and dated both. I mighta had a chance...