Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

13th Analyst

10 Post Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by 13th Analyst

  1. I stand corrected. For some reason I neglected to include 05/06. This is how it breaks down. 2000/2001- 12/12/00 Middlesboro 61 Harlan 60 2/5/01 Harlan 83 Middlesboro 58 2001/2002- 12/11/01 Middlesboro 59 Harlan 57 2/5/02 Middlesboro 77 Harlan 54 2002/2003- 12/17/02 Middlesboro 71 Harlan 63 2003/2004- 12/16/03 Middlesboro 68 Harlan 64 12/30/03 Harlan 68 Middlesboro 66 1/29/04 Middlesboro 73 Harlan 60 2004/2005- 12/14/04 Harlan 82 Middlesboro 75 2005/2006- 12/13/05 Harlan 80 Middlesboro 68 2/10/06 Harlan 81 Middlesboro 68 2006/2007- 12/15/06 Harlan 89 Middlesboro 73 1/30/07 Harlan 71 Middlesboro 52 While both have had their streaks, I do not think it is fair to say that either team owns the other through the years. If you had said that Harlan has owned Middlesboro as of recently I wouldn't have had a problem but as these numbers show, Harlan obviously didn't own Middlesboro from 2000 to 2004.
  2. I'm no professional but I do know a lot about the game. However, it doesn't take a professional scout to conclude that Greer can't throw 86-87. I've seen the kid throw on several occasions and I maintain my statement about him throwing 80-81 with decent off-speed. Just so you know, Smith from South Laural throws about 86-87 and he is a solid D1 pitcher. I would also argue that Nelson is the best pitcher on Bell County's squad.
  3. At Middlesboro: Aaron Sowders- Cumberland College (I think) Bill Powell- Morehead St. (football) and then Lincoln Memorial University (baseball) David Kelley- Lincoln Memorial University Others that I know of: John Smith (Whitley County HS)- Cumberland College Bussell (Rockcastle County HS)- Eastern Kentucky University
  4. Harlan has owned Middlesboro for several years??? How can you even say that?? Middlesboro has won 6 out of the last 10 meetings.
  5. Not a chance. The kid is a good pitcher right now and could develop into a great pitcher, but there is no way he was clocked at 86-87. I would say he is more in the 80-81 region with decent off-speed.
  6. Those are definitely the top hitters from Middlesboro. I would also argue that Tolliver is right there with them though. I would also throw Nelson in there for Bell County.
  7. Yes he is an assistant coach for this team. However, Coach Sowders has the reigns now and this program is on his shoulders.
  8. I think Middlesboro stands a great chance at winning this region this year. Coach Sowders has a couple years of head coaching under his belt and actually has some depth and leadership to work with this season. I highly doubt that one pitcher in the region will be enough to keep them from winning it.
  9. In my experience, 60's are most time efficient and if it is a well ran showcase then they usually won't take the time it would require to time every single player from home to second. I agree that it would be useful but definitely secondary.
  10. Let's just say that Roark has underachieved with the talent that he has been blessed with. He did win a state championship but who couldn't have with that 98' team. Unbelievable talent.
  11. I agree that the main point of the 60 for baseball is to measure the true speed of the player but the other things you mentioned, cutting corner, rounding first, and gap speed aren't figured in at all into the 60 yard dash. It is a dead straight run, they don't measure players at combines from home plate to second base. I think the 60 simply gives a little time for a player to show off his accelaration. I think it is most applicable for outfielders.
  12. Are you serious? Anybody that knows the Middlesboro program knows that we have had more than our share of talent recently. Specialty positions (QB, RB, TE, WR) have been very talented the last ten years. They have had the talent to win at least one more ring since 98' but Roark shoots himself in the foot by not pushing weight lifting at all. Therefore, it isn't the talent that he doesn't get, he just doesn't put any size on his players. Middlesboro is always small and quick up front but against the best teams, they get exploited. Hence the reason that they always make it deep into the playoffs but rarely all the way.
  13. That light pole will never be moved. There is probably 2 tons of cement anchoring that thing underground. They also choked a little bit by making that brick backstop so dang close to the plate (a true sign of a team that never has fundemental catchers). Example, Cumberland always has great catchers. They have to because if they don't, a pass ball would seriously hurt. Even Middlesboro's and Corbin, both brick, are a significant distance futher from the plate than the wall at Cawood. That being said, they have been pretty competitive through the years and I would like to see that come back again. It is good for the region.
  14. A lot of people will be surprised at how much arm strength Tolliver has picked up over the off-season. However, Middlesboro is pretty deep with pitching this year and Tolliver probably fits in to their rotation at about 4 or 5 to tell you the truth. His future is at 3B. The kid was the best true hitter on Middlesboro's team last year and has only gotten better. He has a great build for the corner and is probably one of the hardest workers on the team.
