Do the Nets want Coach Cal again?

This guy seems to think so...

BUCKS BEAT: Big decision nears

While John Calipari has experienced remarkable success at the University of Kentucky, it’s hardly a secret he would leave the Wildcats for an NBA coaching position.

The latest rumor making the rounds is that Calipari is in the crosshairs of New Jersey management. Calipari coached the Nets from 1996 until 1999.

Does he know something we don't?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've heard Cal say before that he advises his assistants to only take head coaching jobs at programs where you are walking into a good situation--i.e. you can win right away. That makes good sense to me. I wonder if he would take his own advice, as New Jersey (at the moment) doesn't seem poised to be atop the Eastern Conference anytime soon. Currently, they're ahead of only the mighty Wizards & Bobcats in the East.

I have always felt like Cal has unfinished business in the NBA & that he would be back there before he ends his coaching career. But I always thought it would be for a place like New York or Chicago or Miami.

This guy seems to think so...

BUCKS BEAT: Big decision nears

While John Calipari has experienced remarkable success at the University of Kentucky, it’s hardly a secret he would leave the Wildcats for an NBA coaching position.

The latest rumor making the rounds is that Calipari is in the crosshairs of New Jersey management. Calipari coached the Nets from 1996 until 1999.

Does he know something we don't?

Doubtful.

I've heard Cal say before that he advises his assistants to only take head coaching jobs at programs where you are walking into a good situation--i.e. you can win right away. That makes good sense to me. I wonder if he would take his own advice, as New Jersey (at the moment) doesn't seem poised to be atop the Eastern Conference anytime soon. Currently, they're ahead of only the mighty Wizards & Bobcats in the East.
Great point. I can't imagine him walking away from the situation he is in for such a crappy job. I hate to say this, but the only way I'd see him leaving for a crap NBA job would be if he thought NCAA sanctions were looming. Now if the Heat came calling or any job of that caliber then he'd be a fool not to at least hear them out.

Guess everyone missed the Decoursey interview.

I saw it, but I don't really believe any coach when they're asked about other openings. Cal himself firmly denied interest in the UK job right after getting off the airplane from Memphis' NCAA tourney loss.

Great point. I can't imagine him walking away from the situation he is in for such a crappy job. I hate to say this, but the only way I'd see him leaving for a crap NBA job would be if he thought NCAA sanctions were looming. Now if the Heat came calling or any job of that caliber then he'd be a fool not to at least hear them out.

I guess things in New Jersey could change if they were to land someone like Dwight Howard, but as of right now, the Nets job seems very unappealing to me.

Call me crazy but I believe him when he says he is at the best job in basketball and that the only reason he would go to the NBA would be for money and he doesn't need or want money like that anymore. He'd be stupid to go back to the NBA and I don't think he is stupid.

Call me crazy but I believe him when he says he is at the best job in basketball and that the only reason he would go to the NBA would be for money and he doesn't need or want money like that anymore. He'd be stupid to go back to the NBA and I don't think he is stupid.

I agree with this but like FKYW said if the Heat and Lebron come calling it would be hard to say no.

I saw it, but I don't really believe any coach when they're asked about other openings. Cal himself firmly denied interest in the UK job right after getting off the airplane from Memphis' NCAA tourney loss.

Did he really? I watched that interview and seem to remember thinking afterwards that he would come to Kentucky if Kentucky offered him a job. He gave a few routine answers but never flat out denied his interest in the Kentucky job, from what I recall.

He'd be stupid to go back to the NBA and I don't think he is stupid.

Do you think it would be stupid of him to take the Heat or Knicks if either job opens up?

I agree that most jobs he'd be stupid to try, but those two would be very appealing. And I could see either of the opening up after this year.

Do you think it would be stupid of him to take the Heat or Knicks if either job opens up?

I agree that most jobs he'd be stupid to try, but those two would be very appealing. And I could see either of the opening up after this year.

Other than the market what is appealing about the Knicks job?

Did he really? I watched that interview and seem to remember thinking afterwards that he would come to Kentucky if Kentucky offered him a job. He gave a few routine answers but never flat out denied his interest in the Kentucky job, from what I recall.

The interview I saw was the one done literally at the airport--like outside the team plane. He flatly denied it. I'll find the interview.

Unlike some of the posters above, I don't think New Jersey is a lousy job. They're moving to Brooklyn & have a Russian billionaire owner. They have Deron Williams & Brook Lopez & will undoubtedly be able to recruit more talent with the money, market, & new arena.

Although the Nets are dismal now, I'd say the New Jersey coaching job is one of the better jobs in the NBA. Obviously it is a step down from the Lakers, Knicks, Heat (currently), Chicago, and Celtics, but I can't think of too many more franchises that would be better to work for in the near future.