18 Years Ago Today...

Colonels_Wear_Blue

I never mourn for those who wasted their talent and threw their lives away by abusing drugs. Cobain, Morrison, Hendrix, Joplin....the list goes on and on. What a shame.

I used to think that way, then I realized that I'm not them, and I can't even fathom what life was like for them, so it's not for me to decide. Yes, it's a shame those talented people's lives ended too soon, as a result of their own demons. But it's not like it was a calculated decision for each to allow their lives to spiral out of control.

But at the end of the day, are they any different than the millions of talented people who throw their lives away because they eat too much?

I never mourn for those who wasted their talent and threw their lives away by abusing drugs. Cobain, Morrison, Hendrix, Joplin....the list goes on and on. What a shame.

Agree, I didn't and haven't lost any sleep over his passing. I'd rather listen to cats scratching a blackboard then anything from Nirvana.

I used to think that way, then I realized that I'm not them, and I can't even fathom what life was like for them, so it's not for me to decide. Yes, it's a shame those talented people's lives ended too soon, as a result of their own demons. But it's not like it was a calculated decision for each to allow their lives to spiral out of control.

But at the end of the day, are they any different than the millions of talented people who throw their lives away because they eat too much?

Exactly who was shoving the dope down their throats, up their nose or in their arm?

So what is good in your eyes...not being defensive, just asking.

Your question is valid and thanks for asking. Not that my musical tatses are going to be liked, but I'm a fan of the music Nirvana put on the back-burner.....80's hair/glam metal. You can also throw in Journey, Boston, Kansas, Foreigner, Queen & The Who.

Your question is valid and thanks for asking. Not that my musical tatses are going to be liked, but I'm a fan of the music Nirvana put on the back-burner.....80's hair/glam metal. You can also throw in Journey, Boston, Kansas, Foreigner, Queen & The Who.

All great artists. I enjoy them as well as the mid 90's grunge, plus lots of other stuff.

So, there's some residual bitterness about the belated death of hair metal, eh? I'm guessing you were one of the ones looking on in abject horror when Kurt came on to Headbanger's Ball sporting a debutante gown.

While I have great loathing for the unfortunate trend of hair metal, I can thank the fad for driving me away from mainstream rock'n'roll and enabling me to discover hip-hop and college rock, both of which were incredibly fantastic and vibrant during the period of lowlight jokes such as Winger, Warrant, Dokken, et al.

Exactly who was shoving the dope down their throats, up their nose or in their arm?

Human beings have shown many resourceful ways of self-medicating away the pain of everyday life. I don't know many people who self-medicate with the intention of killing themselves -- at least not initially. Usually that's an accident, kind of like the heart attack most of this board is staring at in their near future (me included).

So, there's some residual bitterness about the belated death of hair metal, eh? I'm guessing you were one of the ones looking on in abject horror when Kurt came on to Headbanger's Ball sporting a debutante gown.

While I have great loathing for the unfortunate trend of hair metal, I can thank the fad for driving me away from mainstream rock'n'roll and enabling me to discover hip-hop and college rock, both of which were incredibly fantastic and vibrant during the period of lowlight jokes such as Winger, Warrant, Dokken, et al.

So, not a fan of "Headed for a Heartbreak"? :D

Nothing better than "rockin' with Dokken". Dokken - In My Dreams (music video) HD - YouTube

Never have an overweight loved one who died a little earlier than they should have? I think just about everyone has a parent, grandparent, aunt or uncle who was the one who weighed in about 75 or 100 pounds more than they rightly "should" have, and either had heart and blood pressure issues, or had Type 2 diabetes diagnosed when they were about 45 or 50. Why couldn't you say they "threw their lives away" by eating too much? Was anyone shoving too much fattening food down their throats? My mom has a good friend who was morbidly obese for most of her adult life and died of a heart attack in her early 50's. Should my mom not mourn for her because she was unable to push away from the table?

Anyone ever know anyone who smoked and died from COPD or emphysema? Do you never mourn for them? What's the difference in smoking cigarettes until they kill you or doing coke until it kills you?