Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

vansmetal

10 Post Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by vansmetal

  1. I've meet both coach Fogt's. They both went out of there way to check my daughter out for a sub on the select team they coach. So I would imagine that they would do the same for St. Henry fastpitch. I purposely used the word fastpitch, because we sometimes forget that it really is fast and not soft(ball). These select teams are practicing year round. Some girls in high school play other sports or they only play high school ball, and are getting passed by the select ball girls. You not only put the best on the field, you put the girls that can protect their selves as well even if it means younger girls (middle school kids.) I've seen a handful of fifth graders that could play as good as some high schoolers and it goes back to year round ball with select vs a high schooler who only plays for 4 months. Plus like another thread said, you don't have enough girls in this area interested in softball. I'm sure all high school coaches would love a varsity team with all select ball experienced seniors and leave the middle schoolers with grandma, but that's not reality or is it?
  2. I was just wondering if the previous week could be posted along with the new poll to see a comparison. That's if the poll. Has changed. By the time I scroll to find the previous poll, I forget who stands were on the new one.(only if I had a brain) thanks in advanced
  3. Final from Walton Verona Sports Complex. Lady Camels are looking better, and I believe had a starter or 2 missing due to spring break. Big ups to Sarah Terhaar for 2 homeruns on the night.
  4. Do you mean winner of All "A" Classic or the winner between Bishop Brossart and Nicholas County? If you mean between Bishop Brossart and Nicholas County, both have losses against region 10 opponents. Even though I would assume both teams have room to improve, just as the rest of the teams. I would say the favorite to go to state out of region 10 could be a handful of teams, not just a winner so early in season at a tournament.
  5. I would say that probably most coaches would say of course, who wants to admit no and hear it from the parents even more. I've seen girls mess up and the coach get upset at the player who is saying I didn't know.....either the player plays dumb or the coach didn't really let them know. I hate to say it, but in the end the player if they want to be good they have to become a student of the game and not rely on the coaches for everything. On the flip side, somethings the player has no control over and it's up to the coach to take care of. I can't imagine a coach remembering everything,so you better take good notes and have a good staff to help.
  6. Final from Boone County High. Parents had to suffer through good weather. ?
  7. Final from Campbell County. Both teams dealt with the cold and rain really well.
  8. Lafayette canceled b/c of a chance of rain.
  9. When I posted about Campbell County, on my phone I couldn't tell there was a link. I guess I got lucky with posting the same girls as marc.hardin. I kinda like the idea of not having a kid put in the lime light and turning it into fuel for the flame. What you put down marc.hardin is fine with me. I'll try to keep up with Campbell County varsity better and look into JV and freshman for up and coming to post about.
  10. For Campbell County..☆Jessica Verst, who I heard is going to Thomas Moore and I think she's their SS. ☆Mallory McGrath, who is going to be replacing Rachel Carrol in the circle. The only game I saw her pitch last year, she went from catcher to pitcher. I'm assuming she caught more than pitched since they had Rachel last year. Keep in mind I only made it to 2 games and I'm basing this off of what I've been told and observed in those games. ☆ Danielle Orick, who my understanding is a good all around player. ☆ The rest of the team....hopefully someone with more info can fill us in better.
  11. Just like everything in life, there are some things your good at and other things not so good. I believe that regardless of the talent of the softball player, she can bring something positive to the table. So, is there any one/multiple drill(s) that you as a coach/parent, or player recommend to help a player, coach, or even a parent. If not a drill, maybe advice or instructors. I'll start by saying the 1st drill that comes to mind for hitters and pitchers is to stand in front of mirror to go over mechanics. Tell your daughter to replace brush with bat. :ohbrother: For the mental side, I like John Michael Kelly and his site is softball smarts. Team drills are welcomed, and even drills that one might not recommend. Help an idiot out:notworthy:
  12. The one thing my thread definitely shows is that softball is not going to get any better in Kentucky. I'm not sure how I'm blaming coaches for anything. It's pretty obvious that people don't like change and it's gonna still be the same ol' same ol'. If anything I'll blame the parents:isurrender:, it's time for me to go sit in the corner now.
  13. If there's always a need for a better trained coach, then how does that fall on the athlete? Athletes will usually do what the coaches want, but if it's wrong it hurts the athletes chance to improve and not the coach. You can take a clueless coach with great athletes and make the coach look like he's the man, but you can't do that with a brilliant coach with less than stellar athletes, but yet the finger could get pointed at coach or athlete. Point is its hard to decipher who's right or wrong and it would be nice to see somethings at least agreed upon. I've talked to coaches from rec. on up to college about softball and everyone of them for the most part would not agree with anything at all, especially mechanics, then throw parents on top of it all. So, wouldn't it make since to have at least some of the basic mechanics,skills, or even warm ups agreed upon. I watched a high school game last year were the catcher after 3 innings went straight to pitching and never warmed up. I know it's not a mechanics situation, but I thought wow that's odd. I've seen the rec. girls warm up their pitchers, but not high school. And yes I get it, it was only that one game, but how does a coach expect to have a athlete have success like that? If a pitcher can't warm up, I bet mechanics aren't being taught. Then, I asked a parent who told me that that was something that only happens once in awhile, because there's not enough time. Then I saw it happen at a select game as well, with getting same answer about time. Maybe just bad timing on my part. But I can say it did seem like the coaches were trying their best and I guess that's all we can ask for.
