Somerset Coaching Position

Is anyone hearing anything about this coaching position?

Here is the names i heard:

1. Jeff Cothran

2. Dave Shultz

If I were making the decisions there i would want to hire a person who wants to build the program from the ground back up where it was at a few years ago before Coach Thacker left. I hope they make the decision to get a young energetic coach in there that truly cares about Somerset and the program.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How large and populated area does Somerset High School draw from? Is there Open Enrollment in their county?

Could a new coach build an AAU feeder program in to the school?

Which high schools are nearby that could take away good players?

How large and populated area does Somerset High School draw from? Is there Open Enrollment in their county?

Could a new coach build an AAU feeder program in to the school?

Which high schools are nearby that could take away good players?

I am unsure of the population numbers but they have 3 high schools...Southwestern(5A in football), Pulaski County(5A) and Somerset(2A, I believe)

An AAU feeder program could most certainly be built.

Pulaski County's best player, Taylor Gover should be at Somerset. Rowan County's DJ Townsend should have been at Somerset. There are others also but those two are recent notable ones. Someone from Somerset can fill you in better than I can.

I am hearing Dave Fraley is now in the mix for this job. Has anyone else heard this?

I heard his name from the beginning. Right now Somerset has 5 head coaching positions to fill and almost no teaching slots open. Someone like him might make sense. I'd like to see them seek a more permanent solution.

I dont think hiring someone who is only gonna stay a year or two is the answer. I am not sure that Somerset has enough talent right now to win a region so why not bring in a young coach who is gonna be able to build this program back up and that way they do not have to go through this again in a year or two. I bet there is a lot of Somerset people who wish they would have kept Coach Thacker now.

I dont think hiring someone who is only gonna stay a year or two is the answer. I am not sure that Somerset has enough talent right now to win a region so why not bring in a young coach who is gonna be able to build this program back up and that way they do not have to go through this again in a year or two. I bet there is a lot of Somerset people who wish they would have kept Coach Thacker now.

Didn't Thacker resign to take the Rowan County job? He wasn't fired.

I am unsure of the population numbers but they have 3 high schools...Southwestern(5A in football), Pulaski County(5A) and Somerset(2A, I believe)

An AAU feeder program could most certainly be built.

Pulaski County's best player, Taylor Gover should be at Somerset. Rowan County's DJ Townsend should have been at Somerset. There are others also but those two are recent notable ones. Someone from Somerset can fill you in better than I can.

Why should Gover be at Somerset ? He certainly doesn't live in the city. He never went to Somerset high school.

Didn't Thacker resign to take the Rowan County job? He wasn't fired.

Average Joe you have inspired me again. You know there was more to the story about Thacker than meets the eye. Yes he resigned, because based on the kind of person, man, and coach he is, it is in is nature to do the politically correct thing. I have heard plenty of people from Somerset say they wish he had stayed. But that is water under the bridge at this point, happened 4 years ago. SHS needs to focus on the future and not the past. I have heard the talk about Coach Fraley and it may be a good decision in the grand scheme of things if it happens. Everyone expects the coach to run the Summer/AAU program. It does not have to be the Coach. But at Somerset, based on my experience in starting a AAU program, you need a committed adult who is more into player development than winning with their own kids and a selected few athletes. Small school, with a good football and baseball program, IMO means you need to get more kids involved than 7 or 8. Winning in the 3rd and 4th grade means nothing in the grand scheme of things. If you research what Thacker done at SHS he won without the middle school kids that stared in the years before he arrived. He worked on player development and did not focus on transfers. I will say again the parents at Somerset are going to have to measure success in other ways besides district and region championships for the next couple of years. Right now they are behind the County programs as a program and talent. If they can ever get the entire community to buy into overall player development and not worrying about who wins at Rocky Hollow, all three public school in the area can be good. For the record I have been around the HS level AAU programs in Lexington and around the state for the past 5 years, and none of those teams are coached by their HS head coaches. The HS coachs appear to support the development of there kids because it will make them more competitive.

Objective: Increase the size of the talent pool and the level of the talent within the pool.

Task: Recruit positive, professional, people to run the feeder programs for the right purposes.

Goal: To develop a competitive group of young men to compete at the highest possible level in high school.

Results: Winning? I am just saying.

Edited by realfanreturns
spelling mistake