Somerset Coaching Position

I saw on the Somerset website that Monday is the last day they are accepting applications. Does anyone know or have any thoughts on who the next coach there may be? Still the only things i have heard or saw is that people have said Jeff Cothran, Dave Fraley, Jordan Mann. I heard from a teacher in the Somerset district that they thought there had been quite a few people apply for this job. I wonder what other names are out there for this job?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoke with a friend from college this past week who said he expected Nick Napier, a former Scott County assistant from 2007-2010, and currently at Bell County, to apply for the job. Could be a nice up and coming coach who'd be there for awhile and be dedicated to building a solid feeder program on the summer circuit.

I have said all along that hiring a young coach that is willing to stay around a while is the right answer for this job. I still think you need someone with Somerset ties to get in there so they do not let Gover and Wright get all the talent to the two county schools. You need someone who can keep the Somerset kids in the city and draw other talent in as well.

With the new Super from casey County, and the new principal from Lincoln County. I would bet the new Coach will have a Casey or Lincoln background.........Thats how these 2 guys usually work! IMO Jordan Mann would be a great hire, but is he able to put the way Thacker was treated behind him. I am willing to bet the new coach has NO Somerset city schools ties!!

I think it would be difficult for someone without Somerset ties, there are alot of parents with kids in the school system now that went to Somerset and like having a familar face around, imo.

I agree I think a local person or someone with Somerset ties is what they need. I heard today from a person with Somerset connections that Cothran is going to get the job.

that would be a good choice, he gets along well with the kids, would have a fun style of basketball and will demand a hard work ethic.

Is Cothran the same guy that had the job once and left? Also the same one who quit in the middle of the year at Southwestern as the girls head coach? Should of learned your lesson I would think. If so that would worry me in the direction I was wanting to go in. A young coach with energy, who is ready to get involved with every level of basketball is what they need. I know of one assistant that has applied and would be great for them, he does not have any Somerset ties and that would be a good thing at this point. Been a part of regional championships something Somerset has not accomplished in a while.

After some of the comments that Mann has made about his former school the past few seasons why would he want to coach there? More importantly, why would they be interested in bringing him back?

What has Coach Mann said that would make you believe he would not want to come back there?