  14. I wasn't really trying to say just D1, but rjs4470 makes some good points. So could it help the girls get the looks from schools below D1? I'm sure there are coaches out there that probably go above and beyond educating their selves, but I bet there's just as many that might need a push. Kinda like some athletes that need a good supporting cast to help them over the hump. I wonder, if sometimes a coach feels like he/she wishes his or her supporting cast was helping them over a hump. Also, I think we have just as good of a chance for the girls to succeed here as the southern states have. As far as I know, select teams at least practice year round, which can help with honing your skills. I guess some could argue that more games is were it's at, but I like the idea of more practice than games. The girls can also do tee and mirror work at the house. If you get really creative you can do just about anything at the house and make it fun. Plus, since we can't play year round, I would assume it cuts back on burnouts.
  15. Made ya LooK. So, I was thinking which really hurts, but I can't imagine coaches knowing it all. On the top 10 thread Boone89, who I'm going to put one of his sentences from that thread got me to wonder about certification. Oh yeah, before I forget here's that sentence....."College coaches talk to a lot of players and the bigger D1 schools are not looking at our local kids, they are certainly using our kids to make money at their camps, so why don't we put more effort into getting Kentucky recognized as having quality players than we do worrying about what other people say about a players list." Read it twice...Thanks Boone89, I hope it is ok that I use your words, but what you said is right on the money. So what Boone89 said got the wheels turning and I've heard other sports have coaches get certifications, correct me if I'm wrong, maybe it's in other states. Anyway, what about a certification or whatever fancier word we could use to have softball coaches from rec. on up to at least high school to be mandatory. Maybe that could get the ball rolling for Kentucky, at least it would say that we're trying to step up the education for the coaches which would help the kids. I bet that there are high school coaches that would love to get a kid that was more developed and it would have a college coach chomping at the bit over a high school coaches player ready to get her to sign.
  16. I don't know coaches around here, I've only meet a hand full. How bout someone do a top 10 coaches poll?
  17. If I was a college coach or even a coach for that matter....here is what I would look for...... Who needs grades when you can pay someone? to take test and do homework, so grades are out the door. She would have to be someone that kids and parents looked up too, so at least 6'5 and a ripping 230lbs. Needs to jack homeruns consistently and when she doesn't, has to to be Jimmy Johns fast. Be able to pitch at least 75mph and is a master of every known pitch to man. When catching, no one dare steals. If she plays infield, you better hit it high cause she has a vertical that would have NBA scouts knocking at her door. If she's playing in the outfield, yeah don't even think your going yard...that's right she'll rob all your homers. Well, I guess that sums it up. Time to wake up from my daydreaming. ??ok with all joking aside.....Grades should matter,you need some brains to play at a high level. But i would look for a kid that could over come let downs...Who cares if you make a mistake, how do you bounce back and that would go for any and all positions. Mentally tough would be my #1 factor. Tons of kids are smart, and athletic. The difference lies between the ears to go to the next level, or at least that's what I think.
  18. Whatever the reasons are for the college the athlete chooses, shouldn't matter to us as fans, coaches, or parents. Be thankful that she has gotten this far in life and will be going to a college. With that said, I think that until teams from Northern Kentucky start dominating and bringing home state titles, all this arguing falls on deaf ears. Any die hard sports fan will want a title versus saying that their homeboy(girl) so and so has stats that are off the charts. Individual stats are normally useless to the athlete that is concerned with how their team is doing. Athletes want championships and all the other hoopla that comes with it such as mvp, or any other individual award is icing on the cake. Remember, even a great athlete that has never experienced a championship will envy the waterboy (Adam Sandler of course) on a championship team. Don't get me wrong, at the end of the day, even if your daughter doesn't accomplish a lot individually or team wise, it's still your little girl....so love her dearly. It sure is hard for kids nowadays to raise parents and sometimes coaches. Give them some slack?? Individuals that succeed in softball are about the team and they will always have a great supporting cast! We, including me, need to take a step back and really think about how this effects softball. If you were new to the sport and saw all this bickering would you want to be apart of it, much less your daughter? To become great, all parents should be asking what they can do to help, coaches should be getting together, even rivalries to educate. I've said it before, knowledge is power and if Northern Kentucky high school softball wants to dominate, your all gonna need help from one another. I'm gonna need help now.ok I'm done?
  19. What are the college coaches looking for when recruiting?
  20. I was just thinking about the schools in Campbell county, but if we're going outside of the county...looks like Ryle is the only state winner in Northern KY area I could find. If one was to chase for titles and had the means, there would be endless oportunities. As far as catholic schools go, I believe Owensboro Catholic has the most titles. I'm just glad to see a school in Campbell county achieving. Not sure if any team in Campbell county has gone as far as Highlands. Anyways good luck to Highlands, but I'm backing the Campbell County softball team and hope to see them blaze their own trail.
  21. I second that, just b/c I've heard it a handful of times. :banana: When you've got a good program, the players and parents that aren't apart of it want it for their program. I guess it's the old saying of, if you can't beat 'em...join 'em. Or commit mutiny:jump:
  22. Does anyone know were Campbell County stands this year? This past year was the 1st time that I kept up with them, but only their record. Not so sure were they are with players and it seems that only the coaches have been brought up from what I could find in past threads.
  23. Doesn't she have to sit a year, before she's eligible again?
  24. Just curious as to how they got involved? Are they gonna be playing with anyone else from around this area? I went to thecup.nl and there are several teams from the USA. Any more information that might help spark some girls curiosity would be appreciated. Hearing about this kinda stuff, hopefully gets more girls and parents involved with the sport. I can't imagine being that age and getting to play a sport that I would assume they love, especially overseas. Big thumbs up to them both.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.