Young Talent at the Sweet 16

After watching a few games in the First round on the Internet I cant believe the amount if Freshman anda Sophomores playing. Who are some of These kids and where Did they come from?

Johnson Central - Salyer, Adkins, Blair, Hall

Southwestern- Edwards, Kapinga

Knott Co Central- Justice, Christon, Hall

I am sure I missed a few but I cant remember seeing this much young talent at Rupp Arena.

Southwestern:

Kapinga moved here from Canada. I believe he is originally from Africa.

Edwards made a name for himself last year as a freshman. He should have been listed as one of the top 10 players in the 12th region in the preseason.

They also have Isaiah Collier(#15) and he is a freshman. He can shoot from long range and adds athleticism to Southwestern's team. He starts and didn't have a great game offensively the other day. I expect him to play better today.

The real question is how old are these "frosh"? I am betting almost all of them are holdbacks. Not taking anything away from their play, but a 16 year old frosh is quite different than a 14 year old frosh.

The bottom line is, they all have three years remaining in eligibility. I don't really care how old they are. I care more about keeping them all in Kentucky. Because if they do, the future of Kentucky high school basketball looks bright.

Southwestern:

Kapinga moved here from Canada. I believe he is originally from Africa.

Edwards made a name for himself last year as a freshman. He should have been listed as one of the top 10 players in the 12th region in the preseason.

They also have Isaiah Collier(#15) and he is a freshman. He can shoot from long range and adds athleticism to Southwestern's team. He starts and didn't have a great game offensively the other day. I expect him to play better today.

How is Edwards related to the Edwards boy who played for Schulz a few years back who was also a soccer standout? They look an awful lot alike.

The bottom line is, they all have three years remaining in eligibility. I don't really care how old they are. I care more about keeping them all in Kentucky. Because if they do, the future of Kentucky high school basketball looks bright.

Nobody is disagreeing with that. The innocence of the word freshman is lost when you realize the freshman is driving to school.

The real question is how old are these "frosh"? I am betting almost all of them are holdbacks. Not taking anything away from their play, but a 16 year old frosh is quite different than a 14 year old frosh.
This is not the real question. They are freshman with 4 years to play high school basketball. Whether they are 16, 15, 12, or 8 when they start high school, they have the same opportunity as any other freshman across the state. Your use of the word "holdback" makes it sound as if they need an asterisk by all of their names for their success, kind of like Barry Bonds home run record. Don't do that to these kids.

This is not the real question. They are freshman with 4 years to play high school basketball. Whether they are 16, 15, 12, or 8 when they start high school, they have the same opportunity as any other freshman across the state. Your use of the word "holdback" makes it sound as if they need an asterisk by all of their names for their success, kind of like Barry Bonds home run record. Don't do that to these kids.

I think in general terms, most people thing of Frosh as 14 year old kids. Keep it real. I watched a story on these parents/kids a couple of weeks ago on 60 minutes. It's becoming very wide spread, so much so that some school districts are not allowing holdbacks (redshirts) any longer. The parents are doing "that" to the kids. This is not a kid issue, it's a crazy parent issue. Hope they packed enough for their trip, their ego trip that is. I know..........I know, it's a maturity issue.