  15. In response to a few of your statements: Technically, Middlesboro's varsity did play Pineville the past 15 years. However, while it did count on the varsity record, the top players did not participate and that I am positive of. If you did follow Middlesboro baseball you would know that Brian Powell did pitch as well. In fact, he was probably the best pitcher on the team his last two seasons. When he appeared on the mound he was dominant. What is even more impressive is that he played his entire senior season with a torn labrem and was still the strongest defensive player in the region. Justin Stewart may have only hit 2 homeruns his senior year but he did bat .463 that year. If you think Jeff Kyle is the only player in Middlesboro history to hit multiple HRs in a game then you are wrong. And I don't even know what you mean by the Brian Williams comment. Since the national guard building is a good 3-4 miles away I am assuming that you mean he hit a far HR. There is no need for you to defend Brian Williams as he was one of the players I put on my all-time team. As is Jeff Kyle. And I don't know who you are talking about but I also assure you that nobody is still talking about Craig Heath or his homerun at Palatka. I played for Middlesboro for 5 years since his time and actually never heard his name once. If you are putting Barry Burch in the linup because of his defensive abilities then you might as well throw Blake Allen in there as well. I thought we were just listing the best all around players. Just a note: 9 of the 22 players I named played prior to 98. The reason I named players mostly from that era is because they were flat out the better players. Middlesboro won regional championships in 98, 99, 02 while finishing runner-up in 00, 04, and 06. That is an extremely successful era. Let's not also forget that they reached the Final Four in both 99 and 02. That may be the reason why I listed so many in that era. You on the other hand seem a bit bitter towards players from newer Middlesboro teams, which may also be the reason you didn't put Coach Sowders on your list.
  16. I can respect these rankings but I can tell you are obviously a little bias towards the older players. As second base I couldn't think of many but Chad Adkins should definitely be in there. I actually don't know all of the players you named but I can assure you that you left a few off. In 1999 when the Jackets went to the Final Four, Lee Hardin went 12-0 on the mound and threw a combined 5 no-hitters during his junior and senior years. He also went on to play college baseball. Brian Powell started on two Final Four teams (99' and 02) and was clocked throwing 85 mph from SS to 1B. He committed to Kentucky out of high school and later played for Georgetown College. He was All-State his junior and senior seasons. Justin Stewart started for 5 years for the Jackets, beginning with his eighth grade year. He was the offensive leader for the Jackets on the 02 Final Four team by hitting .410 with 13 HRs as a sophomore. Was a very dominant pitcher in the 13th region throughout his career and was All-State his junior and senior years. He ended up playing baseball at Cumberland College. Vince Powell had a career .420 BA included a .496 senior year. He too was an All-State selection his junior and senior seasons and committed to play at Morehead State out of high school. Now I'm not trying to attack your list in anyway. I can respect the selections you made but I would advise you to keep up with the Jackets a little more. You obviously haven't followed too closely for the past 15 years. Skidmore was a great player and a great competitor but he seems to get more credit that he deserves on the mound. You included him in the pitchers but Lee Hardin was definitely a better pitcher. You should also know that while many of the players on your list did rack up hitting stats versus the likes of teams like Pineville High School, Middlesboro doesn't even allow their varsity squad to play them anymore. They haven't for about 15 years now. They now regularly play the top teams in the state including Lexington Catholic, Henry Clay, PRP, etc. Regardless, Middlesboro has had some great baseball through the years.
  17. Yes he did play college ball for a few years but developed some arm problems I believe. I do know that now he works for the Dubin Orthopedic Centre in Middlesboro as a MRI tech or something. He is also a father to beautiful little girl.
  18. I will take a shot at Middlesboro's all-time team Pitchers: John Smith, Lee Hardin, Floyd Patterson, Jeremy Skidmore Outfielders: Jeremy Skidmore, Brian Williams, David Kelley, Jeff Kyle, Brian Carter, Justin Stewart 3B- Derrick Wynn, Brad Cawood SS- Lawerence Buell, Brian Powell 2B- Chad Adkins, Stephen Cambron 1B- Glenn McDonald, Josh Robinson C- Floyd Patterson, Bill Powell, Aaron Sowders, Vince Powell
  19. I will try to address a few of your comments. 1) Hatmaker won't lose his spot because he played golf. He may however, lose his spot because Tolliver got that much better. If Tolliver does indeed start at the corner, which in my opinion he probably will, then that will leave Frady, Earls, Brooks, and Hatmaker to battle for the middle infield. Say what you want about Frady being out but he still has quicker feet, quicker hands, stronger arm, and as good a bat as Hatmaker. They probably tie in attitude. Brooks was also out there in the off-season getting better. That being said, I don't think Hatmaker can beat out both Brooks and Frady. 2) Off-season training is mandatory for anybody who considers themselves a serious athlete. If Hatmaker doesn't consider himself a serious athlete then he won't mind not starting this season. Middlesboro has had several players in the past play golf and long-toss everyday. Josh Burns, Jay Beeler, and Brian Powell for example. 3) Off-season training is not a grey-area. What about summer baseball, is that a grey area? What about passing skeletons and open gym? Excuses are like...well you know the rest. 4) If the coaches make Frady a catcher and he quits, then the team will be better off with out him. Don't get me wrong, I think the team could use him but if that is his mentality then he might do more harm then good. And Frady could very well be the #3 pitcher by seasons end. Earls is a fierce competitor but I think he is much more needed in the field. He will contribute several innings though. 5) Hoskins and Earls are primed to have big seasons. They will no doubt have the chance to be the MVPs on this team. However, I think in the championship game, the ball should be in Pittman's hand on the mound. He has more effective offspeed and Hoskins is invaluable at CF.
