Pond or lake fishing?

jericho

My absolute favorite is wade fishing in smallmouth streams with light spinning gear. Lots of good opportunities in central KY for that. Those stream smallies are STRONG and provide tons of fight.

2nd favorite is bluegill fishing with a fly rod and top water "poppers". Farm ponds are the best, but there is plenty of fun in lakes too.

After that, I will take crappie fishing with minnows and jigs, bluegill fishing with traditional gear, and cat fishing by any method.

I'm not much of a bass fisherman, but I do a little bit of it.

Lake fishing is best if you have a boat and know what you're doing on that lake. Pond fishing is easier and perfect if you are on foot.

Like Watusi, I love wade fishing. I also enjoy night fishing.

My favorite though is saltwater fishing. I've been fishing all my life and there just isn't anything that compares to catching a big saltwater fish. I'm hooked (no pun)...

Middle of the day on a public beach :thumb:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36185[/ATTACH]

Caught a bunch of sharks at Myrtle Beach last summer, but nothing that big. Every time we'd pull one in, it would draw a little crowd and people were amazed that they were swimming around these little 12-15 inch sharks. Every single time, somebody would wonder where the "mommy" sharks were, lol.

Caught a bunch of sharks at Myrtle Beach last summer, but nothing that big. Every time we'd pull one in, it would draw a little crowd and people were amazed that they were swimming around these little 12-15 inch sharks. Every single time, somebody would wonder where the "mommy" sharks were, lol.

You can catch them all day long at Hilton Head. About 90% are typically 14-18" long. About one out of every 10 gets up around 20-25". About one a week gets up to 3 1/2' or more.

People really don't understand what's swimming around them in the Atlantic Ocean. :thumb:

I'll say this, I hooked one that jumped completely out of the water. It broke my line almost instantly, but my buddy and I both got a good look at it. It had to be 5-6' long. I was standing in knee deep water in the surf when I hooked that one.

How far out? Just beyond where the waves were breaking with the tide coming in was where we seemed to do the best.

I was fishing with cut mullet and shrimp, late June.

I typically wade out until about chest deep on me and then throw as far as I can throw. On most days, I have a solid bite before I get back to knee deep water. If you watch closely, you can quickly learn the best spots, etc. If you see a school of baitfish - cast in there ASAP. If you find a hole that is a little deeper than the surrounding surf - cast in there, etc. If you see seagulls diving into the water - cast there ASAP.

Saltwater fishing is actually pretty easy with the right tackle and bait. The absolute best way to catch big fish is to catch a baitfish, chop it up into cut bait and cast it back in. They frown on that a little so have to be sneaky, but that's the way to really catch a big one.