Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Stop Kony 2012

Featured Replies

Having known quite a few of the "Lost Boys of Sudan", by virtue of working with them, despite anyone's assertions, I have every confidence these Invisible Children are real, and the terrors they face are real. There's also a great book you can read from a personal perspective, of one of these so called Invisible Children. I don't have the title here, but when I get home, I'll pull it off the shelf and post it.

  • Replies 32
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Having known quite a few of the "Lost Boys of Sudan", by virtue of working with them, despite anyone's assertions, I have every confidence these Invisible Children are real, and the terrors they face are real. There's also a great book you can read from a personal perspective, of one of these so called Invisible Children. I don't have the title here, but when I get home, I'll pull it off the shelf and post it.

 

Thanks, Rockmom. I agree with you entirely, for the record. In fact, I went to college with three "Lost Boys of Sudan" and heard many of their stories. I truly believe they are in need of our help and that Joseph Kony needs to be stopped. I just question if Kony 2012 is the organization to do it through.

But, the author didn't really provide us anything to compare that to here. They've lumped in salaries, travel, and filmmaking into an arbitrary category and compared it to expenses on "services." That seems odd, particularly since the organization appears to focus on raising awareness over service. It seems that the author is more against the idea of this particular organization and has cobbled together evidence to support that belief. It's probably why I ultimately found it unconvincing. Maybe "Invisible Children" is a shoddy, self-serving organization, but I don't think they've proved it here.

 

You're right about that.

 

I'd still ask, when the crux of the campaign is to raise awareness and to get people to contact their local government through a grassroots effort...is it that expensive to encourage people to do that? (Especially when they can do that with the free electronic means that they are obviously making a successful use of...)

 

Obviously, as I said before, there are bound to be overhead costs. I don't mean to downplay that. Still...take, for example, the fact that Jason Russell graduated from film school at USC. He draws a salary from the non-profit, yet they still spent $357,610 in film costs on top of his salary. Yeah, a digital camera can cost you upwards of $10K. You might even need two or three of them. Computers with editing software might cost you upwards of another $30K more. So...that still leaves them with $300,000 in film costs to account for - and all when one of the paid principles is a film maker himself. That's just an example of something seeming fishy to me.

You're right about that.

 

I'd still ask, when the crux of the campaign is to raise awareness and to get people to contact their local government through a grassroots effort...is it that expensive to encourage people to do that? (Especially when they can do that with the free electronic means that they are obviously making a successful use of...)

 

Obviously, as I said before, there are bound to be overhead costs. I don't mean to downplay that. Still...take, for example, the fact that Jason Russell graduated from film school at USC. He draws a salary from the non-profit, yet they still spent $357,610 in film costs on top of his salary. Yeah, a digital camera can cost you upwards of $10K. You might even need two or three of them. Computers with editing software might cost you upwards of another $30K more. So...that still leaves them with $300,000 in film costs to account for - and all when one of the paid principles is a film maker himself. That's just an example of something seeming fishy to me.

 

That would be something I would be curious about as I know nothing about filmmaking. I think if someone wanted to show that this organization is misusing their money then they would dissect their 501©(3), compare it to similar organizations, then point out the discrepancies.

On the funny (and true) side of things...

 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36073[/ATTACH]

 

How doesn't it?

 

You mean they didn't stop Child Abuse when everyone changed their profile pictures to their favorite Disney character? :eek::eek::eek:

On the funny (and true) side of things...

 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36073[/ATTACH]

 

Now that is funny.

I watched the video. As I watched it I had mixed feelings of, 1. this sounds like a bad man and terrible situation and 2. the way this video is made makes me question the maker also. The video is maybe 25% about Kony and 75% about self promotion IMO. If he really wanted to make a video focused on Kony and trying to get people behind ending the situation, he could have done that video in 10-15 minutes versus 30. The video made me aware of Kony but suspicious of taking any of the steps they asked at the end of it.

That is bizarre.

I heard about that too. Sounds like just the kind of guy to spearhead the charge bring an African warlord to justice :lol:

 

:lol:

See what I mean? Have you noticed? Has anyone noticed? Do you hear that? Silence. A week later, and no one cares -- exactly as I predicted.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.