  20. There were several on the list that didn't stay for a baseball career but the point was that Coach Powell assisted them into getting in the position to play college ball. Just because they didn't continue to play didn't mean they didn't have the talent to. Glen McDonald didn't play a whole semester, Skidmore quit at ETSU after just a few months, Brian Powell suffered a pretty bad injury and thought he may be better suited for Georgetown, Vince Powell never fully recovered from his wrist injury and thought it was time to give it up, and Justin Stewart played one season and sustained an injury and is now a student at UK. Like I mentioned before, my post was simply showing that yes, players from southeast Kentucky have gotten a chance to play DI and college baseball in general and that the key to that was having a good coach in Coach Powell.
  21. Brooks will not play first base. If Breeding gets moved to a different position, and it more likely be left than right, then Jones would definitely get the nod at first. I'm telling you though, middle infielders need not get comfortable. Out of Frady, Earls, and Hatmaker, only two will start and I feel very confident that Tolliver will win the 3rd base job. He had the best stick on the team last year. In wait and see's projected line-up, probably two of the best hitters on the team are sitting the bench and there is only one DH spot. I feel very good about the fact that they will both be in the line-up, everyday.
  22. Sawyers was a successful coach. When reading over that again I felt like I didn't give him much credit. He took his team to a State Championship game in the early 90s. Very few coaches have done that.
  23. Here are some guys who went on to play college ball under Coach Powell at Middlesboro in the past decade: Glen McDonald 97'- University of Kentucky (DI) Scott Benson 97'- Campbellsville University (NAIA), Union College (NAIA) Brad Southern 97'- Hiwassee College (JUCO) Josh Robinson 99'- Lincoln Memorial University (DII) David Kelley 99'- Lincoln Memorial University (DII) Chad Adkins 99'- Alice Lloyd College (NAIA) Lee Hardin 99'- Cumberland College (NAIA) Jason Goodman 99'- Cumberland College (NAIA) Jeremy Skidmore 00'- East Tennessee State Univ. (DI), Union College (NAIA) Derrick Wynn 00'- Northern Kentucky University (DII), Union College (NAIA) David Chedester 01'- Greeneville Collge (DIII) Casey Hatmaker 01'- Lincoln Memorial University (DII) Brian Powell 02'- University of Kentucky (DI), Georgetown College (NAIA) Justin Stewart 04'- Cumberland College (NAIA) Vince Powell 04'- Morehead State University (DI) Justin Harris 04'- Union College (NAIA) Josh Burns 04'- Maryville College (DIII), Lincoln Memorial University (DII) I don't necessarily think that the number of DI players that were produced is as good as indicator of how good a coach a person is as is just the total number of player sent on to play college ball. I feel like an important part of being a great coach is finding a place for you players to extend their career if that is what they want to do. It takes a caring coach to go out of his way and contact college coaches for his players I also think JD Bussell at Rockcastle is top notch. He seems to be very knowledgable about the game, competes at a high level year in and year out, and does so with a great deal of class.
  24. He wasn't the coach in 2002. That was Sawyer's last year. He was mad because he had every starter return and still lost to Middlesboro in the regional championship when they started 5 sophomores. However, that is a great example, Powell got that very young Middlesboro team through region, through sectionals, and into the Final Four. Fact is, Garmon inherited excellent facilities in a baseball crazy town and failed to make the regional tournament last year. And it isn't like they were playing in the 43rd district or something. The region consisted of Williamsburg who was 11-11 in region play, Whitley who was 9-10, and South who was 17-2. To get to region, Middlesboro has to beat Bell County who was 13-7 in region play and a Cumberland team that was 10-8. Whitley was no better than Bell County this past year and while Corbin's coaches couldn't get the job done, Middlesboro's coaches did. Despite the fact that Middlesboro had lost to Bell County in their most recent meeting, they came out and beat them 10-0. In my mind, that is great coaching. Sorry if I offended any Corbin fans. I had several great games with Corbin when I played but I just don't think Garmon is in the elite class of coaches in the Southeast. Just my opinion.
  25. I can at least think of two assistant coaches ahead of Garmon, one is his own assistant. The other is Coach Powell from Middlesboro.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.